Thread: New Here. Help me decide.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default New Here. Help me decide.

Hi all. I am getting ready to upgrade my 2000 Silverado 2500 gasser. It has been and still is a fantastic truck. I need a one ton deisel and am heavily leaning towards the Duramax. I am looking at 2 to 3 year old single axels. The emissions on modern diesels scare me a bit, but I want a new to me truck that will be reliable. That Is why I am looking at relatively new. I guess my real question is how reliable are these in the first five years? Also does the factory warranty extended to second owners? I have considered buying new to get those warranties but don’t quite have the money for that and I need a truck pretty soon. I can tinker and wrench pretty well but certainly don’t have the knowledge and tools for modern diesels. I am also considering a Dodge but not nearly as much. Thank you
    Last edited by baddarryl; 12-17-2018 at 21:25. Reason: Website didn’t upload my post properly

Arrow

Welcome to the board!

Going back a couple of model years won't eliminate much in the way of emissions control equipment. The following article about the 2011 models illustrates what systems were in place 7 years ago. Plus, going farther back in time cuts more into the 5-year powertrain warranty.

https://www.thedieselpage.com/duramax/LMLDuramaxc.htm

You'd need to go all of the way back to the 2006 LBZ to get to a simpler emissions engine. The "stuff" began appearing in the 2007-2011 time frame.
    Last edited by More Power; 12-18-2018 at 13:28.

Quote Originally Posted by More Power View Post
    Welcome to the board!

Going back a couple of model years won't eliminate much in the way of emissions control equipment. The following article about the 2011 models illustrates what systems were in place 7 years ago. Plus, going farther back in time cuts more into the 5-year powertrain warranty.

https://www.thedieselpage.com/duramax/LMLDuramaxc.htm

You'd need to go all of the way back to the 2006 LBZ to get to a simpler emissions engine. The "stuff" began appearing in the 2007-2011 time frame.
    Yes I have done my reading and I

It happened again what the heck is wrong with this forum ?

Quote Originally Posted by baddarryl View Post
    It happened again what the heck is wrong with this forum ?
    This issue should be resolved, as of this morning (19 December).
    Last edited by DmaxMaverick; 12-19-2018 at 07:53.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Quote Originally Posted by DmaxMaverick View Post
    I'm working on correcting the issue. This happens (recently) when characters from non-US-standard keyboards are used, or when a virtual keyboard is used (such as a cellphone or tablet). Until this is resolved, please try to not use any character that is not entered from a standard US computer keyboard. Check that the font selected (upper/left of the forum post/reply interface) is traditionally common, such as Arial or Verdana (this should prevent non-standard key binding).
    Thanks for your reply. I probably post on about 5 different forums regularly with an iPhone and have not had this problem.

[QUOTE=baddarryl;324546]Hi all. I am getting ready to upgrade my 2000 Silverado 2500 gasser. It has been and still is a fantastic truck. I need a one ton deisel and am heavily leaning towards the Duramax. I am looking at 2 to 3 year old single axels. The emissions on modern diesels scare me a bit, but I want a new to me truck that will be reliable. That Is why I am looking at relatively new. I guess my real question is how reliable are these in the first five years? Also does the factory warranty extended to second owners? I have considered buying new to get those warranties but don

Forum scrambled my post. I'm not going to retype.
    Last edited by Kennedy; 12-18-2018 at 13:43.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!

[QUOTE=Kennedy;324551]
    Quote Originally Posted by baddarryl View Post
    Hi all. I am getting ready to upgrade my 2000 Silverado 2500 gasser. It has been and still is a fantastic truck. I need a one ton deisel and am heavily leaning towards the Duramax. I am looking at 2 to 3 year old single axels. The emissions on modern diesels scare me a bit, but I want a new to me truck that will be reliable. That Is why I am looking at relatively new. I guess my real question is how reliable are these in the first five years? Also does the factory warranty extended to second owners? I have considered buying new to get those warranties but don

Forum scrambled my post. I'm not going to retype.
    That happened to me too......weird! Is that common on this forum?