Thread: Injector rebuild

Default Injector rebuild

I replaced my injectors last month and now I have the old injectors laying on my workbench, mocking me, and I want to do something with them.

My main hobby is learning how to do things that I don't know how to do and since I have this old set of injectors now seems like the time to learn how to rebuild them. I've searched the forums and gotten a general idea but I need some specifics.

For openers, what parts am I going to need, how do I identify them, and where do I buy them?

Any recommendations on a tester would be great too.

Thanks
    1983 Chevrolet C20

1923ish Ford Model T Touring

2000 Lincoln Town Car

Arrow

Start with a pressure tester. You can make one with an (old?) hydraulic bottle jack, tubing, and a pressure gage in the 2600-3000 PSI range (offers the best resolution for the pressures you'll be working with. 6.2/6.5 injectors should pop in the 1600-2200 PSI range (depending on the engine and application), so don't limit equipment to only the minimal 6.2L range.

Most of the time, only nozzles and seals are needed. Occasionally, springs or plungers. You'll likely need some extra shims for fine tuning, but you may also end up with some extras (you won't know until you actually begin testing, and new springs and plungers vary enough to matter).
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Where do I buy nozzles, seals, springs, plungers, and shims? I've searched high and low but I can't really find anything.
    1983 Chevrolet C20

1923ish Ford Model T Touring

2000 Lincoln Town Car

I'll add a bead blast cabinet, lapping block, and some VERY fine lapping compound to the list of things needed. It's not exceptionally difficult, but if you don't get the surfaces lapped fine enough you'll have leaks at the middle.

Lots and lots of shims-I mean lots.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!