Thread: Does 2011 have new fuel filter?

Default Does 2011 have new fuel filter?

I heard that the 2011 LML uses and new type fuel filter. Anyone know for sure? Thinking about getting 2011 and don't want to have extra fuel filters on hand if they wont work.
    2002 Silverado LT, X-Cab LB, D/A, 4X4, Summit White, Graphite, Line-X bedliner, Westin boards (black), Catch All mats, Jordan brake controller towing 2001 30RKFS Cedar Creek 5er<br />Wife\'s Ride: 2006 Cadillac STS, Radiant Bronze

Arrow

That's a good question. I haven't been up and personal with the filter, so I had to go check.

Most parts stores don't list them online. Napa does. The 2011 model shows only 3960XE. 2010 and earlier shows 23960 (original style appearance), but also the 3960XE (which is the "Gold" model, and about $15 more). The Wix part number is 3960, which is what I've been using for years (Napa's Gold line are Wix filters, and use the Wix number within the Napa part number). It seems the 2011 is unique, but the filter is backward compatible to previous year models. The filter is a bit different in appearance, but the WIF/drain looks/measures the same, as does the threaded mounting area. Go to napaonline.com, look up the part numbers and you'll see what I'm talking about.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

I have been buying Baldwin BF7827 filters 6 at a time. So it looks like I'll be OK in placing another order. Thanks for the help.
    2002 Silverado LT, X-Cab LB, D/A, 4X4, Summit White, Graphite, Line-X bedliner, Westin boards (black), Catch All mats, Jordan brake controller towing 2001 30RKFS Cedar Creek 5er<br />Wife\'s Ride: 2006 Cadillac STS, Radiant Bronze

Wink

DmaxMavrick:
    The Chevy dealer in Sheridon Wy had one of the napa filters opened up in comparison with the GM/Parker Racors. It didn't look good to me. Now it may have been a different filter just for sales purposes but it had a small filter with large pleats. It was housed in a plastic caseing. The GM/Parker Racor was at least twice as big in filtration media. I didn't think much about it until I read this post and your comments.
    My self I still think that there still old style single pleat filters out there that parts houses are trying to unload. I guess that I'm just parinoid but thats just me. I have a scheduled fuel filter change coming up and have a Baldwin in the shop that will go on but can't be sure that it is a duel pleat either. I will run it for 10K and change that one out as well. I just want to get what I pay for.
    Take a look at the internals of that Napa filter. Might be interesting.
    Denny
    2018 GMC Denali HD 2500 L5P.

Arrow

I wasn't endorsing or questioning the quality of any of them. Function is simple, and they only have to work. The Napa Gold filter states 4 micron in the description, which isn't good enough, in my book. Technically speaking, larger pleats are a good thing. Perhaps better than more smaller ones. A larger surface area translates to a slower fuel velocity passing through, and slower is more effective filtering.

For my use, it really isn't that important. Actually, I prefer the original filters, with one larger pleat element. They flow better and last longer before becoming restrictive. The last stop for the fuel before the pump, on my 2001, is a Kennedy Mega filter, so anything before that needs only to sift the clods. I've never had the Mega plug up, but replace it every 18 months to 2 years anyway.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

the new Parker Racor/AC-Delco is a 4 micron filter with changes to catch more emulsified water. supposedly that hurts injectors a lot. I was surprised that they changed from a 2 to a 4 micron

I have a 10 micron pre-Filter and have decided to run 2 of the pre-filters in tandem, the 10, then a 2 micron and then on to the regular filter. I will put one of the Kennedy lift pumps in between the filters and the tank. The back 2 filters should catch just about everything and the primary will simply be there for insurance purposes.

dc