Thread: 5th wheel capacity

Default 5th wheel capacity

I know there are other threads. My problem is they tend to say that the towing capacity is around 6-8k. I know this cant be right.

I am tryin to find someone who has pulled 40ft containers with theirs. I have seen this done a few times with newer trucks but not with a 90's and was wondering what you max was that you are comfortable with and any details about your setup would be appreciated.

I have pulled a 2k trailer with 9 tons of rock. My gross was around 28k, on a hitch. It was not a fun ride. I didn't do over 45 much for the 20 miles I drove because I didn't have trailer brakes hooked up. I also don't know that my turbo is working correctly. But I know its doable if I fix these things so that blows the 6-8k idea out of the water. The biggest problem I had was actually after I hard braked my heat shot up over 210 and I had to give it a break.

I have a 96 3500 6.5 crew cab long bed with 35's and a 3" lift. I know I will probably want to go with smaller tires. What else do you recommend and what are you comfortavle pulling weight wise? Any info on insurance/dot would also be helpful. I have a 2011 mack that I take to the port now but I feel like its being wasted on the light loads I'm pulling, especially for the pay

I am a fan of the 6.5L diesel for what it is: an economical fuel-efficient engine. However, I never recommend them for towing purposes, since there are SO many better alternatives available now. The 6.5L was essentially designed in 1981 when the 6.2L diesel was developed. The 6.2L was designed for one purpose: fuel efficiency in pickup truck platform. The 6.5L is basically a bored-out 6.2L with better fuel delivery and a modest turbo.

I have towed a lot with a 6.2L and 6.5L, and I will be honest: you will be disappointed. Especially if you're talking about commercial use, which is what it sounds like from your post.

The 6-8K towing capacity is correct. You can tow more than that, but not comfortably or fast.

Don't get me wrong, I love my 6.5L that is very reliable with 357K miles on it right now. But if you are towing trailers for a living, go with a Duramax, Cummins, or Powerstroke. Leave the 6.5L for recreational fun.

Casey
    1995 K1500 Tahoe 2 door, 6.5LTD, 4L80E, NP241, 3.42's, 285/75R16 BFG K02's; 1997 506 block; Kennedy OPS harness, gauges, Quick Heat plugs, and TD-Max chip; Dtech FSD on FSD Cooler; vacuum pump deleted, HX35 turbo, Turbo Master, 3.5" Kennedy exhaust, F code intake; dual t/stats, HO water pump, Champion radiator; Racor fuel filter

I had a 94 K2500 with 285s and 5 speed. I pulled a 36 ft Automate 5th wheel over Pacheco Pass empty. It was a chore and the tall tires didn't help. I had to replace the speedo sending unit in it and set it to 3.73 gear ratio to compensate for the taller tires and 4.10 gears. It was spot on.

I now have 2006 K3500 with stock tires and the gearing with the Allison is perfect. Pulled the same trailer from San Jose, CA to Nevada over Donner Pass no problem. Went thru Utah and the north end of the grand canyon up to Flagstaff AZ. It worked like a champ. Just kept an eye on Pyro and boost gages and let her work. I weighed before leaving San Jose, 23,500 gross.

The whole trip to Tennessee i was sure glad i wasn't pulling with my 6.5.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government."
    -Patrick Henry

A5150nut
    2006 K3500 D/A
    94 6.5 4x4 5spd Sold