Thread: Having trouble with my 82 6.2 liter diesel please help

Default Having trouble with my 82 6.2 liter diesel please help

was driving my 82 6.2 liter diesel to the lake the other day and it was running perfectly fine. I parked then when I went to leave it cranked for a second then died... Wouldn't start... Finally after a bit of trying it cranked so I drove it and it was surging, thinking I was low on fuel (it wasnt) I stopped at a gas station and it wasn't only took 4 gal. Took off and it was running rough, so I assumed it was the fuel filters... Changed both out and was hard starting but cranked and was running smooth for a few minutes then it started surging again, so I took it home. Which leads me to today... Didn't want to start... So I pulled of the air filter and noticed this (Photo) at the back of the intake and hadn't noticed it before and I have no idea what it is... Looks liked it popped out? Any and all help would be appreciated... Im at a loss and need it... Thanks for your time
    Attached Images Attached Images

Welcome aboard!

That's the glow plug controller. If failed or disconnected, it may cause rough or no starts when cold, but that's all.

Your problem sounds like a fuel restriction, air intrusion, or more likely, a failed fuel lift pump. Look for fuel leakage/weepage below the fuel pump pod on the lower/right side of the engine. It has a weep hole that will almost always leak fuel if the diaphragm has ruptured.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Thanks for your welcome and reply... I finally got it to crank, and noticed a leak (facing engine) on the back drivers side of engine... but could find no leak... Upon farther inspection it seems to be running down from drivers side lower back of engine... Doesn't look like it's coming from injector or secondary filter line... Any ideas?

Check the injector return lines, including the terminating caps at the rear injectors. Any leakage into the engine valley will run back through the valley, and out a drain at the left/rear area, and usually down the block into/onto the converter cover. A common leak on old equipment can be the injection pump throttle shaft, which will leak into the valley (and so on). The injector return line crossover at the front is also suspect, which can leak from old rubber lines, connections, or rust-through or abrasion of the steel line. The injector lines can leak if abraded or cracked, too. Be careful when feeling around, as the injection pressure is more than enough to inject fuel through your skin from a pinhole leak. The return lines are just above atmospheric pressure, so no worries there.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Thanks for your help, I will update tomorrow.