Thread: What in the US are there quality 6.2/6.5 repair shops?

Default What in the US are there quality 6.2/6.5 repair shops?

I am in the Miami/Fort Lauderdale, FL. area of the country and I am having a horrible time finding a good 6.2/6.5 mechanic. I created a post a year or so ago asking the DieselPage community if someone knew of a good 6.2/6.5 mechanic in the area with no luck. I understand part of the problem is that the new mechanics coming these days are trained on and with computers which in itself eliminates a whole class of mechanics, so I must rely on the community of older mechanics.

I have a 6.2L diesel put in a Land Rover Defender 90 and at the time I thought it would be a great conversion, but it turned out to be a complete nightmare in terms of finding mechanics that feel comfortable working on this engine. To be fair, not all of the problems that I had was related to the engine. I had problems on the Land Rover side of the equation. The gearing had to be changed to match a diesel because the stock engine was gas. To get more hp I had to turbo it and there was an issue of space, but with the great people that troll this forum, help me install the turbo in great style. I owe a great deal of gratitude to this community!

The issue for me and many others that have this engine and are not "gear heads" is where do we take our vehicles for maintenance and repairs?

There should be place where members of this community can go to determine where in the country to go to have major repairs done. I am assuming that the local mechanics should be able to handle minor repairs and maintenance.

I would be willing to drive or tow my vehicle 4 to 6hrs or even 9hrs to acquire quality service and stay one or two nights until the job in done.

The problem that I am having now is that when the rpms gets between 1500 and 2000 the vehicle bucks like it is not getting a steady flow of gas, but what my mechanics discovered is that it was a problem of the injection pump gear and how the injection pump was secured. I don't completely understand the situation, but when the engine and injection pump was installed it should have been secured by three bolts but only one bolt was installed, so like an out of balanced tire at a certain speed one gets vibrations, the injection pump and the gear vibrates the same.

Even though the mechanics discovered the problem they feel a bit uncomfortable working on it. Right now they want me to locate a rebuilt injection pump, gear and nut, but after installation the timing and other things needs to be optimized.

For this and other reasons it would be nice to take my vehicle to a shop that would smile to see any of our great 6.2/6.5 engines.

If anyone have any thoughts or suggestions please leave a post for me and the community.
    Thanks!

-Madrugador
    Last edited by Madrugador; 03-15-2020 at 16:40. Reason: Error in title. It should be Where instead of What!