Thread: cummins swap

Default cummins swap

i have a 96 k3500 with 117,000 miles on it when i got it has alcoa rims a 4 inch exhaust intercooler.the 6,5 thats under the hood is a good engine and im considering to go buy a new am gneneral 6.5 and build it up to get abt 300 or more hp out of it if i ever get money.i go competition pulling and so far the farthest ive gotten was 265.1 feet i havnt seen any other 6.5 do what mine can pulling the sled.i dont think 265.1 feet isnt bad for a late model truck where others in the street stock class are running cummins dmax,s and fords.which i did out pull 2 brand new fords not a big shocker there FORD SUCKS.

now im also considering a cummins swap.can anyone tell me what it would take to drop the 5.9 cummins in the engine bay of the old chevy.like wirieing parts id need etc everything id need to do it.

Hello, I did a cummins swap in a 98 3/4 suburban that had a 6.5

A lot more information is needed on your current truck. For example is it standard or automatic transmission. What year of cummins do you want to swap?

In my suburban, I kept the 4L80E trans and NP246 transfer case. So I decided to use a standalone transmission controller. I also kept the stock A/C compressor and alternator.
    1998 1500 Suburban 4x4 3:42gears 5.9 Cummins

Hey Computer monkey,
    I need some advice on a cummins swap. I'm fairly new to this site, and have never posted before. How do contact you directly?(if your interested) Thanks

check with edahall if you say cummins to me Id say Im sorry personally Id take a 6.0 powerstroke over a cummnis I had a 97 dodge with a 12 valve 5.9 and i willl never own annother but I do know I am a minority for that fact but I know he has a cummins powered burb and loves it and loves the cummins I would take a simple non turbo 6.2 with an nv4500 behind it with a db2 pump any day but this is coming form a guy who has had 2 dodges with 5.9 cummins turbo diesels who was so unhappy with them he swapped them for gm 4,3 v6s and was much happier but dont take it form me there are many who think the cummins is the way to go I think its a clatter box turd and more trouble than its worth to fit between chevy frame rails but check with him and some others
    1982 chevy k30 srw P400 6500/nv4500 first car/mid life crisis till I die
    2013 chevy impala ltz loaded wifes new car

2002 nissan maxima gas sipper

Quote Originally Posted by Vin82k3500 View Post
    check with edahall if you say cummins to me Id say Im sorry personally Id take a 6.0 powerstroke over a cummnis I had a 97 dodge with a 12 valve 5.9 and i willl never own annother but I do know I am a minority for that fact but I know he has a cummins powered burb and loves it and loves the cummins I would take a simple non turbo 6.2 with an nv4500 behind it with a db2 pump any day but this is coming form a guy who has had 2 dodges with 5.9 cummins turbo diesels who was so unhappy with them he swapped them for gm 4,3 v6s and was much happier but dont take it form me there are many who think the cummins is the way to go I think its a clatter box turd and more trouble than its worth to fit between chevy frame rails but check with him and some others
    my experience with cummins is different then yours, my brother bought a 99 dodge 1ton dually that was a 24v maybe that was the difference? his truck had so much power it was very easy hauling heavy loads.
    With this on the highway we drove 55 for safety, stopping was a slow gradual thing but when sudden acceleration was needed it was instant.
    93 GMC Sierra 2500
    6.5L TD 5 spd Manual trans Sold

97 Chevy Silverado CrewCab K3500 Dually
    6.5L TD Auto