Thread: Looking for a 6.2 engine

Default Looking for a 6.2 engine

Looking for a 6.2 for my '82 with an NP833 trans. Long story short, I drove 2 hours with my tow dolly to pick it up, we got it started and it sounded awful. Engine was squeaky and sounded like something was holding it back and it was missing. After running about 20 seconds, and as soon as I realized that the engine was shot, I grabbed the key to shut it down and BANG, it stopped dead. It is locked up. Either a thrown rod or who knows. It has its original red block, which looks clean otherwise. I am looking for another engine for it. Can I use a later engine? I am guessing an automatic engine and manual engine are the same? Any advice would be appreciated as I search for a replacement engine.
    Mike Rausch

1982 C30 Scottsdale, 6.2, NP833, 2wd

Arrow

You can use any 6.2L or 6.5L long/short block up to the latest. The only thing that makes your engine unique (other than the beautiful red paint), is the injectors, and flex plate or flywheels are different between 2-piece and 1-piece rear main seals. Any non 82 will require long, fine thread 6.2L injectors to fit your existing fuel system. 1982 model year injectors were coarse thread. If you replace with a short block, you'll be using your heads, so no issue. Everything else you may encounter replacing with a used or reman engine is easily workable (bolt thread differences and such, but minor).
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Quote Originally Posted by DmaxMaverick View Post
    You can use any 6.2L or 6.5L long/short block up to the latest. The only thing that makes your engine unique (other than the beautiful red paint), is the injectors, and flex plate or flywheels are different between 2-piece and 1-piece rear main seals.
    So I will need a different flywheel? I have the oddball manual overdrive transmission. Any idea which flywheel I’ll need for a later engine?
    Mike Rausch

1982 C30 Scottsdale, 6.2, NP833, 2wd

Arrow

You'll have to work that out. The flywheel will need to match the bolt pattern of the crank. Any 6.2 up to about 1990 (I don't recall exactly, so verify that) will be the same as yours. I may be wrong about the flywheel fitment, it's been a looooong time. The crank flanges are different (to accommodate the different seals), but now that I think about it, I'm not sure.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Be sure when you find a flywheel that it is for a 6.2/6.5 as none of the other GM ENGINES flywheels will work.

Stay away from the DUAL MASS flywheels...bad jump....

All the years should fit.

If the engine you use came from a truck with an auto trans you will need to install the pilot bushing/bearing in the rear of the crank.

Other than this you should have no issues using most any flywheel that is for a 6.2/6.5 AGAIN AVOID THE DUAL MASS FLYWHEELS
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

Mike I may have a lead on a crate 6.2or 6.5 in the Boston area. If you send me your contact info, the person that has it is not a DP member, I will forward it to him.
    MEP<br />01 2500HD, LB 4x4 Dmax w/ZF-6 spd., SBC Solid Steel Flywheel<br />DP member #739