Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gasoline in my 6.6 Duramax

Default Gasoline in my 6.6 Duramax

I own a 2004 GMC with 33k miles.
    Last night my designated pumped gasoline in my Duramax.
    Gas gauge was in the RED and pumped $20 of unleaded gas.
    My truck quit after driving about 10 miles up a montain road.
    How much "long term" damage might this have caused ?
    Do I dare take it to GMC dealer to drain gas and purge fuel lines
    since they might VOID my extended warranty ?
    Thanks

Siphon the tank out well and fill with fresh fuel and change fuel filter.
    The unit should recover ok. The Durabucks does not use a pump like the 6.5 so it should be ok once you feed it what it likes.
    RC

I talked to the Gale Bank Engineering tech guys and told me that if
    the engine shut down at idle,they wouldn't be concerned.
    The fact that it shut down under a load climbing a mountain
    is a concern.
    I realize there are other threads regarding this but my concern is the
    high concentration of gasoline versus diesel in my tank at the time of shutdown.
    Thanks

Arrow

There will be several here that will preach otherwise, but I say no harm done. My significant other(s) made a habit of pumping the wrong fuel into EVERY Diesel (5.7, 300D, 6.2, 7.3, 6.5, 6.6) I've had since day one. It's gotten much better lately, though.

If you have $20 of #2 in it, that's not much, these days. I say fill'er up, bleed it, and run out the fuel. Fill up again at 1/2 tank, and don't look back. Adding a little extra additive in the meanwhile will help with the missing lubrication. The gas at less than 25% won't hurt anything. At all. If it makes you feel better, drain the tank first, but nothing will be gained.

Anyone that believes otherwise can show up with evidence gas has ever harmed a Diesel engine. If the Diesel concentration is too little, the engine just quits. Only damage that can happen is lack of lubrication if the mix is ran for too long. Add some lube, and don't worry about it. Don't worry about changing the fuel filter, either, unless you think you got some dirty gas. If you think you've never ran gas in your Diesel engine, think again. There will be at least 5% in every tank you pump from your favorite supplier, and most of the time much more. Pull a sample and check it out. You may be surprised.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

It's not a good thing to do, but it's done and you are not the first. 9 out of 10 drain, refill, etc w/o issues. Occasionally we hear of the poor guy who paid $15k for a new engine (or submitted to Insurance) which was probably unnecessary.

I think there are a lot of scammers out there that would try to rip a guy off in this position...
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!

Change out the filter as well. I say no harm done.
    1998 6.5 2500 4X4 dynatrac pro 60, ARB, 35"BFG's
    06 D Max Express 5"MBRP EFI live

Arrow

Pull a couple of the glow plugs, looking for evidence of heat damaged tips - like blisters or fractures. If the glow plug tips appear undamaged, so will the remainder of the engine.

A few years ago I heard from a fellow 6.5 member who (through a mixup at the pump) filled a half full tank the rest of the way with gas. He drove some number of miles till the problems started.... His fresh rebuilt 6.5 was eventually torn down. He reported all eight glow plug tips were burned off and the pistons suffered from heat fractures.

How hard the engine was worked with the gas mixture likely plays a part in what happens, as well as what the percentage of gas is in the fuel mix.

A 100% gas mix probably wouldn't allow the engine to run at all, but some % apparently causes high combustion temps.

I vote drain the tank, fuel lines, and fuel filter. Best not to take a chance.

Jim

Change the filter fill w/ diesel maybe add some additive w/ lubricity qualities, and run it, fill up @ 1/2 tank and enjoy your truck. Our shop has done many, although not an HPCR fuel system, would not think you should have a problem. bob............
    Bob O.
    2004 K2500 DA LLY CC LT LB Wow! Edge w/A + BS + CAT pre fuel filter, 06 air box,
    2002 C6500 EC. 7.2 Cat NoMar rollback/ 92 C7500, 7.2 Cat, 25ton No-Mar / 2005 C5500 D/A rollback / 1969 Corvette 350-350 4spd AC T-top stock orginal
    XP850LE WOW nice ATV, 09-550XP hers, 03-Predator, 04 Honda400EX, 05-Banshee, 08-KTM525, 08 KFX700, 38' enclosed GN hitch

Any update for us on this one? I have been hoping to hear good news that you are back up and running!!!
    2011 Chevrolet Tahoe 5.3L daily driver
    • Previous owner of two 1994 6.5L K3500s, '01, '02, and '05 6.6L K2500s, '04 C4500, '06 K3500 dually, '06 K3500 SRW, '09 K3500HD SRW, '05 Denali
    • Total GM diesel miles to date : ~950K

Hello,
    I'm up and running fine,which I had no doubts it would.Like I
    said before,I was concerned about long term damage.After serious
    research, I'm convinced the computer shut my truck down before
    any serious damage was done.( I hope).It was suggested to me to
    add some ATF to fuel tank but I added a German diesel additive instead.
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR INPUT

Great news! Glad it worked out with no ill effects.

German fuel additive in a Japanese (Isuzu) descent engine in an American truck. We are truly a global economy in the making...
    2011 Chevrolet Tahoe 5.3L daily driver
    • Previous owner of two 1994 6.5L K3500s, '01, '02, and '05 6.6L K2500s, '04 C4500, '06 K3500 dually, '06 K3500 SRW, '09 K3500HD SRW, '05 Denali
    • Total GM diesel miles to date : ~950K

Well said.
    The additive I used is LIQUI (no D) MOLY DIESEL PURGE

Mark,
    Don't leave out a Mexican owner LOL

Glad to hear that you are up and running again.

The biggest problem I have seen with running a high concentration of Gasoline in the 6.6 comes from lack of lubrication in the pump. However as many have said already, you USUALLY will not do any long term damage. I have only had one case where a guy did damage his pump from this, but he filled up in Georgia, and then drove all the way to Daytona Beach for bike week towing his big bike trailer. The lack of lubrication ruined his pump.

For those who DONT know, the reason many of these trucks die from running on gasoline is that gas is not as "thick" or viscous as diesel. As such, when a injection pump is trying to build up the high pressures that the engines may operate on (LMM being up to 180 MPa), gasoline is too thin for these pumps to attain. Remember that these are high pressure/low volume systems. Since you cant get the gasoline to build up the pressures, you either get a shutdown, or the system will set a low pressure code, and then put your truck in "limp" mode which limits mas pressure control solenoid to approx 65 MPa.

NutNbutGMC Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DealerDieselGuy View Post
    Glad to hear that you are up and running again.
    That was 2 years ago... (June of 2006).

Where's Skinny Blinky when you need him?

Welcome aboard to the forum.

maybe skinny is on the dark side
    Quote Originally Posted by NutNbutGMC View Post
    That was 2 years ago... (June of 2006).

Where's Skinny Blinky when you need him?

Welcome aboard to the forum.

I'd agree w/JK. I've had the pleasure(???)of doing that to both my 99 L65 AND the DMAX in the 99. Both times, it took me almost 20 gal(it's a 42 gal tank)before I smelled something amiss(OK, I'm SLOW but remember, I'm OLD). I just went in & bought a gallon of oil, put it in the tank & went on.
    The 6.5L ran another 100K before it gave way to the DMAX. The DMAX about 2K w/no problems.
    Granted, neither time it ran very far before I added the oil.
    Gordon Marks
    Tampa, FL (Valrico, FL actually)
    99 Suburban C2500 W/LB7
    55 Series 1 3600
    33 Chevy 4dr street Rod
    64 Biscayne 409 NSS
    "10.81@124.65"]10.81@124.65 3920lbs.
    gordon@marksair.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgTlZIId4cI
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuRxgnvHKAI

The polar opposite, but it shows how much work one stupid mistake like that creates :P.

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel Enthusiast View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgTlZIId4cI
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuRxgnvHKAI

The polar opposite, but it shows how much work one stupid mistake like that creates :P.
    Welcome aboard, and thanks for the contributions.

While I wouldn't call these "stupid" mistakes, they are mistakes, nonetheless. The recovery methods in the videos aren't the best methods, but got the job done. Like he said, "Fire is good, increases ratings." Not the sharpest tool in the shed, methinks. Seemed he was disappointed it didn't blaze up.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Anyone remember the old Army M113 APC. Multi fuel diesel engine. In a pinch you could use MoGas with 5 gallons of 30 W oil and it would run just fine. Just my 2 cents worth.