TheDieselPage.com Forums

The Diesel Page Forums

2019 - TDP's 23rd Anniversary
What's New | Feature Articles | Product Reviews | Member's Area | Free Forum Registration
Duramax 6600 Diesel Page | Advertiser's Section | Classified Ads | The Diesel Page - Publications

Go Back   TheDieselPage.com Forums > 2001-2019 Chevrolet & GMC 2500HD/3500 Light Trucks > Duramax 6600
Register FAQ Members List Photo Album Mark Forums Read

Duramax 6600 Welcome to the Internet's first Duramax 6600 diesel discussion forum for the LB7, LLY, LBZ, LMM, LML, LGH & L5P RPO code engines. Tips on performance, fuel economy, troubleshooting and more.

Old 11-23-2018, 11:03 AM
Enthusiast

Default Help please, can't prime filter

Happy Thanksgiving, here's what's happening. I used the remote starter this morning, it was about 14 degrees out, it ran for 30 seconds maybe then just quit. I tried once turning the key to see if it would light and it didn't. Picked up new AC fuel filter and put it in. It will not prime. Loosened bleed screw, pumped hundreds of times, nothing coming up. Open drain on the bottom of filter to see if I was getting anywhere and it's dry. I tried cranking it, then opened bleeder screw, slight hissing for a second or two, sounded like air going in. Almost a full tank of fuel. Fuel filter that was in it was only 11 months old, about 30k on it.

I flashed the ECM with stuff Kennedy Diesel, which I couldn't be happier with results, better mileage, much less DEF consumption, sounds more like a diesel. Also have a Fitch Fuel Catalyst which I think I like also.

I'm becoming a believer in a lift pump setup, thoughts on those appreciated also.
Thanks for the help, truck apart and dead in driveway.
Jesse
Old 11-23-2018, 11:20 AM
Administrator

Arrow

Welcome aboard!

To keep it simple, at 14F, it sounds like the fuel is iced up, likely in the supply line before the filter. Begin by plugging in the block heater for a couple hours. You'll need to warm it up, like in a heated garage, or wait until it gets enough ambient exposure to a warmer temp (move it to sunlight, if that's an option) to thaw the fuel system. There are other options, but that depends on your urgency (or emergency), such as warming the lines with a hair dryer or using a forced-air shop/space heater under the truck (use due caution...). Once started, the system will keep itself warm as long as you run it often/long enough. Then, make sure your fuel is properly treated for the temperature. Do this BEFORE the next time it freezes, or you'll be repeating the same thing.
dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com
Old 11-23-2018, 11:46 AM
Proud Deplorable

It has been unseasonably cold in this neck of the woods lately. (Actually, all time record cold). However, everyone should have switched over to winter blend by now. When was the last time you filled up? (And where?)

[Edit] My guess is the fuel catalyst is a restrictive element, so there's a good possibility that's where the blockage is.
-Joseph Sobran

Current oil burners: MB 350SDL, Kubota 7510
Gone but not forgotten: '87 F350 7.3, '91 C2500 6.5, '95 K2500 6.5, '06 K2500HD 6.6
Old 11-23-2018, 02:34 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the quick response. I used a heat gun and plugged in the heater and it was running within 20 mins. I just added some Howe's treatment and topped off the tank and ran it around for 20 mins. Running good now.

I filled it up 2 days ago, Citgo in Burlington, MA, they use a fair amount of diesel so I agree, I would think it is already the winter blend. I'm also afraid you might be right with the fuel catalyst being where the blockage was. i concentrated the gun on and around that and around the fuel filter housing and lines nearby. That fuel catalyst is not that restrictive, if at all, but I think it may give a good home for moisture/wax to start to develop and hang out. I'm hoping with treatment I can keep things running well.

Any thoughts on the Fass fuel system or similar lift pump systems? I'll check Kennedy Diesels site also for ideas, but I think I'm adding one of those soon as well.

Thanks again for the responses and help.
Jesse
Old 11-23-2018, 06:46 PM
Administrator

Arrow

If the fuel was winterized, it was not treated to manage the time @ temp you experienced, or we would not be in this discussion. The fuel suppliers normally treat the fuel as a regional need, based on average historical temps with little margin, so any drop significantly below that will cause what you had. I'm certain you are not the only one who experienced this, from that station. In the future, consider using the block heater when temps drop below the norm. It won't heat your entire fuel system, but will usually share enough heat in the engine compartment to edge the temps up enough if it's close to your fuel tolerance. A key-on period of 5-10 minutes before a start can also help, as the fuel filter heater will also engage during that time. All this helps a little, but is not reliable during extremes. It may have been enough today, but we're past that now.

Just a caution on the "heat gun"....
Be careful using one. They get hot enough, if allowed to concentrate, to cause significant damage to surface treatments, seals, and other stuff, and can ignite flammables. I normally recommend a hair dryer, because they aren't hot enough to cause these issues, but are usually warm enough to help in mild conditions.

Fuel lift pump(s) are a great idea, and highly recommended. However, no system (short of a bypass recirc feature) would have helped you today. I recommend visiting Kennedy for a lift pump solution.
dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com
Old 11-23-2018, 08:25 PM
Proud Deplorable

The last 36 hours have been 20-25 degrees below normal, so if they're blending for "normal" temps, well, things won't end well. However, this is not our first rodeo and I didn't hear of any wide spread issues, at least up here. That said, though, Dmax is right, " it was not treated to manage the time @ temp you experienced, or we would not be in this discussion."

Try Jimmy's Garage on Rt 38 at the Wilmington/Woburn line. I bought fuel there for 10 years and never had a bad tank.
-Joseph Sobran

Current oil burners: MB 350SDL, Kubota 7510
Gone but not forgotten: '87 F350 7.3, '91 C2500 6.5, '95 K2500 6.5, '06 K2500HD 6.6

Last edited by JohnC; 11-23-2018 at 08:46 PM.
Old 11-26-2018, 08:31 AM
Long Distance Crew Chief for BMDMAX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse1975 View Post
Almost a full tank of fuel. Fuel filter that was in it was only 11 months old, about 30k on it.

I flashed the ECM with stuff Kennedy Diesel, which I couldn't be happier with results, better mileage, much less DEF consumption, sounds more like a diesel. Also have a Fitch Fuel Catalyst which I think I like also.

I'm becoming a believer in a lift pump setup, thoughts on those appreciated also.
Thanks for the help, truck apart and dead in driveway.
Jesse
30k is about 2x the expected life of a fuel filter these days.

Drop me an email and I have a nice prepared email with all of my fuel system recommendations including this:

http://www.kennedydiesel.com/detail.cfm?ID=289
2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!
Old 11-27-2018, 03:47 AM
Enthusiast

I change mine every 10,000 miles regardless of what the DIC tells me. Filters aren't that expensive and I have done it so many times it is a piece of cake.

'06 Sierra LBZ 4x4 Crew SB, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, TTT/Schefenacker Mirrors
'98 Suburban, 245,000 - sold 7-4-06
Old 11-28-2018, 05:33 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the email JK, when I get a bit of time I'll be ordering a pump and filter kit. I like the install under the air box, pretty slick.

What's the word on the new filters, the AC ones appear to be melt blown plastic/polypropylene/PVC something white as opposed to the layers of paper media. I'll cut the one I just took out when I get a chance. I just wonder if the Baldwin dual element paper media is a better filter than the melt blown plastic.

thanks again for all the help
Jesse
Old 11-28-2018, 08:07 AM
Long Distance Crew Chief for BMDMAX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse1975 View Post
Thanks for the email JK, when I get a bit of time I'll be ordering a pump and filter kit. I like the install under the air box, pretty slick.

What's the word on the new filters, the AC ones appear to be melt blown plastic/polypropylene/PVC something white as opposed to the layers of paper media. I'll cut the one I just took out when I get a chance. I just wonder if the Baldwin dual element paper media is a better filter than the melt blown plastic.

thanks again for all the help
Jesse

That's a tough call on the filters. The AC Delco is definitely unique. More of a synthetic fabric type material. There is also another small cartridge filter inside wrapped with a microscreen. I suspect that the internal filter is there to catch fibers that might sluff off.
2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!