TheDieselPage.com Forums

The Diesel Page Forums

2019 - TDP's 23rd Anniversary
What's New | Feature Articles | Product Reviews | Member's Area | Free Forum Registration
Duramax 6600 Diesel Page | Advertiser's Section | Classified Ads | The Diesel Page - Publications

Go Back   TheDieselPage.com Forums > The Diesel Page Forums > 6.5L Turbo Diesel
Register FAQ Members List Photo Album Mark Forums Read

6.5L Turbo Diesel 1992-00 6.5L Turbo Diesel - Welcome to the Internet's first discussion forum for the 6.5L diesel engine. Tips on performance, upgrades, cooling, fuel economy, troubleshooting and more.

Old 06-09-2019, 08:10 AM
Old6.5Lfart

Default Which Resistor to use? Or No Resistor at all?

I did a search for this and came up with nothing. Searching "resistor" found too many to search through.

Which resistor should be used in the PMD/FSD? I've seen #5 and #9's
What's the difference?
Can you run without one at all?

Getting the old resistor out is a booger. I'm thinking that if mine dies on the road (I have a spare), can I run the new one without a resistor if I am unable to get the old resistor out at the time?

Should I purchase a new resistor? if so which one and why?
Old 06-09-2019, 09:08 AM
Enthusiast

Hi
Getting the resistor out is easy with the right tool.
There is a hole in the resistor that you can hook with a wire with a 90 bend near the end.
I believe that the #5 is a happy medium.And yes you need the resistor.
90 Chev 3500 c/c 4x4,6.2na,400 auto,4:10 gears.DSG Timing gears,main girdle, isspro tach, pyro,boost,oil and trany temp.Dual Tstats, High volume peninsular pump,on shelf, Custom turbo and intercooler 85%complete. Change of plans for the dually, it's going to get a Cummins. Both trucks are Blue 90 4x4 crews
Old 06-09-2019, 06:04 PM
Proud Deplorable

IIRC there are two holes in the resistor. A paper clip bent into a "U" shape with a tiny hook at a right angle on each end will pull it out.

The resistor tells the ECM the pump's calibration. The value is stored in the ECM. Usually, the ECM won't notice if the resistor is missing. Only when it decides to read the value will it complain. If it can't read the resistor it will default to the lowest fuel map.

The right resistor for your new PMD is the same as the one that came with the pump when it was last calibrated. This should be the one in there now, unless someone in the past changed it.

Using a higher number than spec will increase the fuel rate slightly, if you also force the ECM to read the new value. The easiest way to accomplish this is to force a TDC offset learn cycle. However, if you go too far from the correct value the throttle will get touchy and the engine may surge. I had a pump that called for a #4 and when I tried a #9 it was beyond annoying. I want back to a #4, although a #6 probably would have been fine. The power increase is small, though.

So, bottom line, if you have no resistor, you should be fine for a while, and even if it is detected, it will still get you home. To avoid problems all together, either dig the resistor out of the old PMD (easy if you have a remote mount) or get a new one of the same value. If it is not remote mounted, or you can't get to it, you can always read the value stored in the ECM with a Tech II.
-Joseph Sobran

Current oil burners: MB 350SDL, Kubota 7510
Gone but not forgotten: '87 F350 7.3, '93 C2500 6.5, '95 K2500 6.5, '06 K2500HD 6.6
Old 06-10-2019, 05:58 AM
Missy Good Wench ( Moderator)

If you have the old PMD off the rig you can look into the plug socket on the PMD and see the tiny circuit board that the resistor is on..

The will be a number from 1 through 9 on the little circuit board.

I sacrificed a small screwdriver to make a tiny hook that can be inserted into one of the outer holes in the resistor board and lifted alternately from side to side and the resistors come right out.

Do not be tempted to use a #9 (Unless that is what yours had originally) as the computer will usually scream after it finds it.
THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY
Old 06-10-2019, 07:34 AM
Administrator

Arrow

Here's a link to a piece we published some time ago about this topic.

https://www.thedieselpage.com/t/fsdresistor.htm
Old 06-11-2019, 04:09 PM
Old6.5Lfart

You guys are great (assuming you are guys)

Thank you, and as I read you comments I began to remember a little about this.

I may find one online somewhere. PMD's don't go bad too often so I'll probably be good for a while. What happened was (wha' had happn' wus) I made an offer of $175 for a $200 DTech on ebay didn't think they would take it. I needed the truck over the weekend and just bought a Dorman from Oriely's.

Sure 'nuff, they accepted my offer and I couldn't back out. Now I have an extra PMD.

Sleep well everyone, be good and have fun!
Old 06-11-2019, 10:26 PM
Long Distance Crew Chief for BMDMAX

Makes no difference initially and even when it does change you'll never measure any difference.

Try no resistor. It will not care until you do TDC learn or some point months or even years down the road it will suddenly set a DTC when the ECM decides to check it.
2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!
Old 06-16-2019, 12:03 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
Using a higher number than spec will increase the fuel rate slightly, if you also force the ECM to read the new value. The easiest way to accomplish this is to force a TDC offset learn cycle. However, if you go too far from the correct value the throttle will get touchy and the engine may surge. I had a pump that called for a #4 and when I tried a #9 it was beyond annoying. I want back to a #4, although a #6 probably would have been fine. The power increase is small, though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn View Post
Do not be tempted to use a #9 (Unless that is what yours had originally) as the computer will usually scream after it finds it.
I just went out and looked at mine. Apparently the PO installed a #9 at some point. It also had a Diesel Rx PMD (which I've since swapped out for a Flight Systems/D-Tech PMD) and an SSDiesel Supply FSD Heat-Sync.

Regarding a #9 being "beyond annoying" or making the computer "scream," what exactly should I be looking for? A DTC being set? JohnC mentions a touchy throttle or engine surging?

I'm just wondering if I should replace the #9 resistor for better reliability or if there are definite signs that the computer is having issues with it.
Diesel Page Member #2423
Old 06-16-2019, 06:22 PM
Proud Deplorable

A #9 resistor won't set a code. The effect depends on what the pump really calls for. If the correct one is not too far from #9, say #6, the effect is smaller than, e.g. if the pump calls for a #3.

Mine called for a #4. Now that I think about it, the one I couldn't live with may have been a "#13", the largest resistor the PCM will except without setting a code, and larger than anything Stanadyne used.

One exercise you could try is, if you can get your hands on a scanner, see what resistor the PCM thinks is installed. If the PCM thinks it's #9 and driveability is good, just let it go. If PCM says something other than #9, you could force a TDC offset learn, which will also learn the #9 resistor, and see how you like it. If you don't like it, you'll have to get a different resistor and relearn again.

I don't think you can do anything with the resistor that will have an effect on reliability. Driveability would be an issue way before that.
-Joseph Sobran

Current oil burners: MB 350SDL, Kubota 7510
Gone but not forgotten: '87 F350 7.3, '93 C2500 6.5, '95 K2500 6.5, '06 K2500HD 6.6
Old 06-17-2019, 03:29 AM
Enthusiast

Much appreciated, John. I was just concerned from the comments about #9 resistors that the truck could have issues if it was "choking" on dealing with the #9 resistor.
Diesel Page Member #2423