Default .31 pump mods for performance but relaibility

Hi all,
    82 6.2 block, full 5 point girdle
    Arp headstuds, felpro gaskets
    18:1 compression
    2831 pump new with 3/8 inlet
    He351vgt turbo, custom manifolds
    Stock 6.2 intake with homemade hat/intercooled

What can i do to the pump/timing to give maximum performance but also good reliabilty? Gov weights/metering spring/etc?

Also, this is in a 97 truck, used to be a gasser. I just put a new fuel pump in it, and the pressure is 60psi. I know i need it lower, but do i put the regulator on the inlet or outlet of the IP?
    Sounds like a dumb question at first, but almost all fue pressure regulators are on the return side of the system, i just dont see how that will work correctly with this pump. Most of the time you are trying to boost pressure, not bring it down, so it seems the only place it can go is on the feed side with a regulated return?

Or tear my brand new in tank module apart and put a TBI pump in it?

Thanks

Arrow

Almost any OEM fuel injection pump can and will (if healthy) provide more fuel pressure and volume than the 6.2L engine can (sustainably) survive. Timing can be advanced, and advance cam adjusted/modified to optimize combustion. An electronic IP (DS4) would increase the flexibility across a greater power range, but the ultimate usable fuel supply limits are no greater. The caution is keeping EGT's within a reasonable limit for the duration. An intercooler and more efficient turbo go a long way to increase the output within the limits. Be aware, though, the situation you have created WILL force the powertrain to seek a point of failure it was previously designed to withstand. I suggest start building its replacement before it needs one (now is a good time).

Fuel pressure should be no more than about 12 PSI, with constant positive volume. The IP does the high pressure heavy-lifting, and ONLY needs a minimal positive fuel supply (above zero pressure, at all times). The fuel injection pump performance is affected by housing (return) pressure. The recommendation you reference regarding where to regulate the pressure (being after the pump), refers ONLY to the fuel lift pump (gassers don't generally have a fuel injection pump). Gassers with fuel injection rely on the lift pump to provide fuel injector pressure, very much unlike that of Diesels. 60 PSI at the IP inlet is excessively too high. Either regulate it to ~10 PSI before the IP inlet, or use a more appropriate fuel lift pump.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by DmaxMaverick View Post
    Almost any OEM fuel injection pump can and will (if healthy) provide more fuel pressure and volume than the 6.2L engine can (sustainably) survive. Timing can be advanced, and advance cam adjusted/modified to optimize combustion. An electronic IP (DS4) would increase the flexibility across a greater power range, but the ultimate usable fuel supply limits are no greater. The caution is keeping EGT's within a reasonable limit for the duration. i can add some water meth later if needed, but we are talking about a 60mm wheel with a almost unlimited hot side, and a intercooler. I dont know if a .310 pump could push enough fuel to get hot in a automatic 5000lb truckAn intercooler and more efficient turbo go a long way to increase the output within the limits. Be aware, though, the situation you have created WILL force the powertrain to seek a point of failure it was previously designed to withstand. I suggest start building its replacement before it needs one (now is a good time).

the rest of the driveline is pretty heavy, built th400, 205, 14bolt/d44, etc

Fuel pressure should be no more than about 12 PSI, with constant positive volume. The IP does the high pressure heavy-lifting, and ONLY needs a minimal positive fuel supply (above zero pressure, at all times). The fuel injection pump performance is affected by housing (return) pressure. The recommendation you reference regarding where to regulate the pressure (being after the pump), refers ONLY to the fuel lift pump (gassers don't generally have a fuel injection pump). Gassers with fuel injection rely on the lift pump to provide fuel injector pressure, very much unlike that of Diesels. 60 PSI at the IP inlet is excessively too high. Either regulate it to ~10 PSI before the IP inlet, or use a more appropriate fuel lift pump.
    i know its a different animal, but all my 6b's (p7100) have the ofv (regulator) on the outlet/return of the ip. Thats why i was asking about this one. Makes total sense to put it on the inlet side, just double checking.

My "real world" knowledge on the db pumps is great on paper, but i do lack in practical mods for a "reliable play truck." I can bump the timing and crank the fuel up, but other than that, i have never messed with cutting a delivery valve, cam ring, arm advance adjustment, metering springs, high rpm adjust, etc. Those are the mods i am kinda specifically asking about.

Thank your sir!

Arrow

Your P7100 pumps are regulated at the outlet/return to maintain minimal case pressure. The Stanadyne DB pumps do this internally. The HPCA (Housing Pressure Cold Advance) increases the case pressure to advance timing during cold starts.

Turbo housing, compressor and turbine can be more efficient, but the 6.2L engine will withstand finite cylinder pressure and temperature limits, despite anything else you do. Exceed that, and it fails, now or later, or progressively. This is written in stone. Increasing efficiency only extends the output, not the internal limits. Increased (single) turbo efficiency almost always decreases optimal operational range(s). If you find a way around that, please share.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com