Thread: Center-mount turbo 6.5L's

Default Center-mount turbo 6.5L's

In case anyone is interested, I spotted two center-mount turbo 6.5L's in small school buses at Buddy's Upull salvage yard in Springfield, MO today:

http://buddysupull.com/

You have to pull the engines yourself, but they are cheap! The price list online shows diesel engines for $360 plus $110 core charge.

I don't know anything about the condition of the engines, but they looked complete.

Casey
    1995 K1500 Tahoe 2 door, 6.5LTD, 4L80E, NP241, 3.42's, 285/75R16 BFG K02's; 1997 506 block; Kennedy OPS harness, gauges, Quick Heat plugs, and TD-Max chip; Dtech FSD on FSD Cooler; vacuum pump deleted, HX35 turbo, Turbo Master, 3.5" Kennedy exhaust, F code intake; dual t/stats, HO water pump, Champion radiator; Racor fuel filter

How did you search for those?

Quote Originally Posted by maxfli View Post
    How did you search for those?
    I was actually at the yard pulling parts for another project and found the buses myself. Since it's a U-pall yard, they can tell you what vehicles they have in inventory, but can't really tell you what engines they have or what parts are remaining. You'll have to show up and search the yard yourself.

Casey
    1995 K1500 Tahoe 2 door, 6.5LTD, 4L80E, NP241, 3.42's, 285/75R16 BFG K02's; 1997 506 block; Kennedy OPS harness, gauges, Quick Heat plugs, and TD-Max chip; Dtech FSD on FSD Cooler; vacuum pump deleted, HX35 turbo, Turbo Master, 3.5" Kennedy exhaust, F code intake; dual t/stats, HO water pump, Champion radiator; Racor fuel filter

Thanks. I sent them and email asking them about what 6.5's they have. Haven't gotten an answer back yet. Thanks for the info.

Arrow

I was actually at the yard pulling parts for another project
    I miss that. The local yards here all pull the stuff by completely disassembling the vehicles they take in. This usually means yanking the engines with a forklift after removing just the motor mount bolts (literally nothing else).

I explained to the owner one day that just the Duramax engine harness is worth $600 all by itself. His jaw hit the floor, but I doubt his method changed. I also tried to encourage him to save everything (hardware, brackets, manifolds, everything) from the 6.2/6.5/Duramax powered vehicles. I doubt...

I suspect an energetic diesel enthusiast could make a living just by recycling GM diesel related parts... And maybe rebuilding a few vehicles on the side. I wonder what a pristine/restored 1998 6.5L Suburban K2500 would be worth?

Quote Originally Posted by More Power View Post
    I miss that.
    This is a relatively new yard that is over 60 miles away from my house. I had never experienced a "you-pull" yard before, and was surprised at how much I enjoyed just wandering the place! All of the local places are like you described, and won't let you out back to look at anything.

Casey

I, like MP grew up roaming the yard for just the right part....
    Aound our area,the outlying areas remained 'you pull' through the years. In the Ft Wayne area, the yards went away from the 'you pull' years ago, but a new trend in the Midwest is hitting Ft Wayne. "YOU PICK"! What a novel concept! The ads (TV even) make it sound like something new! What a crock! Anyway, we can once again roam the yards for special part you've been looking for!
    d
    Dave, N9LOV
    Member #242
    Dave's Diesels:
    Sold June, 07 '82 1/2 ton 4X4;340k miles
    '97 2 Dr Tahoe, Intercooled,
    Kennedy ECM, 4" Exhaust
    '02 GMC

I've yet to get a reply to my email. been three days.

Over a week and still no answer from Buddy. Guess he don't need business.

Quote Originally Posted by maxfli View Post
    Over a week and still no answer from Buddy. Guess he don't need business.
    From my post above:

"Since it's a U-pall yard, they can tell you what vehicles they have in inventory, but can't really tell you what engines they have or what parts are remaining. You'll have to show up and search the yard yourself."

I don't have any ties to this business, nor am I trying to defend them. It's just the nature of the you-pull type of salvage yard. Have you tried calling them? More than likely, they won't be able to tell you much more than what sort of vehicles they have. They don't put many details in the computer.

Casey

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by DieselDavy View Post
    I, like MP grew up roaming the yard for just the right part....
    Aound our area,the outlying areas remained 'you pull' through the years. In the Ft Wayne area, the yards went away from the 'you pull' years ago, but a new trend in the Midwest is hitting Ft Wayne. "YOU PICK"! What a novel concept! The ads (TV even) make it sound like something new! What a crock! Anyway, we can once again roam the yards for special part you've been looking for!
    d
    The father of a good friend of mine in high school owned a wrecking yard. I bought a few cars (or pieced them together) from them... all classics today. Fun times. Jim

I consider myself VERY lucky to have a you pull type yard as a neighbor! Me and my kids used to take "field trips" to the yard and learn about cars and get them to imagine what stories the cars could tell.
    It's a dying resource.
    1996 Chvy 3500 CCDWLB 6.5 Heathed, NO vac, marine injctrs, ARB bumper, BIG pipe, 3" lift, bright lights, bypass oil system.
    1986 Chvy 6.2 M1009 blazer RAM AIR, Headers, Custom interior
    2001 Chinook RV, V10 gas
    1974 John Deere 1530 diesel tractor
    1993 John Deere 455 Diesel lawn mower
    1967 GTO, 1989 Honda Transalp
    2009 VW Jetta TDI, flashed and piped, 6speed, fun car!
    1998 6.5 suburban, stock, daughter's
    1993 6.5 3500 CCSWLB GM8, Heathed, big exhaust, gauges, Son's

1984 6.2 ATS turbo 3500, SCDWLB - Son's
    3 kids, 1 wife, 1 dog
    Gunsmith, Tactics Instructor, Fabricator USMC 87-93 Semper Fi!