Thread: Fluctuating Boost Pressure

Angry

Okay guys, ive got an interesting problem here.

Going down the road at a sustained speed, my boost fluctuates. At cruising speed (60 MPH) it goes from 5 to 0 then to 5 and back to 0 with no change in vehicle speed or throttle. I can even hear the change in boost.

Also, under hard acceleration the boost seems to do the same thing, but less noticably.

Any ideas?

0-5#'s is a big change but don't forget that the engine needs to be under some what of a load to make boost.
    Charlie P. <br />95 Tahoe 6.5 TD

patrick m. Guest

sounds like a wastegate problem

I would say that you have the solution to my problem charlie, except for a few minor details.

1. It NEVER did this before about a week ago.
    2. Under almost any kind of consistent load, the boost fluctuates i.e. pulling my gooseneck grossing 10,000 the boost does the same thing.

PatrickM is onto something. The solenoid will get cranky with heat and time. On the back side of the waste gate solenoid is a clip and screen. This is the vent circut I believe. I don't think just cleaning this will cure the issue but looking at it might tell you what the "blood pressure" is for the circut.
    Charlie P. <br />95 Tahoe 6.5 TD

Kennedy Guest

I've had good results rejuvenating the solenoids by spraying a bit of WD-40 into the wastegate hose from the canister end.

Drifting boost sounds like a sticking solenoid. Good thing you had a gauge to see it before it quit altogether! If you only knew how many people I argue with about the need for gauges...

That and cooling upgrades. The "I don't ever tow" thing just is not a good excuse or reasoning...