Thread: Boost & oil pressure

mhagie Guest

This weekend while trying to locate the offending injector (knock) I happened to bring up the rpm in neutral to somewhere in the vicinity of 2500 or so, I noticed that the EGT went up to approx 600* and I also had 1# of boost which surprised me as I had always heard no load no boost so any boost was unexpected.
    This is on my 6.5 Avant reman w/new Banks 6.2 turbo kit.
    Also I noticed the oil pressure at idle was 19-20# up to between 40-45# at 2500 or so. this is taken with a new mechanical gauge installed, the factory gauge read 40 at idle up to 60 at 2500, now thats not even close.
    Are all the factory gauges that bad or just mine?
    sending unit is new but not genuine GM part.

catmandoo Guest

my 92 usually reads like 25 to 30 cruisin down the road.i think they are all pretty much off one way or the other.i just put my 6.2 banks on my 6.5 and i wish i could get 1 lb boost with no load i gotta be pushin it pretty hard to get even that.

Mhagie, I get the same results on my gauges. I thought something was wrong because of the mech gauge reading 20# when the oil was hot at idle.
    The stk oil gauge was reading the same psi as b4 the rebuild, a hair under 40#. I'm also using a mechanical temp gauge too. It all started when stk engine temp gauge was at 175* and the fan clutch kick in. I knew then, mech gauges were going to be installed. I had a new motor and was getting bad info. GM gauges suck!!!!
    92 GMC std cab C2500, Kennedy high flow injectors,port matched, Banks exhaust & gauges, intercooler, 97 cooling, Turbo Master.A means for a Toy