Thread: April Update

Arrow

Duramax Diesel
    Power Project

Artificial Intelligence brings the Duramax to life!
    April 2004 Update

http://www.thedieselpage.com/members...roject2-14.htm

Many of the new truck systems are managed and/or monitored by various vehicle computers and electronic control modules. These devices were engineered to fit into specific locations in the new trucks, and retrofitting the various computers/modules into an earlier truck means finding a safe and secure place for them.

We're also pleased to report that the engine has been successfully started and that it runs quite well. Go here to learn more.

Heartbeat Hauler Guest

Very cool MP. Did you have to take any additional measures to insure the electronics were protected, i.e. insulation(vibration, heat, so on), water proofing, etc.?
    JP

Arrow

HH,

The underhood ECM/TCM are sealed and they each use "weatherpack" electrical connectors. The plastic covers are just there to help keep the cases electrically isolated - and for appearance.

Airflow around the computers should be as good as or better than a factory installation, and I'm satisfied with the security of the mounting.

I now have the intercooler installed, and have begun installing the pipes/hoses/clamps. A new update covering the installation should be available in a week or so. Moving forward.....

MP

OC_DMAX Guest

The various controller modules looks to be the most daunting part of the project. Electronics has become so much a part of the everyday vehicle; most people just don't realize how much. I guess you have to account for each input/ouput and make sure the appropriate signal is present.

I have looked through the manual for the DMAX and traced through some of the bus structure. Looks interesting. The part that is missing (in the manual) is the message content on the bus. That would be an interesting document to read (controller to controller communication).

Good luck with the project, looks like excellent progress is being made!

Alan

moondoggie Guest

Good Day!

Are you going to make it to the show in May that you talked about? That would be great.

Blessings!

Brian Johnson, #5044

Arrow

I think so.... I spoke with the auto refinisher late last week about the schedule. I'll drop the truck off this Wednesday, and he'll have it about a week. Once I get it back, I should have enough time to get the exterior and interior put back together, and put a few miles on the truck before May 15th. We'll see.....

MP

Jim,
    You should come to the Rocky Mountain Truck Fest on July 25th here in Colorado, even if the Project truck isn't ready to race! Plenty of folks will be there who would love to see it.
    2002 GMC Sierra 2500HD CC D/ZF SB Fire Red 2WD no longer the fastest stocker up the hill at the TDP Pull Off. -sold-
    2004 Chevy Suburban 5.3L 2WD
    1996 GMC Sierra 1500 5.0L 5sp 2WD LB

Arrow

The Rocky Mountain Truck Fest would be cool.... I read about one of their events in the latest issue of Four Wheeler magazine. At their last event Gale Banks attended with his Cummins powered Dakota.

I dropped the truck off at the auto shop yesterday around noon. They're telling me I should have it back by May 6th or so. Cutting it a little close....

MP

The article you mentioned is what prompted me to look up the date and post it. Even though it's in my back yard I haven't gone before. They used to have a "Bug Fest" and I went to that and posted just about the slowest time in history, at least for a car that kept running all the way to the finish line, in a stock '62 Bug with about 180,000 miles on it, when I was in high school. I don't even remeber what the time was, but it was seconds slower than a stock microbus I was lined up against!

My Dad still has the Bug, he bought it new before I was born.
    2002 GMC Sierra 2500HD CC D/ZF SB Fire Red 2WD no longer the fastest stocker up the hill at the TDP Pull Off. -sold-
    2004 Chevy Suburban 5.3L 2WD
    1996 GMC Sierra 1500 5.0L 5sp 2WD LB