Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: 6.2 Banks Sidewinder Turbo Build

IIRC there was someone who put together a Pop test system with a grease gun somewhere in past article here.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government."
    -Patrick Henry

A5150nut
    2006 K3500 D/A
    94 6.5 4x4 5spd Sold

Quote Originally Posted by a5150nut View Post
    IIRC there was someone who put together a Pop test system with a grease gun somewhere in past article here.
    You can make one with a bottle jack and a short trip to the hardware store. I don't know that a grease gun could develop enough pressure, but would be another simple option if it did.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Thanks for the reply’s gents! The pop pressure tester should be delivered shortly.

Quote Originally Posted by 2INSANE View Post

This build is on hold. Starting fresh with another block. This time no serpentine and no upgraded water pump.
    Did I read that right? You're starting completely over with another block? What's the reason?

Casey
    1995 K1500 Tahoe 2 door, 6.5LTD, 4L80E, NP241, 3.42's, 285/75R16 BFG K02's; 1997 506 block; Kennedy OPS harness, gauges, Quick Heat plugs, and TD-Max chip; Dtech FSD on FSD Cooler; vacuum pump deleted, HX35 turbo, Turbo Master, 3.5" Kennedy exhaust, F code intake; dual t/stats, HO water pump, Champion radiator; Racor fuel filter

Quote Originally Posted by arveetek View Post
    Did I read that right? You're starting completely over with another block? What's the reason?

Casey
    It is on hold. I am tinkering with other blocks at the moment while waiting for parts which will take awhile... I did test the injectors with my new pop pressure tester. They all popped at 1900 psi with a straight stream and no drips. So chances are this experimental motor has a coolant leak somewhere. I’m thinking it is a crack that was unseen in the head or head gasket blew from the 130gpm water pump upgrade pressure.

The 130 GPM water pump did not foul a head gasket. The static pressure increase of the pump is insignificant. If coolant is leaking into the combustion chamber(s), it was built in, and not what you described. Coolant leaks don't smell like unburnt fuel. If combustion gases aren't pressurizing the cooling system, it isn't likely leaking coolant into the cylinder(s). Something else is going on. I'd try different injectors and/or different IP long before coming to that conclusion or giving up. Unseated rings, cylinder issues, or leaky valves are more likely if it's a compression issue.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A

Quote Originally Posted by 2INSANE View Post
    They all popped at 1900 psi with a straight stream ...
    Maybe just a language thing, but that is not how I would describe a good spray pattern... Is it a stream of liquid, or is it atomizing the fuel?
    The Constitution needs to be re-read, not re-written!

If you can't handle Dr. Seuss, how will you handle real life?

Current oil burners: MB GLK250 BlueTEC, John Deere X758
    New ride: MB GLS450 - most stately
    Gone but not forgotten: '87 F350 7.3, '93 C2500 6.5, '95 K2500 6.5, '06 K2500HD 6.6, '90 MB 350SDL, Kubota 7510

Quote Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
    Maybe just a language thing, but that is not how I would describe a good spray pattern... Is it a stream of liquid, or is it atomizing the fuel?
    Agreed. A "straight stream of liquid" is a failed injector. It should be a cone of very fine mist (completely atomized). Any form of "stream of liquid" is not atomized. The result would be similar to previously described white smoke and unburnt fuel-smelling exhaust.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A

And if it is a "stream" it will bore a hole in a piston....
    1993 Chevy K3500

owner - Twisted Steel Performance

porting, ceramic & powder coating

like us on Facebook

The injectors only have 5000 miles on them. The “stream” quickly widens a little and yes it atomizes. Since I took the injection lines off about 10 times for the testing, I assumed there could be a possibility that an injector got clogged. They appear to be good! Next up is the injection pump that still has not been shipped yet.

I already disassembled the other 6.2 and put all the good parts on the part shelf. Including the pistons. Currently doing a refresher on the great running 6.5.

Learning the Experimental 130gpm pump continues to collapse the upper radiator hose from all the back pressure vacuum. Learning that I can not get a dual alternator set up unless I have an A/C delete pulley and the 6.5 $200 Alternator bracket because the tensioner pulley keeps hitting the water pump pulley. Even with the smaller pulley on the tensioner.

When the new injection pump arrives I’ll put it back together and do one last test. The compression test. Cross your fingers!
    Last edited by 2INSANE; 12-14-2020 at 07:59.

Time to modify things some.

Make a different bracket to relocate things that are hitting.

There is always a way to make stuff work that does not want to.....
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

The rebuilt injection pump arrived! Waiting on the compression test adapter. I’ll finish doing this refresher on the 6.5 and then get going on the 6.2 sidewinder build again.

This Friday I plan on going down to Dillon to pick up more 6.2/6.5 parts from a member of the dieselpage. Would be nice to get both motors running top by the end of this winter.

I would like to do another Moab trip and an Alaskan trip soon!

I might be selling the 6.5 TD after I am done with the overhaul if anyone is interested.

If you do the Alaska trip,you will be driving past my shop.
    Free camping if you need it,plus a stock of 6.2/6.5 parts.I doubt you will need parts,6.2/6.5 are very reliable
    If you buy the lot of parts,and do the Alaska trip i may be interested in a few parts if they end up surplus to your needs.
    90 Chev 3500 c/c 4x4,6.2na,400 auto,4:10 gears.DSG Timing gears,main girdle, isspro tach, pyro,boost,oil and trany temp.Dual Tstats, High volume peninsular pump,on shelf, Custom turbo and intercooler 85%complete. Change of plans for the dually, it's going to get a Cummins. Both trucks are Blue 90 4x4 crews

Quote Originally Posted by Yukon6.2 View Post
    If you do the Alaska trip,you will be driving past my shop.
    Free camping if you need it,plus a stock of 6.2/6.5 parts.I doubt you will need parts,6.2/6.5 are very reliable
    If you buy the lot of parts,and do the Alaska trip i may be interested in a few parts if they end up surplus to your needs.
    Ok sounds good! I do not think Canada is accepting Americans right now. Might be awhile.

Travel in a semi
    A couple of locals wanted to put in their regular run to down south to supplies for winter
    They took a couple of semi's and never got asked what they were doing,never isolated when they got back.
    Anyway i am not going anywhere so the offer stands to stop by,free camping ect.
    90 Chev 3500 c/c 4x4,6.2na,400 auto,4:10 gears.DSG Timing gears,main girdle, isspro tach, pyro,boost,oil and trany temp.Dual Tstats, High volume peninsular pump,on shelf, Custom turbo and intercooler 85%complete. Change of plans for the dually, it's going to get a Cummins. Both trucks are Blue 90 4x4 crews

Travel in a semi
    A couple of locals wanted to put in their regular run to down south to supplies for winter
    They took a couple of semi's and never got asked what they were doing,never isolated when they got back.
    Anyway i am not going anywhere so the offer stands to stop by,free camping ect.
    Awesome! Thank you! Will take you up on that offer when it’s time!

So an update... The experimental 6.2 motor is still sitting and chilling on a tire. I have a guy making custom dual alternator brackets I am waiting for. I have been delayed with the holidays and selling a lot of extra parts. I sold the single thermostat housing off of it because I picked up a modified dual thermostat with custom brackets for the throttle cable and high idle solenoid.

Have you got a spare banks crossover for sale ?

Have you got a spare banks crossover for sale ?
    No I do not. I just sold all the banks items, 3 early 6.5 motors, this 6.2 motor and bought a brand new Optimizer NAVSTAR 6.5. :-D

The guy that bought the last of my banks stuff has an extra cross over. Send me a PM of your phone number and I’ll give you his contact info.