Thread: 6.2 Lift pump on 6.5?

Default 6.2 Lift pump on 6.5?

Hello! I have some questions. In regards to doing a 6.2/6.5 conversation.

1. Will a 6.2 Mechanical Lift pump work on a 6.5 w/turbo?

2. How much do I turn up the 6.2 injection pump to match the 6.5 injection pump?

3. Will the 6.2 lifters work in a 6.5?

4. Is the 6.2 cam the same as a 6.5?

5. Has anyone ever put 6.2 heads on a 6.5? Did it work?

6. Has anyone ever put the 6.2 Banks Sidewinder Turbo kit on a 6.5?

Arrow

6.2 Lift pump on 6.5?

Hello! I have some questions. In regards to doing a 6.2/6.5 conversation.

1. Will a 6.2 Mechanical Lift pump work on a 6.5 w/turbo?

2. How much do I turn up the 6.2 injection pump to match the 6.5 injection pump?

3. Will the 6.2 lifters work in a 6.5?

4. Is the 6.2 cam the same as a 6.5?

5. Has anyone ever put 6.2 heads on a 6.5? Did it work?

6. Has anyone ever put the 6.2 Banks Sidewinder Turbo kit on a 6.5?
    1- Only if you weld a fitting onto the oil pan for turbo oil return.

2- NA fuel injection pumps have a harder time efficiently producing the fuel delivery of the genuine DB2-4911 made and calibrated for the 6.5TD. The answer is complicated, but yes it can produce adequate fueling - usually, but not without compromising, because of a difference in fuel delivery design and a difference in designed POP pressures. Begin with 1/8 turn of the fuel screw, then monitor exhaust temperature. You may need more, but do it in steps... What can happen is you wind up with too much fuel, excessive exhaust temp and a damaged engine... Or, you push the pump to deliver more fuel that it is able to, resulting in roughness, less power, more smoke, hard starts.. awful stuff... Old or high mile - worn out pumps can't do it. Changing fueling rate also changes injection timing... It's complicated.

3- Yes, if the lifter bore fit is nominal.

4- Yes.

5- Yes, but you'll need steel fuel injector lines matching the year model of the heads. The injectors are mounted at different angles - the 6.5 heads sit the injectors more upright to provide more turbo clearance for the injectors.

6- Yes, many-many times.

Jim

Ok thanks!

Regarding the banks turbo oil drain spacer plate: Store that in a safe deposit box until absolutely needed. Put an armed guard on it. It's a hen's tooth.

Another solution, short of welding/brazing a bung in the pan, is drill/tap an original LP spacer (or blank plate) to accept a pipe elbow/nipple. Did that for a while when the Banks adapters were MIA or out of production (only available in NOS full kits). Flow is minimal, but it must be free flowing gravity drain to the sump.

As an opinionated note on which turbo system, the OEM 6.5 is better for a daily driver, while the Banks Sidewinder is better for more frequent heavy loads. The non-wastegate Banks is simply much more efficient loaded and capable of more power, but suffers much greater lag.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Quote Originally Posted by DmaxMaverick View Post
    Regarding the banks turbo oil drain spacer plate: Store that in a safe deposit box until absolutely needed. Put an armed guard on it. It's a hen's tooth.

Another solution, short of welding/brazing a bung in the pan, is drill/tap an original LP spacer (or blank plate) to accept a pipe elbow/nipple. Did that for a while when the Banks adapters were MIA or out of production (only available in NOS full kits). Flow is minimal, but it must be free flowing gravity drain to the sump.

As an opinionated note on which turbo system, the OEM 6.5 is better for a daily driver, while the Banks Sidewinder is better for more frequent heavy loads. The non-wastegate Banks is simply much more efficient loaded and capable of more power, but suffers much greater lag.
    Thanks for the advice!

My build tread can be found here:

https://www.chevyk5blazer.com/forums...hevy-K5-Blazer

And here:

https://www.steelsoldiers.com/thread...uild-up.77114/

I am in the process of doing some badass mods on my 6.2 or 6.5 or both! Lol!

I created an account here because there is a lot more knowledge about the 6.2 and 6.5 on this forum.