Thread: ~80 Gallon fuel tank for CC Longbed

In January my truck is going in to a custom body shop to have the largest replacement tank possible custom built for it. We are guessing it should be somewhere in the neighborhood of 80 gallons considering the 56 gallon replacement available now fits ext. and crew cabs, not to mention it has a notch in it for fitting around the fuel cooler. We are going to relocate the fuel cooler and build the biggest tank possible that will fit.

I'm curious if any of you other Crew Cab Longbed owners would be interested in this. They are going to have my truck for a week or so to custom fit it, after that they should be able to crank the tanks out pretty easy. Maybe we could get a volume discount if we had several orders lined up after they build my tank.

Let me know,
    Jerry
    \'03 GMC SLT 3500 Dually Crew Cab, Loaded with Every Option, Edge Juice, SPA DG211 Boost/Pyro, AFE, DD 4\", ARE Z Series, JK Lights.<br /><br />\'03 GMC Yukon Denali XL

Jerry--keep me informed about this. I have been thinking of the transfer flow 54 gal but like your idea better and since I live nearby it would be easy to get it put in. Cost??

You can reach me at 965-3139 or jpat@sofast.net.

Thanks, John
    Great Falls
    2002 2500HD,Indigo Blue,DMAX/Allison, C/cab, long box, Ranch Hand replacement front and rear bumper, front and rear collision warning system, 7\" monitor and rear view camera on tilt/pan w/remote, mounted in bed topper, bed rug, 2nd camera mounted on back of 33ft travel trailer, Sony XM radio, 10\" monitor/tv w/PII,333 computer w/Copilot voice responce navagation/gps system. JK light harness. Diesel Performance Parts exhaust and THE PREDATOR<p>2002 Keystone 33\' TT w/2 slides<br />2002 Celestron Nexstar 11 GPS<br />2002 Meade LXD55 AR-6 refractor<br />2003 Canon EOS 10D<p>email john@johnthomas.us

mdrag Guest

Cool

Diesel Freak,

Sounds like an interesting idea. On the first fill of my TFI 56 gal tank - I squeezed in 60 US gals I measured carefully, so it is not a mistake....

TDP forum rules don't allow group purchases unless authorized by the administration. Check with MorePower first so you don't get into hot water. Of course, what you arrange in private communications is your business...

Okay, I guess all I can say is if you are interested, shoot me an e-mail. The cost has been estimated to be a little higher than the others, but reasonable.

Cobra, a guy I know in Minnesota is doing it. If you are truly interested, I'm sure I can tell him to make a duplicate of mine and I can bring it home with me.

jerry@yellowstonetruckstop.com
    \'03 GMC SLT 3500 Dually Crew Cab, Loaded with Every Option, Edge Juice, SPA DG211 Boost/Pyro, AFE, DD 4\", ARE Z Series, JK Lights.<br /><br />\'03 GMC Yukon Denali XL

Better be careful here. I believe somewhere there's a limit on how many gallons a tank can be without carrying all the placards and such and the special driver's license and all that. Anybody else heard of this? I think it's in the neighborhood or 70-90 gallons, but I'm not sure. A tank shop would know, not sure about a welding shop.
    It\'s a Diesel world

Maverick Guest

DieselDennis,
    I don't think that would be a problem. If a semi with dual 150 gal (300 gal) can run around bobtail with no placards, I seriously dought we would have a problem. Most reportable quanities of hazardous material are usually required at 1000 gals or more. It all depends what the hazardous material is. Diesel fuel for us is no problem.

Maverick is right, a few hundred gallons does not require HAZMAT placards or licensing. Like he says, semi's hold a bunch of fuel and don't require anything. Some of them on the road can actually carry 600 gallons! That's well over 3000 miles between fuel ups.

Unhappy

Something you may find out is that the tanks may be illegal. I believe the tanks have to be tested and meet certain criteria, to be approved by the D.O.T. Environmental protection agency and others. Not to rain on your parade, but if you are in an accident, you may literally be toast.
    To me personally it isn't worth it. I'll just buy the Transferflow. tpitt
    2004 G.M.C. LLY CC D/A sb 4wd Summit White, ATS Duals, BD X-monitor, BD Exhaust Brake, Snugtop shell, 45 gal. Transferflow fuel tank, AFE stage II
    2004 TDI Jetta GLS S/W
    2005 TDI Passat GLS S/W
    2020 GMC Denali 2500HD

Tpitt, this isn't the first fuel tank they've ever made, just the first one for this particular application. They've been in the customizing business for quite sometime. I don't think liability will be an issue.

MaxACL Guest

Talking

I had a 115 gal installed in the bed of my little blue truck and it is truely nice. I think I've crammed in 125 gal at one time. The first vendor I talked to said that Calif had a law whereas they don't want you "importing" diesel into their country and limit tanks to 100 gals. Go figure. I do love the large tank!

Mike