Thread: Limp Mode After A Long Idle

Default Limp Mode After A Long Idle

JUST AN FYI POST. Twice in my 05's 125K history it has gone into limp mode, and both times it was after a long idle period at normal engine temperature. The cause is high UNDER HOOD temperatures. The first time was when I pulled off the highway to take a cell phone call and wound up talking for 30 minutes. When I pulled back out into traffic.....Limp Mode. The second time was at the boat ramp letting the AC cool the truck off and I got to swapping lies with the guys at the boat ramp for about 30 minutes. I got in it and ....limp mode.

The interesting part is that it does not show a CEL or throw any codes. If it happens to you, do not panic, it will go away if you turn the truck off and let it sit for a while. Opening the hood helps.
    2005 Chevy 2500HD, CC, SB, 4X4, Duramax, ARE Topper, 60 gallon RDS toolbox/tank combo, Kennedy Headlight Booster, Isspro pyrometer and boost gauges, EGR Blocker, PCV Kit, Bilsteins, 265 Michelin MS-2, TTS Exhaust, pulling 35' Jayco travel trailer.

Anybody know what sensor makes this happen and where it is located in the engine bay?

Arrow

Difficult to say, absent of DTC's. My SWAG is air intake temp. This is an issue with many LLY's, and one remedy that works much of the time is an upgrade to the 2006/LBZ air intake system (airbox/plumbing).
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

My 2005 did this a few times early in it's life. It essentially made huge plumes of smoke and was just plain lazy in high heat and elevation. That was in the days of the Edge Juice. Since I did my own programming it did not come back. My guess is that something in the turbo control tables pushes the desired boost or vane positioning off to a bad place. I take more control of these when I reprogram and cannot recall it happening since.

IAT is sensed in the MAF sensor.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!