Thread: Tires

Question Tires

Can anyone tell me what I have to do, if I want to go one tire size up ( from 245 to 265 x 16)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gmoney View Post
    Can anyone tell me what I have to do, if I want to go one tire size up ( from 245 to 265 x 16)
    Thanks

nothing go buy them. Michelin finaly makes a true semi aggressive tire in a 265/75/16E that I would be willing to buy. Well worth a look LTX at-2 , I have run the LTX -AT for years but they never made it in a 265 with a load range E . The LTX tire line is VERY high mileage long wearing tire , my first set I got over 103,000 mile with still tread on them. FYI you really should have a 7~8" wide wheel to up size tires from the standard 245 . I have 265 revos on my 6.5" wide wheels , I dont expect them to last as long as they could due to slight tire crowning.
    93 c-2500 6.5td,96 6.5td x cab,01 GMC lb7 Xcab ,2004 lly crew cab ,2006 lbz crew cab,honda CBR1100xx,2003 polaris prox 700 , 2001 31' holiday rambler 10K lbs house on wheels!

NutNbutGMC Guest

Quote Originally Posted by gmoney View Post
    Thanks
    Mount, balance, and drive. Your good to go.

Mark has pointed to the Michelins which I also have used for years. I recently (and reluctantly) went from the LT - M/S series to the X Series. A few more dollars but a much improved ride over the M/S. Wish I had swapped over years ago.

Red face Tires

Hey Guy's,
    Thanks for the quick responce.
    The tires I'm looking at are the Michelins LTX. I just was not sure if I needed to have the TCM program changed. I talked to the dealer who talked to GM and they told him they had no program for it.
    I went to the Allison web site after I posted my question here. Really the only thing they had posted that was negative was the 285 tires would not let the the trans shift into overdrive. They said the 245 would have some effect but did not say what, the only thing I can thik of is the shift points would chang a little.
    Thanks again for the information.

money

Arrow

The tranny will shift fine into OD. It will be at a higher actual speed, but it will happen. The shift points are specific to engine/tranny speed, not road speed.

There's nothing the dealer can/will do about a reprogram for tire size. The ABS can be reprogrammed, but nothing that will correct the speedo/odo. you'll have to go the the aftermarket for that. If you are installing 265/75/16's, the difference is minimal, and probably no more off than the OEM 245's with original program. Even with the aftermarket reprogram for tire size, the shift points will still be the same as OEM, according to the tach, not the speedo.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Or you can go with a wider wheel if you're looking to get something wider - an 8 or 8.5" wide wheel would pull the new tire down "almost" with the stock height 6.5" wheel.
    2002 Pewter 2500HD D/A EC SB 4wd Warn 12K SOLD! 103k miles
    2007 White 2500HD CC SB LBZ 4wd Warn 12K Stock

Are the Michelin LTX M/S the same as the X series mentioned previously?

NutNbutGMC Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny R View Post
    Are the Michelin LTX M/S the same as the X series mentioned previously?
    Johnny, no to detract from your post but to use it as an opportunity to toot the horn...

.....like I said previously, these two series are different tires all together. I have used both and as bad as I hated to part with the money, the X series is well worth the bucks. It's an entire better ride than the M/S.

Gmoney, if you're looking at 265s. mount them and drive. I am running them now with no need for a racalibration. The highway markers roll out to the mile, right down to the tenth.

stock the 2500 hd speedo is 2 MPH fast so 265 tires makes it about spot on.... I still dont get why GM sell trucks with 6.5" wide wheels .... Some bean counter must be stuck in the 70's .
    93 c-2500 6.5td,96 6.5td x cab,01 GMC lb7 Xcab ,2004 lly crew cab ,2006 lbz crew cab,honda CBR1100xx,2003 polaris prox 700 , 2001 31' holiday rambler 10K lbs house on wheels!