Thread: What to add to Jet-A

Question What to add to Jet-A

I have the possibility of aquiring waste Jet-A fuel.

What do I need to add to it to make it acceptable to my Duramax??

HELP!!!!!!!

Free fuel (or almost free) is a good thing.

Mike
    07 Silverado 2500HD LT3 D/A CC SB, Astro cap, all in Blue Granite Metallic. H2 chrome wheels with 265/70-17 Pirelli Scorpions. Autometer Boost and Pyro mounted overhead. Luverne stainless nerf bars, BedRug, PML trans pan and high cap diff cover.

03 Cardinal 31BH travel trailer weighing in at 9600# loaded and ready to go.

2 x 07 Sea Doo GTX PWC's, 3 Passenger and able to tow skier, tube, etc

02 VW Jetta GL TDI automatic, 42 MPG winter, 47 summer, 96K.

00 VW Jetta GLS TDI 5 speed, Rocket Chip 3 Euro with hi flow injectors. 48 MPG winter, 54 MPG summer. 142K.

Smile

AFAIK you should be sble to run Jet-A straight in most diesel engines, as does the military.

by waste, are you referring to the couple of gallons that are poured into a bucket from the tanker trucks to test the color and clarity of the jet-a before its pumped into large underground storage tanks.

the first few gallons usually get burned in a waste oil or kerosene heater as if its out of spec they can't taint the fuel in the big tanks.

As long as its clear, i'd use it in my truck. biodieselers have been using Jet-A/JP-xx as a replacement for K1 in winter biodiesel blends for a long time without ill effect.

i'd make a test run in your vw TDI before putting it in your Dmax...

-
    on a side note JP-8/12 is used to power the generators and vehicles of South Antarctica's McMurdo research station, as it has the lowest gel point of all diesel family fuels.

AFAIK the vehicles are relatively unmodified for the fuel type.
    Last edited by Prestonia24; 02-04-2007 at 17:47.
    2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab (Dark Blue Metallic) 4x4 w/ LBZ, 3LT trim package (Leather, XM, ON-star) - Banks Six Gun with PowerPDA... Purchased 6/29/06 - 46000 miles
    2001 GMC Sierra 1500 Banana Yellow Xcab w/ 5.3L, 110k miles riding on 20" chrome rims & 295/55 Goodyear Eagle LS Tires, ~14-16mpg city

Unhappy Not much response here.

The fuel was drained due to need to explore a fuel cell leak. The mechanic hated to waste it but, he was uncomfortable putting it back in an EMS heli due to potential contamination.

So, this is what I decided.

I have been fishing for a long time and 12 ounces of 2 cycle per 5 gallons will keep a 2 stroke Mercury from tearing itself apart.

So I added 12 ounces Mercury 2 cycle oil per 5 gallons of Jet A and poured it in the Jetta. So far so good, except the battery died.

Figuring the battery is due to -0F temps for a week and the car cold soaking for 24 hours plus at work. If the Jet A did that, I'm retiring!

Thoughts??

Mike
    07 Silverado 2500HD LT3 D/A CC SB, Astro cap, all in Blue Granite Metallic. H2 chrome wheels with 265/70-17 Pirelli Scorpions. Autometer Boost and Pyro mounted overhead. Luverne stainless nerf bars, BedRug, PML trans pan and high cap diff cover.

03 Cardinal 31BH travel trailer weighing in at 9600# loaded and ready to go.

2 x 07 Sea Doo GTX PWC's, 3 Passenger and able to tow skier, tube, etc

02 VW Jetta GL TDI automatic, 42 MPG winter, 47 summer, 96K.

00 VW Jetta GLS TDI 5 speed, Rocket Chip 3 Euro with hi flow injectors. 48 MPG winter, 54 MPG summer. 142K.

If you are concerned about enough lube in Jet-A fuel, I
    would dump 2% canola oil, 98% Jet-A on top of it. That should be enough lube for piece of mind. Kinda same thing than mixing 2 stroke 50:1 plus you support the farmer

I only wish i had someone in aviation that could supply me with 'waste' JET-A....

mix it 70/30 with biodiesel, and it'd be sweet... the extra kick of the JET-A would be offset with the biodiesel's slightly lower BTU rating...
    2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab (Dark Blue Metallic) 4x4 w/ LBZ, 3LT trim package (Leather, XM, ON-star) - Banks Six Gun with PowerPDA... Purchased 6/29/06 - 46000 miles
    2001 GMC Sierra 1500 Banana Yellow Xcab w/ 5.3L, 110k miles riding on 20" chrome rims & 295/55 Goodyear Eagle LS Tires, ~14-16mpg city