Thread: Has anyone used the Lucas fuel treatment?

Question Has anyone used the Lucas fuel treatment?

I just bought some today. It says there is no alcohol or solvents in it. I was wondering if anyone has tried it. I also have two quts of the Lucas Synth rear gear oil. I haven't used it. I wonder if it is as good as mobil one or amsoil?

I use Lucas fuel treatment. It only adds more lubrication and cleans the injectors. It does not prevent the fuel from gelling.

I use the Lucas stuff in my gassers. Seems to keep things running nice. On my gassers, I add some to the tank about once a month. I have had better results with the Lucas than any other fuel treatment for cleaning the fuel system. I have not tried it on the diesel yet.
    1987 Jeep Grand Wagoneer...new 6.5 in process...diamond block, 18:1's, other goodies...

Thanks, I just put some in and also added some PS cetane boost. I also run the Total power from John. I'll let you know about my milage in a few runs.

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by cowboywildbill
    Thanks, I just put some in and also added some PS cetane boost. I also run the Total power from John. I'll let you know about my milage in a few runs.
    Does that leave any room in the tank for fuel??
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Thats the good news, I'm not burning any fuel, just additives. And the additives are cheaper per gallon than fuel. Just kidding, I am not adding too much, but I thought it would be interesting to see if there are any milage gains.

Arrow

I was kidding, of course.

You do have to be very careful if you are mixing additives. Although the end goal is the same, many of them get there in different ways. Especially if water management is part of the forumula. You would not want to mix an emulsifier with a demulsifier, or more than one different type of either. Proprietary secrets may be the catch, and the mfg's won't tell you which other products they are compatible (or not) with. Also, there is a point of diminished returns in respect to lubrication and cetane improvement. More of either won't hurt, but once you reach an effective level, the rest is waste. This could make your mileage gain counterproductive. The only additives I'd mix would be of the same brand, and incidental. Such as a winter and nonwinter additive for gel control and lubrication/cetane boost. I've had excellent results in all respects with PS white and gray. I stopped calculating my mileage some time ago, but I can tell at a glance during trip by the gage or fill up where the mileage is, kinda' like scratch golf.

In any case, it's easy to throw more money at saving money than you'll save. Once the necessities (lubrication, water management) are met, we have to be careful with the balance.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Smile

Thanks, I hadn't put the total power in with the others. It wil be interesting to see what they do.

I was using Lucas fuel treatment and noticed no real difference, no harm no foul. Another forum recommended two stroke motor oil with some success. Currently trying a combo of 8oz 2-stroke and 8oz PowerService (white) per fill-up to see how this works. I guess as long as you are adding something to increase lubricity is better than nothing at all with the new ULSF.

The gassers are another story as the Lucas brand has helped considerably with highway mileage and use 1oz per 3gal for each tank.
    94 K2500, Ram Air, Banks 3" Exhaust, Soot Trap Delete, 3.73 Gears, OPS Bypass, Carter LP, Tank Sock Delete, Lift Pump Pre-filter, Billet Crank Shaft Pulley, Fluidmpr, 91 Gallon RDS Auxiliary Fuel Tank, Dual Relocated Oil Filters

Smile

I was reading that the Lucas diesel additive, replaces the polymers that are lost during the process of removing the sulfur for the ULSD fuel. And that the polymers were a major factor and of great value in lubricating the system.
    I'll see if it helps. I also have some lucas Synthetic Gear oil, I wonder if it is as good as Mobil one or Amsoil? If I new it was, I would use it when I change my rear diff.

Default lucus

when the beast was at about 150k km it started knocking at when run flat out (about 70 mph) in rolling hills.
    A mechanic at a GMC dealership told me I would need a set of new injectors.
    Then almopst under his breath he tells me to run some lucus addative through it for a few tanks and see what happens.
    By the end of the second tank flat out was faster than i wanted to go and the knocking was gone.
    I never did use it regularly but some went in every two or four months after that. It ran another 210km on those injectors. Maybe they should have been changed but it sure cleaned them up.
    86C 6.2l gmc
    "This to shall pass"
    "Life is to short for a Tim Horton Line up"

Default Lubro Molly

IMHO, the very best diesel purge, injector cleaner is Lubro Moly. Take a 2 liter or so plastic bottle, fill it with Lubro Moly, feed it into the injector pump and the return line back into the bottle... effectively making the bottle your fuel tank. Run the engine at varying speeds until the bottle is nearly empty. Hook up your fuel lines, pour the remaining Lubro Moly into the fuel tank... and Voila! A clean IP and injectors!