Thread: 6.6 duramax chirping noise

Default 6.6 duramax chirping noise

hello all,
    has anybody had a chirping (and I swear it sounds like a bird chirp) come from the engine compartment. It almost sounds like its the turbo ....it spools up and then releases some pressure ??? It only happens when the air tempurature is above 40 degrees F. It never does this when its below 40. When I'm on the highway and it does this you can feel a slight hesitation on the truck as well. It's driving me crazy.

Any help on this is much appreciated.
    Max

Arrow

Welcome to the Forums!

You could have a more serious issue, but check out the simple stuff first. What you describe sounds like belt sqeak with A/C compressor engagement. Mine did it for a while until I replaced the belt and tensioner at about 90K. Now, it only chirps slightly with engine shutdown and A/C engaged.

Even if you have the A/C off, the compressor will cycle if you have any amount of defrost selected, or are on recirc. air. This keeps the air in the cab dry, and helps to prevent glass fogging. Of course, there will be a slight power surge with A/C engagement.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Default My was chirping too!

As in the previous post, check the easy things first. Mine was an alternator bearing going bad on the '03 I just sold.
    2007 2500 HD Classic cc/sb, Diablo Predator, 285/75R16 BFG AT/TA's, Advance cover, XM, Garmin GPS

Wink

thanks for the help......I'll explore starting there.
    Max

Question hello maxmybuck

Hi I also had the chirping problemin my 2oo2 d-max and have not figured it out , I was wondering if you had any luck resolving this problem. Thanks Nordy.

The only time I hear those noises is when the belt gets wet. Takes a long time to stop too.
    02 2500HD LT D/A SB CC 4X4 BLACK, Westin stainless nerf bars, BW GN Hitch,Racor 60S post oem fuel filter, Oil Guard bypass engine oil Filter. All synthetic fluids. Kennedy boost valve, edge, Modified air intake,EGT & Boost digital gauge,TransferFlow combo fuel & tool box, Air Lift Suspesion Bags Rear & compressor with remote, Bilsteins front & rear, Frontier front replacement bumper.

Smile chirping noise

Hello Maxmybuck
    I was wondering if you ever found out what the chirping noise in your truck was, still having the noise in my 2002 d-max. Thanks for your reply. Nordy.

Smile chirping noise

Hello Maxmybuck
    I have a 2002 d-max was wondering if you found out what the chirping noise was, I still have this noise going on in my truck. Thanks would appreciate any reply. Nordy

Quote Originally Posted by SoTxPollock
    The only time I hear those noises is when the belt gets wet. Takes a long time to stop too.
    My 2006 experiences the same thing (after going thru the carwash)
    ** ccole **
    Past Rides: 1978 Chevy 5.7 Dsl; 1982 C-20 6.2L Dsl; 1984 Chevy 6.2 Dsl; 1986 Suburban 6.2L Dsl; 1989 K2500 6.2L Dsl; 1994 F250 7.3L; (2) 1997 F250 7.3L; 2004 Duramax; 2005 Duramax; 2006 Duramax; 2007 Duramax; 1995 6.5 Non-Turbo; 1994 6.5 Turbo; 2001 F350 7.3L, 2005 GMC Duramax (Current)

From what the majority of you posters are describing, it sounds like nothing more than a wet belt. Now on the 2001 DMAX, the belt tensioner was a pretty weak design. I have replaced plenty of those (2001). The newer vehicles don't have many belt problems unless there is debris in the belt grooves or the pulley grooves.

Another possibilty for the chirp or whistle noise could be a blown out exhaust manifold gasket. I have replaecd/ resealed a few of those also. But most of those have been medium duty truck applications. It's still worth looking into though.

My 02' does the same thing and has always done it now with 78k miles. Had the hood up and listened to the compressor clutch kick in. The noise sounds different with the hood up than when in the cab driving down the road. It is extremely annoying but it doesn't do it when I place the fan switch in the off mode. Doesn't seem to chirp at idle but becomes way more pronounced when cruising down the e-way at 2100 rpm.

Maybe the belt is chirping when the compressor clutch gets engaged at higher rpm. Any other ideas???? Would think if the alternator bearing is going it would chirp or squeak all the time or at least when you first start the engine.

Have replaced both the belt and the tensioner pulley to no resolve. They already tried belt dressing. It still does it.

It never cared whether it was wet or otherwise nor did it care whether it was below or above 40 degrees. Maybe, my noise is different then the one others described but it sounds the same to me by the other descriptions.

It's a very short bird type chirp noise and sounds like it's coming from the left side of the engine compartment while driving.

Will ask dealer to look at it again next visit.

Arrow

My 03 was chirping the way you describe when ever the AC clutch cycled on. Turn off the Heat/AC .. no chirp... installed a new Goodyear Gatorback serpentine belt ...chirp is gone.

Bill
    03 2500HD D/A CC/SB/4WD,OilGuard, MegaFilter,LiftPump/PreFilter, Bilsteins,RetraxRollTop,J&J Boards,Coolant Filter,AlliDeepPan,FastIdle,AllHeadLightsOn,
    98 K3500 6.5,SOLD

I've had a chirp for at least a year. Seems to occur between gear shifts. To me, and to my stepson when he drives, it seems to be directly under the driver.....

I've never really worried about it. Should I be?

Default Pesky Chirp

Quote Originally Posted by papa bear View Post
    I've had a chirp for at least a year. Seems to occur between gear shifts. To me, and to my stepson when he drives, it seems to be directly under the driver.....

I've never really worried about it. Should I be?
    I have the same noise/issue happening with my truck too. Have you found out the cause of the noise since?

Which engine series?
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!

Mine was the tensioner bearing.
    2002 Silverado DA combo 4 whl CC.
    New longblock 138252 Miles , Sill protectors
    Husky flaps
    SS Nerf Bars , Access Cover\' Coverall mats ,Lovern smoked bug shield , Dual Power Seats ,W,T.Tinted Vent Shades
    http://www.picturetrail.com/deerhunter7