Thread: Winter Gel Issue

Angry Winter Gel Issue

I live in the central Pennsylvania area and have had a terrible time with fuel gelling this year. I know that ULSD is the only type of fuel I can get my area, but I really think it is the major problem. I have run diesel for about 10 years now and have never had a gel problem. In the winter months I add Aviex conditioner to my tank before I fill the tank and it had always seemed to work. This season I have gelled 4 times and that

Arrow

There's nothing wrong with using kerosene. Just be sure to use some sort of lubrication additive to offset kerosene's lack of lubricity.

JK, www.kennedydiesel.com, recommends FPPF for gel control. FPPF is not available just anywhere, but he can get it to you.

I use Power Service. It's available at Walmart and most truck stops and auto parts stores. It works very well. I've used it for down to -20
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

There seems to be regional differences with ULSD gelling. Some have had problems others have not. I suspect it goes back to the regonal fuel distributors as to what additive package they ordered from the refinery. If you are staying in a region you pretty much know what you are buying. But if you are traveling around the country your best bet is to buy from the same chain of truck stops as you travel.
    2007 Silverado Classic 2500HD, EC, SB, 4x4 LBZ, Allison 1000 6 speed, Banks 3" Intercooler Tube, BD LH Exhaust Manifold, Diamod Eye Downpipe, MBRP 4" Cat Delete Pipe, Banks 4" Monster Exhaust, GoodYear 265/75R 16E, Eagle Alloy 16"x8" wheels, Autometer EGT/Boost gauges, 50 gal in bed aux fuel tank.

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

That's a good point JDman...

This is something I don't think many people realize. Regional and State regulations can dictate what additives are and are not put into our fuels. For example, around here in Delaware the summer Gasoline was consistantly $.50 higher then across the line into Maryland.... as it turns out, Delaware legislation mandated gasoline being sold in Delaware had to contain X% of ethanol. There's a refinery here in DE and it's making one batch for MD and another for DE and maybe another batch for PA... this is how it was with Gas, but I'm sure there's something on the books for what additives, conditioners and stabilizers can be used in your area... I suppose Supplier to supplier it can differ with in a region as well if there were enough "allowable" additive combinations. I.e... Sheetz vs. BP vs. Exxon... Jimmie J, have you tried using different suppliers??
    '96 C3500 Crew SRW, 228k, auto, 4:10, 265X75r16
    'PolarFlo' FSD Cooler
    1966? Covered Wagon 9'-10' Slide-In camper
    '03 VW Golf TDi (Stock) - +40's mpg (avg)
    "Any boy can be a Father... it takes a man to be a Daddy!"

Default gelling

I am having the same problem over here in Ohio, I am adding the white power service, but it still isn't helping, all of the bus companies and truck shops are complaining of it also. All of our schools are having gel issues.

I havnt had any problems with the ULSD here in alaska but then again its a winter blend and it most likely has different addatives and such in it.
    Main rig-1978 chevy 3/4 f/t 4x4 8" lift 38 14.5 16 toyo m/t's. BUILT 350(soon to be 6.2) quad batteries. front and rear 15k winches. lockers F/R. dana60 front full float corp 14 rear. th400/np203.

donor rig. 1988 GMC K3500 140k miles, th400. IFS(read CRAP) semi float 14 rear. drove it 142 miles home at 17mpg and 1/4 quart of delo 400.

I've had problems here using the same additive as last year. I ended up cutting it with 10% K1 and adding more Total Power plus warming it and to top it off I used a bottle of Meltdown. Thankfully this is contained to my storage tank outside.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!

Hello all;
    I was talking to our fleet mechanic at work today and he has seen a few clogged filters including his own. He feels that the new fuel is cleaning everyones tank be it on the truck, bulk storage, or distbutor. This he feels is putting contaminates or what ever in the fuel and causing the clogs. He personally does not run any additive at all and said fuel was not gelled filter was clogged apparently he cut it open to check. We've been in the single digits for lows here and a couple days not out of the twenties for highs. Hope this helped.
    Bill
    2003 D/A CC 4x4 ShortBox, Banks SixGun/speedloader, Monster exhaust, Big Head wastegate, Go Rhino SS wheel to wheel tubes, Bilsteins,K&N FIPK, Painless Headlite kit,TTT's

Have you seen the fuel gelling, or are you assuming its gelling when a filter plugs? My experience this winter is WATER content being the problem. I have seen no gelled fuel at all.

On a -10F day, I removed a 6.5 filter that was not flowing fuel. I shook out all the liquid fuel from it that I could, and was nearly convinced there was no problem, as the housing was half full of very liquid fuel.

With no liquid fuel dripping or left in the filter, I held it in front of a space heater until it was very warm. All at once, two tablespoons of water gushed out onto the floor, after the ice crystals got warm enough to liquify.
    Last edited by Mark Rinker; 03-21-2007 at 18:40.
    2011 Chevrolet Tahoe 5.3L daily driver
    • Previous owner of two 1994 6.5L K3500s, '01, '02, and '05 6.6L K2500s, '04 C4500, '06 K3500 dually, '06 K3500 SRW, '09 K3500HD SRW, '05 Denali
    • Total GM diesel miles to date : ~950K

I have noticed more water issues too, but this is a fuel gel problem. I have dipped fuel out of equipment tanks and got pure gel. I haven

Well I just came through PA last week during the post storm mayhem (stuck for 6 hours, but thats another story) and took on fuel in PA. Sure enough fuel pump was pumping real slow. I added a little extra Standyne and had no issues. Seems from what I am reading in general that those using Standyne are having no issues.

cheers
    Nobby
    97 K2500 Suburban, 3.42, 245 Tires, Custom Oil cooling lines, Snorkel Removed and 4" Heath Exhaust and Crossover. TSM Rear Disc Conversion.