Thread: Proper #1/#2 Diesel Blend

Default Proper #1/#2 Diesel Blend

I am looking for guidance on a proper blend of #1 and #2 diesel as a function of the vehicle (see below) and ambient temperature. I do most of my driving on the highway (or in the open). The ambient temperatures range from

Arrow

I've driven a diesel pickup through 21 winters, and not had a gelling problem here in western Montana. I've seen #1/#2 blends of 30/70 most winters, with 50/50 at least one time. Some diesel pumps are marked with the blends. In Fairbanks AK, you might see 100/0 in the dead of winter.

The fuel systems in these trucks are designed to help prevent gelling. The fuel filter assemblies are equipped with a heater that automatically energizes at +20 degrees F. (cloud point temp for straight #2). Gell protection is one reason why GM installed their fuel filters on the engine. Those with auxiliary fuel filters located elsewhere should add a heating element or bypass it during the coldest months unless they are sure of the fuel's blend.

Jim

Wink

[QUOTE=lars1]I am looking for guidance on a proper blend of #1 and #2 diesel as a function of the vehicle (see below) and ambient temperature. I do most of my driving on the highway (or in the open). The ambient temperatures range from