Thread: Replacement Valve Springs?

Default Replacement Valve Springs?

Hi all, currently spending away on my 6.2 rebuild for the Wagoneer conversion. THings are all at the machine shop (for the rotating assembly anyways.) Soon I will be doing valves and heads, and have read various accounts of valve spring failure leading to an early engine demise. Any suggestions on the replacement of the springs? Also, do I get the nylon retainers for the rockers from the dealer? Last question (on this anyways) any word on the Victor Rienze (sp) gasket set? A vendor suggested them as opposed to the fel-pro and indicated they are the OEM. Thanks!
    Neo
    1996 K2500 Burb, 6.5 TD, M/T 17" rims and Nitto tires, aFe Cold air intake and Stage 7 filter, Banks exhaust, 2.5" x-over, and 3" downpipe. LOADS of plans!
    A Hummaneer - Military Take-Out HMMWV 6.2 rebuilt with loads of goodies, balanced, bp, timing gears, custom 4130 girdle, ARP's top and bottom, high flow water pump, .030 Mahle pistons, etc. in a 1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer - hence: Hummaneer.

Felpro is the hot ticket for head gaskets. The rest of the stuff is a grab bag as far as I am concerned.
    The nylon buttons are a Ma General Item
    Set the valve springs according to pressure and assembled height.

Good luck

Robyn
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

THanks a bunch Robyn. I then can replace the springs with the GM springs without much concern into the future? I have read that the springs can fail prematurely and drop the valve into the piston where bad things happen.
    I am also going to undertake a rebuild on the 700R4 soon and will be asking LOADS of questions about that too! THanks again!

Neo
    1996 K2500 Burb, 6.5 TD, M/T 17" rims and Nitto tires, aFe Cold air intake and Stage 7 filter, Banks exhaust, 2.5" x-over, and 3" downpipe. LOADS of plans!
    A Hummaneer - Military Take-Out HMMWV 6.2 rebuilt with loads of goodies, balanced, bp, timing gears, custom 4130 girdle, ARP's top and bottom, high flow water pump, .030 Mahle pistons, etc. in a 1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer - hence: Hummaneer.

I thought the 6.5TD valve train issue was attributed to the nylon retainers coming loose with wear causing the rocker to move and drop a valve or bend a pushrod. I havn't heard any issues attributed directly to the valve springs. At least no more than other motors.
    1998 K1500 Silverado Ext Cab SB 6.5TD L56 4L80E 342 locking rear - 60k miles
    Modifications: Ported and ceramic coated exhaust manifolds, worked GM-8 turbo, L65 upper and lower intake, marine injectors, boost, EGT, and Trans Temp gauges, SSDiesel air intake, Hearthrob/SSDiesel stainless 3in down pipe, 4in exhaust, and 2.25 crossover.
    Planned: Remapped ECU, intercooler, turbomaster, fluidamper, fan/clutch upgrade, upgraded oil cooler and lines, and lift.

Arrow

I've seen 6.2/6.5 valve spring failures, but no more than any other engine. Probably less.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Default Thanks!

Thank you all for the replies. I am a bit on the paranoid side, with all the $$ I am dumping in this rebuild. Appreciate it. I hope to get some photo's of the rotating assy next week and will try to figure out how to post them. Thanks again!

Neo