Thread: 6.5 turbo diesel RV

Default 6.5 turbo diesel RV

Hi
    I have got a Rockwood embessy 1994 it has a GM 6.5L turbo engine now I have been told the engine number is this 10YWPRO133732 so what I need to know is where on the engine is the number to tell about the engine or even better can someone tell where to get a turbo for it or part number for it. I am from the U.K. and I need this to rebuild my RV so if can give me hand I would very much appreciate

So thanks
    Rich57

Welcome aboard!

Is this the original powertrain option in the chassis? What is the actual chassis build date, despite the model year? Oftentimes, upfitters will release a model year, when it's actually a prior year (or three) chassis build, which changes some of the rules. The engine numbers are generally useless, in any case, when trying to identify accessories.

GM turbos are fairly straight forward, if they're OEM. There are only a couple configuration series, and year/model interchangeable updates. Most can be matched simply by the configuration and application, and where you want the power. (truncated version) Early turbos were slow(er) spooling, but were much more forgiving at higher RPM. Later are faster-spooling, but fall off sooner. It's obviously more complicated than that, but that's the basic. Simply, if in OEM configuration, you only need to identify the few possible "GM-x" numbers, then fit what you want. What you are replacing may not be ideal, but that can be remedied now at little/no additional cost.

What configuration? Side mount or rear/center mount? Mechanical wastegate, or electronic/vacuum controlled? Electronic/vacuum converted to aftermarket mechanical? OEM downgrade from electronic/vacuum to mechanical? Complete swap to aftermarket/marine non-wastegate? Turbo upgrade from N/A (which could be anything from an OEM swap to an aftermarket kit, or anything in between)? A picture is worth 1,000 words.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Hi DmaxMaverick
    Thanks for your reply
    The chassis is by Spartan that was 1993-1994
    The turbo has been cut Off and seal shut the oil feed have cut off and sealed
    I can’t find the engine Id
    It’s push RV
    I believe the vacuum pump is missing as well which is mounted on right side near the pully I will post pictures where missing turbo and air filter There should be
    Like I say I am no mechanic so bear with me if I ask the obvious question

Thanks for help really appreciate

Rich57
    Attached Images Attached Images

That's a mechanical injection pump, so no electronic/vacuum controlled wastegate (spring pod or other similar). 1992-93 side-turbo (pickup truck) configuration. Unless there was another need for a vacuum pump, it probably didn't have one. You don't need the engine number.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A

Thank you again
    I have found this web site https://www.dieselpowerproducts.com/...bo-diesel.aspx would this be the one I need or could point me the way where I can get one from as I don’t want to get the wrong one because of trying to change it.
    Thank you once again

That turbo is probably OK, but I can't speak to their quality. If yours is OEM, an OEM replacement will be the easiest and most practical. Is there a reason the turbo is being replaced? If it's simply a matter of too little/no boost, excessive black smoke, or power loss, it's often not the turbo itself causing the issue. Everything works in concert, and any component not holding up their end causes a systemic failure. If the turbo isn't showing some physical damage, it may not be the cause. If it spins freely and isn't so sloppy it contacts the housing, or doesn't appear damaged, it's probably OK. Also check the wastegate for free operation and solid mated closing. Turbos are relatively very basic and simple, and when they fail, they generally self-destruct very quickly and aren't secretive about it. Simply, if it isn't working, there should be some evidence of it.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A

Here's another source:
    http://www.kennedydiesel.com/categor...ubCategory=145

We can attest to the quality, with customer service second to none. Contact them to be sure you're doing it right the first time.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A

Is it just my old eyes? or is the compressor side of turbo missing?
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government."
    -Patrick Henry

A5150nut
    2006 K3500 D/A
    94 6.5 4x4 5spd Sold

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by a5150nut View Post
    Is it just my old eyes? or is the compressor side of turbo missing?
    Compressor and turbine is removed from the turbine housing.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A

Welcome Rich!
    I'll second the recommendation to contact Kennedy Diesel.
    I wouldn't mess with anywhere else. They know their stuff!
    Good luck and keep us informed on your progress.
    Dave
    Dave, N9LOV
    Member #242
    Dave's Diesels:
    Sold June, 07 '82 1/2 ton 4X4;340k miles
    '97 2 Dr Tahoe, Intercooled,
    Kennedy ECM, 4" Exhaust
    '02 GMC

Hi guys
    Thank for all your help. Just one more thing which books do you recommend I buy from here ?
    Once again thanks all your help

Best regards
    Richard

Which books to buy? Why, all of them, of course. Or any related to your engine in general, or specific to your issues. Jim will have to answer that, as I'm not familiar with the revisions and reprints, other than what's been posted in the forums.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A