Thread: Fuel Filtration

It seems that there's quite a bit of talk all around this subject, but I haven't found any real definitive conversation about it. So I thought I'd get a thread going and see if we can nail some good info down.

Let's assume that fuel contamination (particulate & water) is bad for our engines in general. Let's assume that it contributes to the injector failure rate (not causes, but contributes). Let's assume that filtration is an overall good thing if done properly.

Okay, now given all those assumptions:

1) What is the filtration cabability of stock filters in microns?
    2) What is the flow rate of stock filters in GPH?
    3) What would be the recomendation of an aftermarket filter....2 microns...10 microns....30 microns?
    4) What should a good reliable flow rate be?...15 GPH....30 GPH.....45 GPH.....60 GPH?
    5) Where should the filters be placed in respect to the original filter?
    6) Anything else you can think of.

I understand from other posts that GM is/has just come out with new filter recommendations to combat the injector problem...or some of them. Or at least help with it. This seems to me that they are conceding that filtration can be better and that it can help out with some of the injector issues. It would also seem that it would take some of the argument away from them in-so-far as warranty issues pertaining to aftermarket filtration.
    I guess what I'm hoping for is enough good, solid information so we can make a good decision on whether we should add filtration and, if so, what kind of filtration.
    \"All I know is what I read in the papers\"<br /><i>Will Rogers</i>

Buck Guest

1)Stock filter 10 microns
    2) ?
    3) 2 microns
    4) ?
    5) post OEM
    6) I have run a post OEM "mega fuel filter" for 50k miles with no lift pump and no problems after the install of the nipple with a .017 hole so air doesn't get trapped in the filter head.

A lift pump will also eliminate the build up of air under the filter head.

Flow rates are Flow appears very lazy, put on a clear hose an observe the flow

Can you tell me how you did number 6 -- does this mean you didn't have to bleed every 300 miles?

I appreciate any help in this matter because I just bought the Mega Filter kit, and also the billet fuel pickup.

Thanks.

Filtering is important but there has to be reasonable limits. If these engines are not designed good enough to run on normal fuel from normal outlets the manufacture has a responsibility to add filtering.You can go overboard on filtering. The Cat power plants at a rock concert were filtered so good they would`nt run on a hot day in July with excellent fuel supply.How would it run in -40.Your thoughts Boys???

Jim Brzozowski Guest

The colder it gets, the more the viscosity increses, makes it harder to pump--you know that.
    I'm concerned too, I also have a post oem 2mic filter and I don't want stalls when I go to Alaska or any other place for that matter. So far absolutely no problems, but haven't encountered all situations, by the way did you know the computer programing doesn't go below -50 degrees F for checking fuel delivery? So don't get caught in some of that 60 below weather, might be a problem getting started, may need big heater.

CAN ANYBODY TELL ME HOW MUCH 1 OF THOSE MEGA FILTER KITS ARE, I E-MAILED KENNIDY DIESEL AND THEY NEVER RETURNED MY E-MAIL,
    MIKE
    2007 CHEVY D/A. 4 DOOR AND 6 FOOT BED

Kennedy Guest

Originally posted by MIKE MOG:
    CAN ANYBODY TELL ME HOW MUCH 1 OF THOSE MEGA FILTER KITS ARE, I E-MAILED KENNIDY DIESEL AND THEY NEVER RETURNED MY E-MAIL,
    MIKE
    If you emailed me it must never have made it through. Listed on my web site under Duramax parts/filters/fuel filters or keyword search on Mega or filter, or follow this link:

http://www.kennedydiesel.com/categor...ubCategory2=87

THANK YOU, CAN YOU TELL ME HOW MUCH TO SHIP TO CHESTERLAND OHIO, MAYBE THE E-MAIL GOT LOST.
    MIKE
    2007 CHEVY D/A. 4 DOOR AND 6 FOOT BED

Kennedy Guest

Originally posted by MIKE MOG:
    THANK YOU, CAN YOU TELL ME HOW MUCH TO SHIP TO CHESTERLAND OHIO, MAYBE THE E-MAIL GOT LOST.
    MIKE
    $15 or so.