TheDieselPage.com Forums

The Diesel Page Forums

2019 - TDP's 23rd Anniversary
What's New | Feature Articles | Product Reviews | Member's Area | Free Forum Registration
Duramax 6600 Diesel Page | Advertiser's Section | Classified Ads | The Diesel Page - Publications

Go Back   TheDieselPage.com Forums > Other Diesel & Truck Related Forums > Diesel Fuel, Bio-Diesel & Fluids Forum
Register FAQ Members List Photo Album Mark Forums Read

Diesel Fuel, Bio-Diesel & Fluids Forum Discuss and learn about Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel, Bio-Diesel, Straight Vegetable Oil, Waste Vegetable Oil, Fuel Additives, as well as Motor Oil, ATF, lubes, coolant and other fluids used in your diesel pickup.

Old 05-09-2019, 02:00 PM
Enthusiast

Default Crude oil

So i have been using all different sorts of WMO in a variety of diesels i have owned over the years with great results. I have a pretty good filter station going on, and ultimately end up at 2 microns (per the final filter, never done any labwork).
Anyways.....
I have the opportunity to get a neighboring farmers 400 brl tank. It is about 1/3 of the way full with crude oil. I dont know much about it (sweet,sour,etc).

1. Is it useable in a waste oil heater?
2. Is it useable in a 6.2 or other low pressure mechanical diesel?
3. If no to both, what about if i cut it with off road (at what percent?)
4. If not useable for anything, how can i safely burn it during large party bonfires?

Can someone give me a down and dirty on it? Im not wanting to risk my wmo heater, or any engine. But if i can separate it, filter it, and cut it, ill do it.
Old 05-10-2019, 08:41 AM
Administrator

Arrow

There are many different types of crude oil. Some light and "sweet" and some dark/black and "sour".

I talked to a guy from Bakersfield Ca a few years ago who used the light sweet crude right out of the ground (filtered) in his 6.2L diesel pickup. Now that would be a sweet deal...

Jim
Old 05-10-2019, 11:59 AM
Enthusiast

Well i found a dude on youtube, goes by the name “project farm”

You guys gotta check him out. He does some really cool tests, uses small engines for his subjects, and punishes them , lol.

He ran straight (clean) sour and sweet crude through diesel and gas engines, with awesome results. I know they arent loaded like a more “complex” 6.2 (lol), but very cool nonetheless.

He ran hand sanitizer as fuel, shampoo as engine oil, etc all kinds of stuff. He does the kind of stuff you wish you had time just to goof around with. Also made a wood cylinder head to see how long it would last..

Check him out “project farm”

Oh and ttt for some info here, lol
Old 05-10-2019, 06:20 PM
Proud Deplorable

This engine was one of several 2000 hp engines that used to pump sewage from the pipes 200' under Boston Harbor to the treatment plant. It was designed to run on #6 fuel oil and gas from the digesters used in the plant. The ran like carp on the gas, so that plan never got implemented. IIRC they tied an ocean going tanker up by the plant and ran off that. All the engines (8, I think, or maybe 10) were replaced with 1500 HP electric motors around 1990.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Radial.jpg (96.0 KB, 88 views)
-Joseph Sobran

Current oil burners: MB 350SDL, Kubota 7510
Gone but not forgotten: '87 F350 7.3, '93 C2500 6.5, '95 K2500 6.5, '06 K2500HD 6.6
Old 05-18-2019, 01:32 PM

Exclamation Nordberg Radial Engine

Nordberg had close to a monopoly on these engines. If your reservoir behind your dam silted up and would no longer drive the water turbine, you could put one of these on your vertical shaft generator and keep on sending electrons down the wire. Would make one heck of a rotary lawn mower.

1984 C-10, custom 6.5L SAA, custom 700R4, Gone but NOT FORGOTTEN
Old 05-22-2019, 11:39 AM
Administrator

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Lee View Post
Nordberg had close to a monopoly on these engines. If your reservoir behind your dam silted up and would no longer drive the water turbine, you could put one of these on your vertical shaft generator and keep on sending electrons down the wire. Would make one heck of a rotary lawn mower.
This is a old turbine that had been retired from the Bonneville dam.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bonnevulle-turbine.jpg (60.6 KB, 36 views)