Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Make it easy to dispense fuel additive...

Arrow Make it easy to dispense fuel additive...

[FONT=Verdana]OK, I know there are a lot of creative thinkers out there. I think we need a simple and clean way to add fuel treatment to the tank. Most additives I

I use an old Sta-Bil bottle. It is easy to measure the right amount based on the amount of fuel I'm going to pump into the tank. Ed
    Ed
    KM4STL

'06 Sierra LBZ 4x4 Crew SB, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, TTT/Schefenacker Mirrors
    '98 Suburban, 245,000 - sold 7-4-06

I was just thinking the same thing, after purchasing a case of FPPF last week. My current plan is to mix larger quantities at the transfer tank using a small graduated measuring cup. Still crude, but at least less often.
    2011 Chevrolet Tahoe 5.3L daily driver
    • Previous owner of two 1994 6.5L K3500s, '01, '02, and '05 6.6L K2500s, '04 C4500, '06 K3500 dually, '06 K3500 SRW, '09 K3500HD SRW, '05 Denali
    • Total GM diesel miles to date : ~950K

Something like two-cycle oil containers would be nice, squeeze the amount needed into the pouring recepticle and maybe add a little longer spout and your there!

Chris
    1999 F-250 PowerStroke Crew Cab Short Box Lariat 4X4
    Fumoto, Turbo-Master, MBRP 4", Billet Triple Disc TC, HD TransGo Tugger, AIS, Triple Pod, Autometer Phantoms, SPDiesel Overboost Eliminator, SCT Tuned By Tadd @ Elite Diesel Performance 75/100/125 and DP-Tuner 80 Econo PCM, Sirius Radio...
    2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Sport 4X4
    Stock for now...
    My Gallery

Arrow

Bulk treatment of ULSD presents a problem if you're using a metal storage tank. Most diesel fuel lubricity additives are comprised of a polar group of chemistries (fatty acids and/or esters), which are attracted to metal and form a boundary layer between closely fitting metal components used in a diesel fuel injection system. The relatively low concentration of 10ppm to 250ppm treatment (depending on which type of lubricity chemistry is used) could be nearly eliminated by the metal storage tank.

This polar reaction is a big concern to those who receive fuel that was treated at the refinery. The metal piping and storage tanks used in fuel distribution could result in no lubricity additive making its way into your truck's fuel tank. The best time for a fuel distributor to add a lubricity additive is while the ULSD is being transferred to the local fuel station's non-metallic fuel storage tank.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by More Power
    Bulk treatment of ULSD presents a problem if you're using a metal storage tank. Most diesel fuel lubricity additives are comprised of a polar group of chemistries (fatty acids and/or esters), which are attracted to metal and form a boundary layer between closely fitting metal components used in a diesel fuel injection system. The relatively low concentration of 10ppm to 250ppm treatment (depending on which type of lubricity chemistry is used) could be nearly eliminated by the metal storage tank.

This polar reaction is a big concern to those who receive fuel that was treated at the refinery. The metal piping and storage tanks used in fuel distribution could result in no lubricity additive making its way into your truck's fuel tank. The best time for a fuel distributor to add a lubricity additive is while the ULSD is being transferred to the local fuel station's non-metallic fuel storage tank.

Jim
    Very interesting post! I've noticed that my aluminum aux tank seemed to get less fuel economy than my poly OEM! I couldn't figure out what was up with that. I guess the aluminum tank is "scavenging" my FPPF? The mileage gap between tanks has narrowed in the last year or so, has my aux tank gotten "passified" by exposure to FPPF over 6 years?
    Tom Ashley 2004 6.0 2500HD/Silverado CC/SB/4x4

I got a bunch of 4 and 8 oz plastic bottles that I carry with me. Whenever I fill up, I just dump in a bottle. It may not be exactly the same ratio every time, but it averages out. When they're all empty, I refill them.

The bottles have started to deform, and I don't know if it's from temperature chnages or if the chemicals are causing problems with the plastic. I don't know what kind of plastic they are.

Does anyone know what types of plastic are safe for fuel or additives, or what types to avoid?

Is polycarbonate safe for either fuel/additives?

Also, does anyone know of a source of small (about 8 oz) bottles for this use?

Dave
    2005 Silverado 2500HD CC LS Duramax/Allison

I couldn't find a supply of small bottles that would handle the FPPF that I use. That is why I ended up with a Sta-Bil bottle. It works well.
    Ed
    KM4STL

'06 Sierra LBZ 4x4 Crew SB, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, TTT/Schefenacker Mirrors
    '98 Suburban, 245,000 - sold 7-4-06

I have this cool funnel with measurments on it and its clear has a valve on the hose its also clear and has a cap to put over the top of the funnel to keep it clean. I like it it was about 7bucks. picked it up from shucks
    Main rig-1978 chevy 3/4 f/t 4x4 8" lift 38 14.5 16 toyo m/t's. BUILT 350(soon to be 6.2) quad batteries. front and rear 15k winches. lockers F/R. dana60 front full float corp 14 rear. th400/np203.

donor rig. 1988 GMC K3500 140k miles, th400. IFS(read CRAP) semi float 14 rear. drove it 142 miles home at 17mpg and 1/4 quart of delo 400.

Default Dispensing additives

You might think I'm totally retarded... But I've been using this in my Perkins Weld machine for about 9 years.. It reduces soot build-up.. It starts easer, shuts down better, has more power when welding BIG ROD...
    I tried it on my brand new 3500 chassis cab LBZ and it loves it..!
    The secret..?
    1/10th of a gallon of GASOLINE, to every 5 gallons of diesel fuel.
    2006 3500 Chassis Cab LBZ, (D) code, 6 sp, 373's Custom 4" S.S. Exhaust, Weld Rig.

Ummm...don't tell anyone at your dealership that. You might want to rely on them for warranty work someday.
    2011 Chevrolet Tahoe 5.3L daily driver
    • Previous owner of two 1994 6.5L K3500s, '01, '02, and '05 6.6L K2500s, '04 C4500, '06 K3500 dually, '06 K3500 SRW, '09 K3500HD SRW, '05 Denali
    • Total GM diesel miles to date : ~950K

Default Old HEET and Injector cleaner bottles

12 oz bottles . I pre mix a batch of powerservice and 2cyc oil, to give me about 8 oz PS and 2 oz 2cyc for 20 gal. ( normal top up ) . Carry 5-6 of these, plus the 96 oz container of the pre-mix with a funnel to topup the empty Heet bottles ( when necessary). the Buick uses the Heet and Injector cleaner, and I use the bottles...
    OOps sold my "baby" - 96 K-2500 6.5TD - ~047,068mi, Isspro's Boost, Pyro, and Tranny temp; Heath Plate Remote mounted FSD; Amsoil Fluids and Air; Bilsteins, BD Down Pipe-Gutted CAT-& B-D'ized 3.5 Kennedy exhaust; '97 cooling upgrade; CAD upgrade; new IP at 34,700 under warranty; Homemade: Boost fooler, Hi/Lo idle, OPS relay, TCC Lockup ( TFT), Glow extender for AC60's, & "GMC H..'s" 6 position Shift modifier .

Default Dispensing additives

I found that a 8oz baby bottle works well, it has a screw on cap and doesnt leak. When I fill up I just empty the bottle in the tank and fill it back up when I get back home.

Quote Originally Posted by the_croz
    You might think I'm totally retarded... But I've been using this in my Perkins Weld machine for about 9 years.. It reduces soot build-up.. It starts easer, shuts down better, has more power when welding BIG ROD...
    I tried it on my brand new 3500 chassis cab LBZ and it loves it..!
    The secret..?
    1/10th of a gallon of GASOLINE, to every 5 gallons of diesel fuel.
    I know lots of guys who swear by mixing gasoline into their Diesel fuel at about a 3% mixture. I don't.

I've been using teh Sta-Bil bottle for years now. I recently added another and filled it with my 2 stroke mix oil to help with that and eliminate the measuring cup and collecting dust...
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!

I use a bottle that was originally filled with chemicals that are used in the toilet in the trailer. It has a 4oz collector bottle attached to the top of the bottle which is about 96oz. All I do is turn the bottle over and it measures out 4oz into the top bottle. It has a cap on it so that you can pour the contents out without making a mess. If you need to measure out more simply turn it over again and refill and dispense. I got the toilet chemical at Camper World but I have seen it at most camper suppliers and parts dealers.
    works for me.
    Denny
    2018 GMC Denali HD 2500 L5P.

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector
    I use a bottle that was originally filled with chemicals that are used in the toilet in the trailer. It has a 4oz collector bottle attached to the top of the bottle which is about 96oz. All I do is turn the bottle over and it measures out 4oz into the top bottle. It has a cap on it so that you can pour the contents out without making a mess. If you need to measure out more simply turn it over again and refill and dispense. I got the toilet chemical at Camper World but I have seen it at most camper suppliers and parts dealers.
    works for me.
    Denny
    Good idea. I have seen similar style bottles for gasoline stabilizers.
    1987 Jeep Grand Wagoneer...new 6.5 in process...diamond block, 18:1's, other goodies...

Cool

Hi
    I use a FTTP product in my truck. When i go to fill up i turn the diesel nozzle upwards,pour the additive in the nozzle,then put it in the tank and start filling,i figger that the additive will get the maximum mixing that way.
    90 Chev 3500 c/c 4x4,6.2na,400 auto,4:10 gears.DSG Timing gears,main girdle, isspro tach, pyro,boost,oil and trany temp.Dual Tstats, High volume peninsular pump,on shelf, Custom turbo and intercooler 85%complete. Change of plans for the dually, it's going to get a Cummins. Both trucks are Blue 90 4x4 crews

Arrow

Yukon, That's a neat trick.... I wonder how many ounces it takes to fill the nozzle?

A commercial opportunity exists for the aftermarket to produce an easy to use, no spill - no mess way to measure and accurately dispense fuel additive. Frankly, I'm surprised the additive manufacturers haven't done it. They would sell more additive because people would be more inclined to use it - more of the time.

Another thing that should be done is, the bottles should be labeled in large type indicating how many ounces (or ml) should be added for a 26 gallon tank and/or a 34 gallon tank (Stanadyne comes close to doing this on the side of the bottle). People can do the math for less than a full tank.

Jim

For several years now I have been using the bottles I ordered from United States Plastic Corp. They make it easy to measure the number of ounces I need at each fillup. I ordered them online. If I managed to do this right, the address below will show the bottle I use.

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/pro...uct%5Fid=20700
    2003 Duramax/Allison 3500 Silverado ext. cab 4x4; J&J Tubeless Tapered Running Boards, Retrax cover, Line-X