Thread: Crude oil

Default Crude oil

So i have been using all different sorts of WMO in a variety of diesels i have owned over the years with great results. I have a pretty good filter station going on, and ultimately end up at 2 microns (per the final filter, never done any labwork).
    Anyways.....
    I have the opportunity to get a neighboring farmers 400 brl tank. It is about 1/3 of the way full with crude oil. I dont know much about it (sweet,sour,etc).

1. Is it useable in a waste oil heater?
    2. Is it useable in a 6.2 or other low pressure mechanical diesel?
    3. If no to both, what about if i cut it with off road (at what percent?)
    4. If not useable for anything, how can i safely burn it during large party bonfires?

Can someone give me a down and dirty on it? Im not wanting to risk my wmo heater, or any engine. But if i can separate it, filter it, and cut it, ill do it.

Arrow

There are many different types of crude oil. Some light and "sweet" and some dark/black and "sour".

I talked to a guy from Bakersfield Ca a few years ago who used the light sweet crude right out of the ground (filtered) in his 6.2L diesel pickup. Now that would be a sweet deal...

Jim

Well i found a dude on youtube, goes by the name “project farm”

You guys gotta check him out. He does some really cool tests, uses small engines for his subjects, and punishes them , lol.

He ran straight (clean) sour and sweet crude through diesel and gas engines, with awesome results. I know they arent loaded like a more “complex” 6.2 (lol), but very cool nonetheless.

He ran hand sanitizer as fuel, shampoo as engine oil, etc all kinds of stuff. He does the kind of stuff you wish you had time just to goof around with. Also made a wood cylinder head to see how long it would last..

Check him out “project farm”

Oh and ttt for some info here, lol

This engine was one of several 2000 hp engines that used to pump sewage from the pipes 200' under Boston Harbor to the treatment plant. It was designed to run on #6 fuel oil and gas from the digesters used in the plant. The ran like carp on the gas, so that plan never got implemented. IIRC they tied an ocean going tanker up by the plant and ran off that. All the engines (8, I think, or maybe 10) were replaced with 1500 HP electric motors around 1990.

Attached Images Attached Images
    The Constitution needs to be re-read, not re-written!

If you can't handle Dr. Seuss, how will you handle real life?

Current oil burners: MB GLK250 BlueTEC, John Deere X758
    New ride: MB GLS450 - most stately
    Gone but not forgotten: '87 F350 7.3, '93 C2500 6.5, '95 K2500 6.5, '06 K2500HD 6.6, '90 MB 350SDL, Kubota 7510

Exclamation Nordberg Radial Engine

Nordberg had close to a monopoly on these engines. If your reservoir behind your dam silted up and would no longer drive the water turbine, you could put one of these on your vertical shaft generator and keep on sending electrons down the wire. Would make one heck of a rotary lawn mower.
    Dr. Lee

1984 C-10, custom 6.5L SAA, custom 700R4, Gone but NOT FORGOTTEN

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Lee View Post
    Nordberg had close to a monopoly on these engines. If your reservoir behind your dam silted up and would no longer drive the water turbine, you could put one of these on your vertical shaft generator and keep on sending electrons down the wire. Would make one heck of a rotary lawn mower.
    This is a old turbine that had been retired from the Bonneville dam.

Attached Images Attached Images