Thread: 1995 6.5 T/D No Hot Start

Default 1995 6.5 T/D No Hot Start

My buddy's truck

Cant figure it out. Runs great, but when he shuts it off and immediately crank it back up, no problem, but if he shuts it off and waits 15 minutes, it wont fire back up until its cold. 2 hot batteries, pmd is good. I'm at a loss. It's seems like the computer is not sending a signal.

No codes.

Crank sensor?
    Optical Sensor?

Thanks in advance

Arrow

Glow plugs. Repeat the conditions when it doesn't start, but unplug the temp senders (PCM thinks it's -40). Problem is, underhood temp is enough to prohibit a glow cycle, but the engine has cooled enough that it needs it. You can also jumper the glow relay to force a glow. Just not too long, about 8 seconds max, especially if it has old plugs. It is also more common if AC60G plugs are installed, and no accommodation has been made to cycle them longer under some conditions. A manual override is a simple solution (Batt+ power to a momentary switch/button, then to the coil pole on the GP relay). Manually glow more when it needs more.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

How many miles on the injection pump ??

Were the injectors changed recently ???

IP can be getting tired and the plungers are wearing beyond the normal specs.

While the engine is running the flow of cool fuel through the IP keeps the pump cool (cooler).

After shutting the engine off the fuel stops flowing and the HEAT soak from sitting causes the internal clearances to open up some.

It does not take much....a couple tenths of a thousandth extra will cause the plungers to lose enough pressure making ability to keep the pop pressure below the threshold and it will not fire.

Did your buddy stuff in a set of those HI POP injectors ????

On a worn pump these will kill it when things are hot.

Normal pop pressure on the Electronic engines is about 2000 psi + -

On a used pump of unknown condition I prefer a set of squirts that are matched at 1800 psi when changing them out.

Have your buddy leave the hood open so the heat can escape and see if that helps....

WE used to pour cool water on the old DB2 pumps to check for this issue, but I'm not a fan of water on the electronic pumps....

You stated that the PMD is good...

In my experience there are no GOOD PMD's...Just ones that are working at the time, ones that have failed and ones that are about to fail.

PMD is always a suspect in HOT NO START CONDITIONS.

Try a fresh one to test.

IS THE PMD remote located ???
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

Is this the same truck that was running away?

Lack of lubricity pump delivery solenoid is probably worn out. The DS4 is not a bad pump, but you can't ignore the lubricity needs or you get sticking/galling or flat out worn out to where it cannot generate sufficient psi with hot fuel.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!

Quote Originally Posted by Kennedy View Post
    Is this the same truck that was running away?

Lack of lubricity pump delivery solenoid is probably worn out. The DS4 is not a bad pump, but you can't ignore the lubricity needs or you get sticking/galling or flat out worn out to where it cannot generate sufficient psi with hot fuel.
    No, different truck

Going to replace the pump

Thanks !