Thread: Starting Gremlin

Default Starting Gremlin

not a new Member just haven't been on in 7 years. My 1996 Suburban K2500 6.5 has been having a weird intermittent starting issue for the last two years. truck has 200,000 miles on it, love that it is still made out of metal.
    Sometimes I turn the key and I get nothing, no noise, no clicks just silence. I might Turn in 3 or 4 times real hard and it fires right up, like nothing happened. the problem might not show its face for a month or two than 3 times in a week and that 3 times in a day than disappear for a month or so.

Mechanics have replaced starters, glow plus, batteries, cables and injectors. I sent the starter back to mean green, they tested it, said it was fine and sent it back, I put that one in my 1983 6.2 banks turbo GMC jimmy, no problems.

I bought a brand new starter and the same issue persists. I bought a new engine and replaced all of the wiring harness, it still happens. I figure it must be a module or something in the column or the ignition? since I have basically replaced everything else. I have no idea, electricity makes my brain hurt.

I only use this truck for camping and hardware stores runs but I do love it and don't want to get rid of it. but I fear getting stranded some where in the back country. any help would be appreciated

Philb, it sounds like a bad ignition switch to me. I have had the same problem with a 1993 pickup and a new ignition switch solved the problem.
    Good luck
    John
    *2006 Chevy, 3500, 4X4, DRW, (LBZ) D/A, CC, LT, 252K Miles, 19.5" Wheels, Mag Hytec Transmission Pan and Differential Cover, SS Grill Guard, Racor 2 micron aux fuel filter, 100 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank, using Edge Evolution, Predator Diablosport, Kennedy ECM tune, Fitch Fuel Catalyst.

*2006 Four Winds, Dutchman, 36', RV, D/A, 5500 Kodiak.
    *1993 Harley Davidson, Turbo charged, Springer Softail.
    *2007 Pontiac Solstice.
    *2005 Jeep, Liberty, CRD (diesel).
    *Full-timing in USA, see America first.

BUY AMERICAN or CANADIAN, NOTHING from CHINA .

Thank you I will order one this afternoon. Fingers crossed

Yup sounds like my 98 tow truck before i changed the ignition.
    The truck was an electrical gremlin wrapped in metal.
    From the time i got it there were electrical issues that took out PMD's, Ignition, and in the end the injection pump.
    Switched the truck to mechanical injection and kissed the issues goodby.
    90 Chev 3500 c/c 4x4,6.2na,400 auto,4:10 gears.DSG Timing gears,main girdle, isspro tach, pyro,boost,oil and trany temp.Dual Tstats, High volume peninsular pump,on shelf, Custom turbo and intercooler 85%complete. Change of plans for the dually, it's going to get a Cummins. Both trucks are Blue 90 4x4 crews

My 94 I had to replace the ignition switch on the lower steering column. Did the battery post upgrade and from the beginning I puled all the weather pac connectors and cleaned with electric contact cleaner and coated with dielectric grease and never realy had any problems with it.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government."
    -Patrick Henry

A5150nut
    2006 K3500 D/A
    94 6.5 4x4 5spd Sold

It's easy enough to test the ignition switch before you throw money at it! Put a test light on the starter solenoid trigger wire. If it doesn't light up when you turn the key to "start" then find out why.
    The Constitution needs to be re-read, not re-written!

If you can't handle Dr. Seuss, how will you handle real life?

Current oil burners: MB GLK250 BlueTEC, John Deere X758
    New ride: MB GLS450 - most stately
    Gone but not forgotten: '87 F350 7.3, '93 C2500 6.5, '95 K2500 6.5, '06 K2500HD 6.6, '90 MB 350SDL, Kubota 7510

It wasn't the starting/cranking feature that was wrong with any of the switches i have replaced.
    On my 98 3500,it would crank at the end,just no fire from the engine.I did a PMD replacement and still nothing,i was having weird electrical issues that went away with the old switch.
    On my 05 Topkick it was the same story,no problem starting the truck but electrical issues were present from the time i bought the truck,and then the heater quit in the winter,so i ran a hot wire to the fan so i could stay warm.That wire back feed some of the issues the truck had and they went away,just to return whenever the hot wire was removed from the fan.After getting the shop manuals and doing some reading i switched the ignition and all issues disappeared.
    They way i looked at it is the switch is only in the start position momentarily,it is in the run position 99.9 % of the time the truck is moving/running and that is the function that is compromised over time.
    90 Chev 3500 c/c 4x4,6.2na,400 auto,4:10 gears.DSG Timing gears,main girdle, isspro tach, pyro,boost,oil and trany temp.Dual Tstats, High volume peninsular pump,on shelf, Custom turbo and intercooler 85%complete. Change of plans for the dually, it's going to get a Cummins. Both trucks are Blue 90 4x4 crews

On mine it was the transmission contacts. It started and ran fine but wouldn't shift out of second gear. I've heard that there are issues with the start contacts caused by switching off the inductive load of the solenoid, which generates a spark that erodes the contacts.
    The Constitution needs to be re-read, not re-written!

If you can't handle Dr. Seuss, how will you handle real life?

Current oil burners: MB GLK250 BlueTEC, John Deere X758
    New ride: MB GLS450 - most stately
    Gone but not forgotten: '87 F350 7.3, '93 C2500 6.5, '95 K2500 6.5, '06 K2500HD 6.6, '90 MB 350SDL, Kubota 7510