Thread: A welcome to all

Talking A welcome to all

Hello to all
    After reading so many gear box questions it seemed that we needed a special place for the drive train stuff to reside.
    There are a load of questions that belong here and we will work to figure out just what all fits. Basically if its not engine and body its drive train.
    Cruise control also fits here too as its integrated with the running of the drive train.
    Speedometer stuff also fits.
    Many issues on the late rigs (Computer controlled) are electrical in nature but still apply to the drive train.
    A tranny issue with an automatic can be caused by the PCM or even the TPS

I hope that the addition of this forum will be helpful to all and provide answers to issues that maybe were not well covered before.
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

Thumbs up

I've not noticed this forum before. I was driven to it when a post in the 6.5 forum was moved here. That's fine, I'll start looking around in here too.
    Jim
    96 GMC 2500 Ext cab Long bed, 8600#, 3.73, Amsoil air filter, amsoil oil, amsoil trans fluid, 3.5 Kennedy Exhaust, 97 airbox mods, EGT, Boost, & Trans Temp on pillar, Heath bumper mounted FSD. Pulling 28' Sprinter 5th

Question How many rebuilds

With my 95. I got it in 98. The first rebuild came in around 63K,1999.($1600) and then again this past week at 161K.($1900).
    Before I bought the truck it had a goose neck installed and was set up for towing but all stock.
    I do know my truck is heavy and for some years we towed a TT that I no longer tow.
    Now I wonder if this time around I should look into a trans cooler to go along with my other mods. A Question alone the lines is remove Rad. cooler when doing so or not?
    Place after Rad.
    Up grade stock cooler.
    Add a 2nd cooler.
    What have others done?
    95C3500.Ext.Cab 97 Cooling mods. DSG Gear-1.95 TDCO. Bilstein Shocks. Firestone Air Bags. FSD Cooler. Banks EX System. Egt,Boost & IAT Gauges. JK High Flow/pop Injectors. Turbo-Master. Max-E 2.0. Water/Alky Injection. Amsoil Dual Bypass. Baldwin filter. aFe Air filter, Air box & Turbo Mods. Power Service Product. Large Duels 235/85-16. Tool Box\'s & truck, 8200 lbs.

If you primarily tow in hot weather I would install the extra cooler in the return line to the tranny. Actually a large trans cooler doing the whole job is better. Just disconnect the in radiator cooler. This will take a major load off the radiator by directing the heat from the tranny to the air/oil cooler and not the water.

HEAT is the number one killer of the tranny. It casues the oil to break down much quicker and also casues the seals in the clutch packs and servo's to harden and lose their ability to seal properly.

Unless you live in the arctic you wont have to worry about the tranny being too cold.

Install a gauge to monitor the temp. The best place to monitor this is either in the pan or better yet in the return line to the tranny.

180F is a nice place to be. 225F on a hard pull is OK anything over 250F is what I call the "Crispy Zone" and will rapidly shorten the life of the oil and the tranny.

A remote filter in the return line is also a nice addition. There are ready made units that have a bypass (Must have) These look just like a regular oil filter for the engine.
    These will take out a lot of crud that an auto tranny churns out in normal opperation.
    Change the filter when you do a regular service, then top off the fluid.

best

Robyn
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY