Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Billet & Forged Crankshafts

Wink

Well - dogs like to 'mark' their territory every where they go - don't see much point in doing that with the 6.5, but if you like leaving spots every where over several hundred-k miles, then you prolly won't need the CDR system, with it's added weight and hi-maintenance aggravation, to prevent main-seal leaks, eh?
    jd
    '96 Dodge 3500HD cc 2wd drw............'89 GMC 3500 cc 4wd drw
    5.9 12v #10TST 6sp SBC13-1.375.......6.5TD EFI maxEtorq v2.0 DSG
    DODGE makes it CUMMINS shakes it.....4L80E 205 4.10 Dana60\70HD
    6 in a row makes it go.......................Grandpa's big truck

Quote Originally Posted by gmctd
    Well - dogs like to 'mark' their territory every where they go - don't see much point in doing that with the 6.5, but if you like leaving spots every where over several hundred-k miles, then you prolly won't need the CDR system, with it's added weight and hi-maintenance aggravation, to prevent main-seal leaks, eh?
    It has stayed...

The track owner might not appreciate my marking, actually already got in trouble for that once (diesel)

I have the hose from the CDR going under the truck and not in the intake like it was stock. It does not drip on the ground though. It leaves a little coating on the bottom of the truck but it's to prevent rust
    1998 6.5 2500 4X4 dynatrac pro 60, ARB, 35"BFG's
    06 D Max Express 5"MBRP EFI live

Good Day!

I was kinda hoping we'd get an update: http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/t...light=condense

Blessings!
    82 6.2NA K15 4X4 pickup, 4spd man w/ OD, 335K+ "In Rust We Trust" (parked)
    95 6.5TD 2500 4X4 pickup, Gear Vendors Aux. OD, > ¼ million miles - gone
    95 6.5TD 1500 4X4 3/4T Suburban, Kennedy exhaust, > ¼ million miles
    93 6.5TD 3500 4X4 1T crew cab LB pickup, 230k miles

Good Day!

Back to the subject - my neighbor probably wishes there was a good forged crank for his 300" alcohol dragster - just paid $3000 for a billet one (last season's had a 3" crack, but didn't grenade - whew!).

Maybe his daughter goes > 200 mph this weekend at Cedar Falls. She made it to 192 mph when she was 16. The boys probably have a hard time impressing her with their rides, waddayathink?

Blessings!
    (signature in previous post)

Gonna take a metric buttload of anything to impress that little girl.
    Wow 192 at 16.
    By the time she is 21 she'll be making warp speed
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

So was this in fact an engine going into production anytime soon or just a concept or prototype for show sizzle?

Are they going to market it like the Optimizer? I did not see anything new on the GEP website I could find. In fact did not see info on the Optimizer either???
    97 5spd K2500 Ext Cab short Bed ~160K miles.
    TM, 3" downpipe & 4" exhaust, remote FSD, remote oilfilter, Gauges: EGT, Boost, Fuel Pressure, B&W Gooseneck Turnover ball, Prodigy Brake Controller. Hi-Temp Hydraulic Oil Cooler Lines.

The engine changes will likely be announced on http://www.optimizer6500.com/ once they're ready....

Jim

{ i penned this after only reading the first page of the thread ... sorry }

Metallic properties are determined by various means: alloy composition, heat treatments, and physically distorting/forming the grain structure.

I would agree with R.J. that (for the same/comparable) composition alloy, forged pieces are far superior due to the fact that the grain structure follows the shape .

R.J. is also clearly correct that for small runs {especially small shops} a forging process is unmanageable expensive (particularly large item like a crank).

I will unequivocally assert that the increasing prominence [to current dominance] of so-called "billet" manufactured articles represents the wide acceptance of CNC or computer-controlled tooling and cheap computers and software . The software program is much easier to pay off than a forging mechanism, and the tooling+software are more versatile to apply to form many different products.

Enter the variable of composition.... Being mindful that most pure metals have extremely limited applications [as gold and copper for electrical conductors] , and that most metal components are employed in the form of engineering alloys [as 14-Carat gold for strong jewelry, or silicon-bronze for corrosion-resistance]... note that there are whole classes of alloys [ie, commercially proven (initially proprietary) admixtures of metals] which can be cast , but are not capable of being forged , or cold-worked.

There are some heat-resistant alloys [also corrosion-resistant , etc] which cannot be forged/hotworked/coldworked ... yet have very, very fine mechanical (or other) properties in the AS CAST condition. It is quite possible that niche manufacturers can use CNC/billet fabricating techniques to create small production runs of very high-quality crankshafts {possibly superior to production forged cranks incorporating cheap commercial alloys} . These would command the $3000 price (or whatever).

Automobile manufacturers can only sell competitively-priced articles in the mass-markets. Thus the first (proven) cranks were forged ... then creative/experimental research developed cast steel cranks , now cast iron cranks are adequate for many purposes {and use only CHEAP cast iron (with appropriate heat treatment) instead of the superior alloys in the forged cranks ... or the even more dear admixtures in the quality billet cranks}.

And soooooo ..... One cannot a crankshaft properly classify , by production process alone. Composition matters .

I always wanted to have stainless alloy wire welded onto production (forged) cranks prior regrinding , for corrosion-resistance , but ... never got that far!
    Last edited by tommac95; 05-23-2007 at 20:41.
    tom m
    '95 6.5td 4L80E 3500/srw p/u

Default OTS - sorry

"Gonna take a metric buttload of anything to impress that little girl. Wow 192 at 16. By the time she is 21 she'll be making warp speed " She went 6.61 @ 204 last weekend.

Default Electric fan clutch

That "electric"clutch in the picture is not electric but pneumatic.
    This is an unlock clutch, part of the deepwater kit for the
    humvee, you know, with the high intake and exhaust.
    If they get to cross deep water they can disable the fan to prevent dammage to it.

I have one on the shelf, it has a cone shaped clutch wich disengage with airpressure.

So thats not realy new I guess

Peter
    '85 CUCV blazer 6.2 twin turbo diesel (300 HP ), 4L80E with PCS trans controller '64 F350 tow truck (restoration project)

Peter do you know where to get one of those??
    1991 CK2500, 6.2 banks turbo, FourtGear built TH700R4, Dick Cepek 6.5" lift, 35" wheels

You can adapt the electric clutch from the T444E (Powerstroke) that is an aftermarket item from Horton.

It requires replacing the 4 bolt flange on the water pump with the threaded flange from the T444E/PS pump

They share a shaft size so the job is not a great one.
    This also requires modifying the serp belt pulley to allow the threaded hub to pass through the pulley.
    The bolt circle is the same for the pulley to bolt on to the flange.
    The rest is some easy electrical wiring to get the unit working.
    The controls are either auto from a temp switch in the head or manually with a dash switch.

I have a setup like this ready to go on my 95 dually.

The Horton unit is available through most Horton dealers.
    Its about $600 USD and this is for the Horton parts.
    The HO water pump must be purchased seperate and the PS flange scrounged up and swapped out.

Robyn
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

Opto,

Try your local CUCV dealer, most of them can get a hold of Humvee parts.

Peter
    '85 CUCV blazer 6.2 twin turbo diesel (300 HP ), 4L80E with PCS trans controller '64 F350 tow truck (restoration project)