Thread: long start mystery solved

For the past 2 or 3 months my truck would start in the morning fairly well. Then I would drive 15 miles to the office the truck would sit for 20 minutes or so and I would restart and begin making rounds from job to job(masonry contractor) The second start was always a hard and long start, like it lost its prime 4 to 9 seconds of starter use but it would start. You could turn it off and restart with 3 or 4 seconds of starter. Something just was not right.
    After reading all of the filter post, oem and added, I just knew my truck was getting air but I wanted to take it to the dealer for them to diagnose. They said it was a bad fuel filter and replaced the filter(the third in to weeks. the first two by my mechanics). When I got to the dealer to pick it up it was sitting there running. I shut it off and restarted 2 seconds of starter great! Got back to the office parked twenty minutes later a long start. On several ocassions I had decided that it was caused by the juice but it would do it with or with out. Checked injector balence with my predator all good fuel pressure at idle just as commanded........must be air sucking in....installed fm 100 lift pump 5 psi to oem filter.......still did it........had several conversations with dmaxallitech(thanks eric)checked every thing from starter rpm to battery voltage. Nothing out of spec. Called a friend who had a loss of power issue corrected at another nearby gmc dealer called that service manager took it in for a consultation. Checked starting fuel pressure way low and took 4 to 9 seconds to build to 5000 psi(starting pressure)Once it started we shut it off and the pressure dropped to 0 in 3 seconds. Did the same with a new duramax it would start in 1.5 seconds and take 30 to 40 seconds for the pressure to drop. He agreed I had a problem we made an appointment for this monday.
    They began by commanding fuel pressure and got 13000psi when it should have been 23000psi. Next the they disconnected the fuel rail return lines and connected a piece of hose from each to a container. Spun the motor for 15 seconds and measured the fuel in each container There should have been 15 ml on each container but the left had 30 and the right had none. That proved the leak was on the left side. They tore down the left side to the injectors and performed the same test with a hose on each injectors return three returned nothing one returned 30 ml At last the culprit a faulty injector return. Ordered one injector for cylinder no 2 installed it and that fixed the problem. The diagnoses and repair took nine hours over three days with some injector travel time. Needless to say I have found my new dealer. There are definitely some good ones out there but you got to look.........I think we should start a positve dealer experience post.

on a side note I thought this might have contributed to my burtsing miss issue with the TST. It did allow the truck to run a level or two higher but he bursting is still there. I have some pictures of the injector and will add to this long post tommorrow

My new dealer is Legacy Pontiac Gmc Eutaw Alabama. Purchased my partner a new Yukon there today dave

[ 07-17-2003, 02:15 PM: Message edited by: sdaver ]
    2002 CHEVY 2500HD CC SB D/A 4X4<br />COMP/JUICE 4.61 PREDATOR 1.04 <br />BANKS 4\"EXHAUST<br />SUNCOAST PROLOC TRIPLEDISC TORQUE CONVERTOR & CLUTCH PACK UPGRADE<br />AFE STAGE 2<br />POWERSHOT 2000 PROPANE INJECTION<br />DVGAMBLE@BELLSOUTH.NET

Cool

David, It sounds like those fellas have played with Jimmy Diesels before. I hope I never need to call them!----

I could not remember when you got your "Good" transmission. I am wondering if the new fix has increased your HP & TQ? Have you made any "new" numbers......yet? Speaking G-Tech numbers.

Burner--------&gt;
    2003 GMC SLT CC 4x4 SB-Cooper Tires-Speed Liner-Activator II-Full length ICI SS step bars B&W Goose & more to come
    -- Member #7527
    E-Mail --&gt;Twomuchplay(at)AOL(dot)com

That's really interesting news Dave!
    I'm glad they diagnosed and fixed it right, sounds like a really good tech!

So an injector can wear out, or be injecting more or less than the others or even return too much fuel and screw up the fuel pressure for the entire system!

A little alarm bell is ringing in my head telling me this system might not be as well thought out or as high quality as I would have liked.

So how many horses CAN a Suncoast tranny take??

C'mon, I'm dyin' to see some dyno charts! I think there's a good dyno up in CT...

Regards, Steve

Interesting, Super .....

Mine spins over more then I'd like sometimes but not consistent enough to be concerned, yet .....

I thought my plugs were getting fouled with all the fuel .....

So I was think'in hot wire the glow plugs ....... Bet you thought I was gonna say Spark...

Glad you gotter fixed ..... Wonder if these dealers when they make a discovery put the info on a database for all dealers, or for GM ??? I'm sure it would take six months of Sunday's to trickle out of GM anyway ....

And yes there is a GOOD DYNO in CT ..... I'll be there on the 26TH South Windsor and ALL are welcome to come ..... So come on Super I'm inviting a concrete friend of yours perhaps you guys can sling some "Mud",lay a "Brick" or Two....."Form a Foundation" of friendship.... Or just bang "Blocks" what ever "Floats" your boat .... You can belly up to the barbecue "Trough" (sp?) flip a burger with a "Trowel" You never know you guys may just "Cement" .... (I could go on)

Mac

[ 07-18-2003, 10:24 AM: Message edited by: mackin ]

Dave,
    I have recently moved and am looking for a Dealer, Where is Eutah al?
    2001 C3500 Charcoal Grey, Lotsa Putco stainless stuff, CB with 250 watt amp, TST Competition box, 600 watt inverter

Dave, sounds like your truck is fixed, good. I am glad to hear it. Sounds like we have two good dealers now. Anybody else know of one?
    2003 GMC Sierra 2500 HD CC Shorty
    Dyno Proven - 800 rwhp on fuel only.
    Trans to hold it and a big ol S400 turbo feeding it.

Talking

SuperDave,
    I had a gentleman here on our dyno Tuesday with a 6 spd clutch that would handle about anything we could throw at it. We did experience the miss with the comp box, but not til we got to level 9 and 7. It layed down a healthy 433 h.p. and 867 torque at the rear wheels on 9 and 5.Level 9 and 6 h.p stayed the same ,but torque went to 881. Still no miss. Then at 9 and 7, we got the (burst) that is occuring on your truck. This comp version is more aggressive than the box you have now! We also put the version on that you have now and reached 9 and 9 with no problems and still yielded 421 and 870 torque. Just for fun we stacked a VA pressure box with our comp on level 5 and torque went to 918! Egt's were out of this world though. I would love have your truck on our dyno to see if we could figure out what's causing the miss. Got any vacation saved up? Have a great day ,Greg [img]smile.gif[/img]
    TST.Tech Dodge, Ford , and Chevy diesels. We love them all!<br />2001 4wd , TST PowerMax Comp!

Great detective work, Dave! Thanks for the lead, as I am sure some of us may be having a similar problem. Lucky you found a dealer who was interested in fixing it. And how is that transmission working?

Steve
    03 D/A CC/SB LT DK GREY JUICED, MEGAFILTERED.

since you asked no limp no slip no slam and no regrets.......2500 miles The only thing that would make my dmax/ allison any better is if the truck came from the factory with this tranny.....a64 eutaw is 30 miles sw of tuscaloosa in green county legacys number is 1 800 239 3730 and donnie is the service manager. greg im going to south dakota in two weeks might work out a detour

[ 07-17-2003, 01:30 PM: Message edited by: sdaver ]
    2002 CHEVY 2500HD CC SB D/A 4X4<br />COMP/JUICE 4.61 PREDATOR 1.04 <br />BANKS 4\"EXHAUST<br />SUNCOAST PROLOC TRIPLEDISC TORQUE CONVERTOR & CLUTCH PACK UPGRADE<br />AFE STAGE 2<br />POWERSHOT 2000 PROPANE INJECTION<br />DVGAMBLE@BELLSOUTH.NET

Dave
    I am just like everybody else, to much power for the Alli. I was curious how your upgrade stacks up to the ATS, and what kind of cost. I try not to limp it, but accidents do happen. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
    Thanks scott
    02 GMC 3500 D/A CCRegency<br />255\'s Neeper Titan8 Rims,Westin,<br />4\" Bassani Exh., Volant Intake, Autometer pod guages,Duramaximizer, PPE TechIV,1100 wts. Pioneer power, MBQuarts,Orion subs,12 disk changer,<br /><a href=\"http://photos.yahoo.com/cowboy095\" target=\"_blank\">http://photos.yahoo.com/cowboy095</a>

never ridden in an ats truck so what could I say? But my truck shifts alittle firmer(this is a good thing) than stock does not limp at all and has no side effects and has had running thru it from 400 to 450+ rwhp daily for 2500 miles with no slips limps or anything but smooth firm shifts......current pricing is on suncoasts site. I have the complete package installed by suncoast. Call Joe and make your deal, remember if you zing into neutral back out immediatly shift to neutral count to 5 and back in drive no full limp.........with suncoast this will all be forgotten dave

My former truck started like that towards the end. It would take progressively longer to start, the next symptom was the surging/bucking under steady state acceleration. Next was dying. The dealer diagnosed a leaking injector (to much return).

Seems like this might be a problem that will continue to happen. I did not wait to find out.
    2003 Ram 2500 SLT 4x4 QC/SB 5.9HO Cummins 48RE<br />Stock (SO FAR!)

your new fuel system is based on the same bosch system the duramax has.......at least your injectors are cheaper

Yeah that's for sure, I hope everything works out. So far I really like the truck. But as far as that goes I liked the Chevy too.

I was just holding my breath hoping the injector problems would pass me by. Was not to be though
    2003 Ram 2500 SLT 4x4 QC/SB 5.9HO Cummins 48RE<br />Stock (SO FAR!)

Dave or anybody else,

What was wrong with the injector?

Question

SuperDave,
    Thanx much for your indepth report on the injectors so I'm guessing the filters were not the culprit the other bunch was trying to pin it on?
    Just curious to know if yours was still in the batch of bad injectors referred to in other threads. Don't know dates where the line was drawn or if it was known but our build date was 11/01 & 28k mi & no probs, yet anyway.
    Also can't fine a date between original & the new improved injectors in use now?
    BTW, you're still TopDog over at the court house where the broker is being tried by Judge Hoot & company with Sampson & Son in the old pickup truck
    We're still laughing every time someone around the office here brings it up! Great stuff Dave,

Thnx, Gben
    02 GMC 2500HD D/A CC4x4-DP\'s Modified HiIdle-JK\'s 5th Gear Lockout-CntrlCaDmax Stanadyne system-Cat 2mic Filter <br />99 Chv Tahoe 4x4 5.7 <br />93 GMC Sub 4x4 5.7 <br />genbenz@starband.net <br />Every 5Mins Americans Defends themselves With What? Click! Click!