Thread: Detroit Diesel

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Keep us posted on your 4-71 build please. I to am considering the same engine for a Ford F-450 4X4 conversion in the future. Was going to to go with the 4-53T with an RTO6610, but am now looking at the 4-71T with RTO6610 or RTLO14613. The only drawback I can see with the 4-71 is the weight. The difference is around 600 pounds with the transmission, which is a fair amount. I can easily get a front differential that can take the weight, but the main problem I see is getting stuck off road? Weighting for someone who has done this for some feedback for offroad applications. The last thing I want is to get this truck stuck up to the bumper and have to try and tow it out of the bush. lol

Quote Originally Posted by A-310 View Post
    The only drawback I can see with the 4-71 is the weight.
    That's why I went with an aluminum motor.

Quote Originally Posted by ARAMP1 View Post
    That's why I went with an aluminum motor.
    Have you weighed the cast iron block and compared it to the aluminum block? Just curious as how much savings there is?

A-310, I ran a 3-71N off and on for 10 years in a 79 Chevy crewcab. Some times I used a 454 and some times I'd put in a 6.2 diesel. I liked it real well but it was very heavy in the front. It was 2WD and when you got off the road you might as well forget about going very far. I was hauling boy scouts into a camping site and had to go up a small hill and it was a little wet and I just barely got started up and lost traction. A little 4WD Toyota had to pull me in. You have to have an overdrive transmission or very tall tires to get any road speed with a 71 series. I had a 25% overdrive and 3.21 1 ton axle. I now have a 4-53T in the truck with a 5 speed direct drive transmission and a 3 speed auxiliary that is abot 27% overdrive and still have the 3.21 axle. It's been in there 13 years with no other swaps.
    A 4-53T weighs 1300
    3-71N 1525
    4-71N 1780
    4-71T 1830
    6V53N 1485
    6V53T 1695
    I believe the best one to go with is the 4-53T, mine is supposed to be 170HP and it definitely runs better than the 3-71N did.

You will have to make motor mounts and brackets to mount the belt driven accessories. This forum http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/DetroitDiesel/ has a lot of good info for Detroit swaps. They say your RPM at cruising speed, say 65MPH or what ever speed you plan to cruise at, should be 2,200- 2,300 for a 4-53N and 1,800 -1,900 for a 4-53T. That's where you get the best economy.
    My avatar is the 2 transmission in the truck.
    Last edited by oshpunit987; 11-12-2009 at 19:42. Reason: forgot some thing

Quote Originally Posted by oshpunit987 View Post
    A-310, I ran a 3-71N off and on for 10 years in a 79 Chevy crewcab. Some times I used a 454 and some times I'd put in a 6.2 diesel. I liked it real well but it was very heavy in the front. It was 2WD and when you got off the road you might as well forget about going very far. I was hauling boy scouts into a camping site and had to go up a small hill and it was a little wet and I just barely got started up and lost traction. A little 4WD Toyota had to pull me in. You have to have an overdrive transmission or very tall tires to get any road speed with a 71 series. I had a 25% overdrive and 3.21 1 ton axle. I now have a 4-53T in the truck with a 5 speed direct drive transmission and a 3 speed auxiliary that is abot 27% overdrive and still have the 3.21 axle. It's been in there 13 years with no other swaps.
    A 4-53T weighs 1300
    3-71N 1525
    4-71N 1780
    4-71T 1830
    6V53N 1485
    6V53T 1695
    I believe the best one to go with is the 4-53T, mine is supposed to be 170HP and it definitely runs better than the 3-71N did.

You will have to make motor mounts and brackets to mount the belt driven accessories. This forum http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/DetroitDiesel/ has a lot of good info for Detroit swaps. They say your RPM at cruising speed, say 65MPH or what ever speed you plan to cruise at, should be 2,200- 2,300 for a 4-53N and 1,800 -1,900 for a 4-53T. That's where you get the best economy.
    My avatar is the 2 transmission in the truck.

Thanks for the info. As much as I love the 4-71T, I have decided to go with the 4-53T and a Fuller RTO6610 for my project truck. Recurring nightmares of getting the 4-71T stuck made up my mind, LoL. I've found a 1987 Silver 4-53T that runs but needs an overhaul, so will be purchasing it in the next few days and having it shipped to my dads shop. I think it will have all the power I need, so that's what I've decided to go with. This is a long term project, (3 years) until I get back to Canada, so at the moment I'm collecting all the parts for the build. I'll post some pictures of the engine and a video of the first start before I overhaul it. Thanks again for the help. Do you have any video's or pictures of your setup?
    A-310

P.S Sorry for hijacking this post

I don't have any videos but I have a bunch of pictures. I don't know how to put them on here but I could email them to you.

Quote Originally Posted by oshpunit987 View Post
    I don't have any videos but I have a bunch of pictures. I don't know how to put them on here but I could email them to you.
    That would be great. My email is emerald310@gmail.com. Thanks A-310

Hello all, I'm new to this forum as well; I've been reading up on everyones ideas, and progress, upsides and downsides of the detroit engines. I'm currently looking for a 4-53T myself and I want to drop it in a 1968 IH 2WD 1200 pickup truck. I noticed someone called Journey Man had done this with a Travelall and was wondering what kind of set-up he had in it. I used to drive a Mack truck with an oldtime 2 stick 18 speed, drove that truck for a few yrs. Retired now, and want to do something different. I've gotten to missing changing all those gears, so here's what Lord Willing; I'd like to end up with: That truck, the Detroit 4-53T, and a 3 speed aux. Yes I know detroits reputation, they like it best wide open or close to it anyways. I belive I've found the place with the people who can help me with my endevor. I'd like to keep the trans. and rear end because it has a detroit locker rear end in it now. I know there's got to be a way to get a good gear ratio between the 2 trans. to end up with about 75 MPH top out speed comfortably. I don't hear to good anyhow, so I'm not worried about the noise; I like the sound of those old engines! I've not found an engine yet, but Lord Willing; I will. Please ALL advise would be deeply appreciated...Thanks.

Default DD 8v92TA

Hi, I'm new and my name is nick. I eventually dream of putting a 500hp DD 8v92TA in an f450 or 500. Am I outta my mind or is it possible? How would I trick the truck computer into not freaking out with an older enigne? Would I have to extend the frame and engine compartment?

Arrow

I'd begin by finding the length, width, height and weight for the DD. Then compare that to the engine compartment dimensions available in the truck. Somewhere on the net you could likely discover the front axle weight rating for the truck. This'll give you an idea about whther the weight might be an issue or if it'll work fine.

Welcome to the board!

Jim

Length: 48", width: 39", height: 52". Weight: 2500lbs. I've tried to find the axle ratings and engine compartment sizes, but no luck.

May also be looking for a running, doesn't have to be pretty, 2 or 3-71 detroit. How much do they usually run?

I know that I am resurrecting an old thread but I have a couple things to input ... the DD engines can be picked up fairly reasonably any where that there is very much oil feild or mining in the erea ... lots of old pumps and blowers were ran on these engines ....

If someone wants a couple 4-53 engines I have two of them in my boat ... I would like to replace them with either 6BT's or 4BT's ... I just lneed to find the front and rear acceries for the one that runs in reverse ... and the 4-53 is not capable of 170 HP on its own w/o going to a twin turbo setup ... and you would have a hard time cooling it at that HP ... the ones in my boat have 92 series infectors in them and the big turbos ... and then an even larger turbo that runs both engines and are putting out 175 each ... but not capable of that running independently ... and they have unlimited cooling capacity with oversized oil coolers and cooled by the ocean water ... through brass heat exchangers ...

My boat is a 31' mahogany boat thats 11.5' wide ... and weighs a whopping 27Klbs ... Its a major load on my chevy ..