Thread: Turbo in a GMC 2500 6.2L Diesel '85 Vandura

Default Turbo in a GMC 2500 6.2L Diesel '85 Vandura

Hi,
    i am new here and sorry, i am from Germany. So please excuse if my English and my grammar sucks.

Does anyone of you guys have experience, pics, drawings, suppliers how and where to install a turbocharger, crosspipe, Air intake in to this Van ?
    The engine is already appart and i am starting now to put it together.
    The enginecompartment is pretty tight, not much space to add some more things.
    Its also a challenge to change the glowplug on front driversite .

When i took it apart, i found out the outlet valve is pretty clean, but not the intake valve. Also the intake mainfold is (was) black, dirty and graese.

Have anyone a glue ?
    Thx

Juergen
    Attached Images Attached Images

I've never had much luck getting info from there website - is there a way to just get a sense of what they offer in terms of retrofit parts and so on? I am not in a position to seriously consider buying right now, but I'd like to know more.........

Also, several years ago, there was a fellow on here who'd posted pictures of a home-built install he did using the factory hummer turbo exhaust manifolds and aftermarket (Banks type) turbo intake and a bunch of pipe and what-not - came out looking pretty slick....... he had it in a Dodge van (of all things) - haven't seen a trace of that since, but it made it look pretty doable for a reasonable budget.

My van could use a little boost - especially at altitude, so I'm thinkin' someday......

Thanks, Jim
    Gavio
    '83 Chevy G20 Van 6.2
    burnin' biodiesel whenever I can get it......

Smile

I have a Banks unit in my van, 1985 GMC, it fits faily tight. The turbo sits on the right side in the front. The exhaust pipe runs down the outside of the frame rail and then crosses under the frame and connects up to the factory exhaust. It runs good, boost up to around 8lbs.

I can try to get some pictures, without the doghouse off, if you are interested.
    - 2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT Duramax Crewcab LBZ

A few pictures would be great. How can the turbo fit on the right side at front ?
    I cant imagine that. Each hint to install a turbo is appreciated.

Thanks
    juergen
    Van Vandura 6,2L V8 Diesel 1985 currently 19 mpg

Do you still have the van by chance?

No I sold it quite a few years ago to my neighbour. He uses it for a seniors home.
    - 2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT Duramax Crewcab LBZ