Thread: How many bullets does it take to make you feel better...

Default NO start on another 6.5

Im SICK of this truck! It was running but had a CEL for bad optical sensor so I said **** it and left it for 4 years. I came back to it and put in a new injector pump and filter, it had a hard time starting but I figured that was normal with a new pump. But now you can turn it over for 5 minutes and you get no more then a sputter, then an hour later after 30 seconds of cranking it starts, runs good, then an hour later 10 minutes of starting and nothing...

It has new filters, IP and module, injectors, turbo, oil change, ect..

And me about to take a sledge hammer to it!

Oh and its weak! With it running in drive I can hold my foot on the brake and floor it and I get smoke black smoke but the truck wont push past the brakes.
    Last edited by mark458; 09-16-2019 at 10:26.

After sitting for four years, what did you do with the fuel? Everything clean and fresh? Or trying to use what was there?
    '94 GMC 6.5TD K1500 4L80E 2-Door Yukon SLE 221K
    '93 Chevrolet 6.5TD K2500HD NV4500 Std. Cab Longbed 187K
    '85 Toyota 22R RN60 4x4 Std. Cab Shortbed 178K (Currently retired for rebuild)
    Diesel Page Member #2423

Arrow

While fuel can be an issue, 4 years of doing nothing can, and often does, generate a whole laundry list of issues long before fuel goes sour (50 years or more, in my experience). Namely, sensors and solenoids, such as the wastegate solenoid, and failure of the vacuum pump and related plumbing (no boost = black smoke). A hardened, frozen or cracked diaphragm doesn't make much vacuum, nor does cracked hard lines or rubber hoses. It sounds like something(s) simple. You just need to find what nature has fouled in all that time.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Quote Originally Posted by DmaxMaverick View Post
    While fuel can be an issue, 4 years of doing nothing can, and often does, generate a whole laundry list of issues long before fuel goes sour (50 years or more, in my experience). Namely, sensors and solenoids, such as the wastegate solenoid, and failure of the vacuum pump and related plumbing (no boost = black smoke). A hardened, frozen or cracked diaphragm doesn't make much vacuum, nor does cracked hard lines or rubber hoses. It sounds like something(s) simple. You just need to find what nature has fouled in all that time.
    I will check that out later today!

This morning it fired right up like it never had a problem... it did 5 times... -.- 2 seconds max to start all 5 times...

Arrow

That's great! Getting a good start is the majority of the battle. Address the other issues as they come, one at a time. Please make use of the sticky posts at the top of this forum, and the 6.2L/6.5L Tech forum. 4 decades of experience from hundreds of contributors may be of some help. If you don't find what you're looking for, just give a holler. We're always here.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Quote Originally Posted by DmaxMaverick View Post
    That's great! Getting a good start is the majority of the battle. Address the other issues as they come, one at a time. Please make use of the sticky posts at the top of this forum, and the 6.2L/6.5L Tech forum. 4 decades of experience from hundreds of contributors may be of some help. If you don't find what you're looking for, just give a holler. We're always here.
    I have been but I have yet to run across a post that says " wouldn't start for a day even with starter fluid but started perfect the next..."