Thread: Sinister cat fuel filter filter conversion

Default Sinister cat fuel filter filter conversion

I purchased this conversion but did not install. I'm concerned about the water in fuel feature in the OEM set up. Does TDP have a position on this conversion?
    Anyone?
    Thanks
    OSS.

I am not a fan of a Cat filter conversion. If you want to do yourself some good add another filter.

The OE filter is a multi layer design. It has a bad reputation for being inadequate that stemmed from the early units being single layer. Cat gained mythological 2 micron status from being overrated while being untested to common standard.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!

Default is more filtration still necessary

John, seeking your and others opinions on the question, Is additional fuel filtration still necessary? Wouldn't you think GM has solved the problem by now. I'm considering a new 2020 and wonder if I should be looking for a place to install additional filtration, but I wonder if that problem hasn't been solved by now.
    02 2500HD LT D/A SB CC 4X4 BLACK, Westin stainless nerf bars, BW GN Hitch,Racor 60S post oem fuel filter, Oil Guard bypass engine oil Filter. All synthetic fluids. Kennedy boost valve, edge, Modified air intake,EGT & Boost digital gauge,TransferFlow combo fuel & tool box, Air Lift Suspesion Bags Rear & compressor with remote, Bilsteins front & rear, Frontier front replacement bumper.

My 06 K3500 came with a cat filter in the left rear wheel well as a prefilter. Have changed it to a Donaldson filter and have Donaldson filters on rest of truck. They work great.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government."
    -Patrick Henry

A5150nut
    2006 K3500 D/A
    94 6.5 4x4 5spd Sold

Arrow

For decades, GM located the fuel filter(s) in their diesel pickups in the engine bay. This was done partly for service access, but also to allow some of the under-hood engine heat to help prevent gelling during the winter months.

Here in Montana (and most northern states) the highway department uses road de-icer on the highways during the winter months. De-icer is terrible nasty awful stuff that corrodes everything that can possibly corrode. I would hesitate installing anything prone to corrosion in a wheelwell. Look for a location less exposed to road spray.

Quote Originally Posted by SoTxPollock View Post
    John, seeking your and others opinions on the question, Is additional fuel filtration still necessary? Wouldn't you think GM has solved the problem by now. I'm considering a new 2020 and wonder if I should be looking for a place to install additional filtration, but I wonder if that problem hasn't been solved by now.
    Depends where you source your fuel. In my case 99% of my fuel comes from my barrel, treated and double filtered before it gets to my truck tank. I do still buy some road fuel so I have my trucks equipped as well.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!