TheDieselPage.com Forums

The Diesel Page Forums

2019 - TDP's 23rd Anniversary
What's New | Feature Articles | Product Reviews | Member's Area | Free Forum Registration
Duramax 6600 Diesel Page | Advertiser's Section | Classified Ads | The Diesel Page - Publications

Go Back   TheDieselPage.com Forums > The Diesel Page Forums > 6.2L Diesel
Register FAQ Members List Photo Album Mark Forums Read

6.2L Diesel 1982-93 6.2L Diesel - Welcome to the Internet's first discussion forum for the 6.2L engine.

Old 04-14-2019, 09:50 AM
Enthusiast

Hi Delta
As a GM guy i havn't seen a adapter like your new one.
I would use some pipe cut to lenght and long bolts for a temp solution
You could maybe use a piece of box tubing as well if it comes in the right size.
Are your plans to replace it?
And what was the reason for removing the tranny in the first place?
Thomas
90 Chev 3500 c/c 4x4,6.2na,400 auto,4:10 gears.DSG Timing gears,main girdle, isspro tach, pyro,boost,oil and trany temp.Dual Tstats, High volume peninsular pump,on shelf, Custom turbo and intercooler 85%complete. Change of plans for the dually, it's going to get a Cummins. Both trucks are Blue 90 4x4 crews
Old 04-14-2019, 10:02 AM
Diesel junkie

It looks like the case is clocked down a lot from the pics?

owner - Twisted Steel Performance

porting, ceramic & powder coating

like us on Facebook
Old 04-15-2019, 01:11 PM
Enthusiast

I haven't found out what exactly it goes to yet other than it looks like the 86-89 type. I was just thinking about using square pipe and and some nuts, but I do not have a welder. So I will use washers and a long blot if it lines up. I could see if I can find a 3 in rectangle or square tube and a 1/4" flat stock that would do it.

If it works I really do not have a plan to replace if as I found new aluminum ones that are like 400 bucks.

I remove the transmission as I bought the truck used, and had leaks everywhere, and I didn't get much out when I drained it. So I wanted to check out the transfer case and transmission. so out they came.

That is how it I got it and it seems to be the only way to get the drive shaft to the front without hitting the transmission mount.

If it isn;t right then I can not find any information or photos of the correct way as everyone pretty much has aftermarket parts and different transmissions and transfer cases.
Old 04-24-2019, 10:40 PM
Enthusiast

Ok, So I got it in and made a 6 inch space out of steel tube, the clutch wouldn't engage, so I look at the adjuster and it looks pretty worn, so I adjusted it past the nut to see if that was it, heard a load thud and the ball on the bell housing snap some threads, so now it will not go back in.

Time to find a new bell housing, so if the clutch isn't engaging but I can watch the fork move, I assume it is the adjuster rod. so now I need to pick that up as well, plus fluids for the transmission and transfer case. still looking at 200 plus to get these done, I just hope the clutch works when I get it back together. just wish payday would get here faster.

anyway, if you guys have any other ideas to try after I get the new parts let me know. Also, thanks to everyone fore helping. I knew better than to tackle this project.
Old 05-21-2019, 07:35 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sctrailrider View Post
It looks like the case is clocked down a lot from the pics?
Do you have a stock photo for the 82 K2500. At this point I an not even sure this is the right crossmember. This was the only spot I could get the shaft not to rub and still shift the transfer case.
Old 05-21-2019, 05:25 PM
Diesel junkie

No I don't.... I would think their would be a pic on the web somewhere...

owner - Twisted Steel Performance

porting, ceramic & powder coating

like us on Facebook
Old 05-30-2019, 10:06 PM
Enthusiast

All of the ones I see all look different from one another, I need to get my hand on a GMC printed shop book. I could do a lot with that. LMC trucks doesn't have one, but classic parts of America have a tubular "universal" cross-member. which is good as both are down the road from me.

Edit, I have one now, downloaded it. One more stupid question as I am not a mechanic nor do I play one on TV. Putting the top cover on the transmission, what is the easiest way to do it? I heard or read somewhere that if you put it in Half in R it will slide in. but I would like a reference on how the gears in side should be lined up as well. but I can not really find a video or anything one it.

Last edited by DeltaWolf; 05-30-2019 at 10:28 PM.
Old 05-31-2019, 07:41 AM
Enthusiast

From what I remember, the other gears are in the neutral position, and reverse is engaged halfway. It's definitely a little tricky, make sure the other shifter forks will fall into the slots on the gear sliders as you lower it. Hope that helps. Joe.
Old 05-31-2019, 05:09 PM
Enthusiast

Joe, that's what I had read, just didn't know how true it was, Once I get the clutch fixed I will try it to see if it is in correctly, the book was no help.