Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Excessive smoke 6.5

Exclamation Excessive smoke 6.5

Hello. I have a 1993 Chevy 6.5 diesel . This is my first diesel truck ever so I’m looking for guidance to get it working properly
    When I start the truck there is excessive white smoke the truck idles perfectly but produces black smoke when accelerating
    My question is where do I start everything I find online it’s for 94 and up
    Thanks in advance for any help

Being a 93 it's a manual injection pump motor, no computer. You should start with checking or changing the fuel filter & air filter, the Glow plug system would be next, the lift pump is mounted on the frame rail under the driver side of the cab, with the motor idling, open the filter drain valve, it should be a brass "T" looking thing mounted to the thermostat crossover, if the motor stumbles or quits the lift pump isn't working.

Look it the "stickys" at the top of the forum list, I think their is a list of things to check better than what gave..

Anyway, try these things and report back...
    1993 Chevy K3500

owner - Twisted Steel Performance

porting, ceramic & powder coating

like us on Facebook

Lots of info here, it's the tech section....

https://www.thedieselpageforums.com/...splay.php?f=22
    1993 Chevy K3500

like us on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by sctrailrider View Post
    Being a 93 it's a manual injection pump motor, no computer. You should start with checking or changing the fuel filter & air filter, the Glow plug system would be next, the lift pump is mounted on the frame rail under the driver side of the cab, with the motor idling, open the filter drain valve, it should be a brass "T" looking thing mounted to the thermostat crossover, if the motor stumbles or quits the lift pump isn't working.

Look it the "stickys" at the top of the forum list, I think their is a list of things to check better than what gave..

Anyway, try these things and report back...
    Thank you for this information. The air filter was dirty and was just replaced. Is there anything I need to know about replacing the fuel filter? Or is just pretty straightforward?

Quote Originally Posted by Swatravels View Post
    Thank you for this information. The air filter was dirty and was just replaced. Is there anything I need to know about replacing the fuel filter? Or is just pretty straightforward?
    I also noticed the waste gate actuator does not move at all with the truck on or off
    Last edited by Swatravels; 03-08-2019 at 17:42.

You will need to prim the fuel system after changing the filter, it might take a few cranks. Their is a priming harness that is plug & play that Kennedy Diesel or myself offer that makes the LP run during key on & a button to make it much easier to prime after a filter change. If your filter has the metal hold down ring used to tighten the filter down don't throw it away, find a AC Delco filter, the cheap aftermarket filters use plastic and aren't as good. It would be a good time to remove the filter housing and clean it, it's probably has junk in the bottom, and inspect the rubber fuel lines while your their, the best way is to remove the intake, it's easy to do just don't drop anything in the runners...
    1993 Chevy K3500

like us on Facebook

White smoke at startup is unburned fuel. I'd guess you have a few glow plugs burned out or you aren't waiting for them to heat up. It's been a long time, but I think there's a "Wait to Start" light on the panel.

Black smoke under load means too much fuel or too little air. Your air filter, the turbocharger, or a stuck open wastegate could cause that. I've also heard of cases where a plugged fuel filter resulted in black smoke, but can't figure out why that would be.

If you replace the fuel filter you will need to bleed the air out of it. The filter has a black bleeder knob on top. IIRC, if you put the trans in drive and try to start it the fuel pump will run and purge the filter, but I could be wrong about that... (Got rid of the '93 15 years ago...)

If the electric lift pump isn't working you'll also have unusual running problems. Most common failure mode is the oil pressure switch that powers the pump. Kennedy Diesel sells a neat kit to add a fuel pump relay and solve that issue forever.

The wastegate is spring loaded and only moves when maximum boost is reached. You should be able to move it by hand, though, against the spring. The rod pulls out of the canister (unless it's stuck out already.)
    The Constitution needs to be re-read, not re-written!

If you can't handle Dr. Seuss, how will you handle real life?

Current oil burners: MB GLK250 BlueTEC, John Deere X758
    New ride: MB GLS450 - most stately
    Gone but not forgotten: '87 F350 7.3, '93 C2500 6.5, '95 K2500 6.5, '06 K2500HD 6.6, '90 MB 350SDL, Kubota 7510

The 93's have a manual wastegate, it may be stuck open so no boost, it would be a good idea to have a boost gauge, but for now, spray some penetrating spray on the locations that move, you should be able to figure it out, work the parts and see if you can free it up without breaking something... A boost gauge will let ya know if the gate is working or not...
    1993 Chevy K3500

like us on Facebook

Default Glow plugs

Quote Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
    White smoke at startup is unburned fuel. I'd guess you have a few glow plugs burned out or you aren't waiting for them to heat up. It's been a long time, but I think there's a "Wait to Start" light on the panel.

Black smoke under load means too much fuel or too little air. Your air filter, the turbocharger, or a stuck open wastegate could cause that. I've also heard of cases where a plugged fuel filter resulted in black smoke, but can't figure out why that would be.

If you replace the fuel filter you will need to bleed the air out of it. The filter has a black bleeder knob on top. IIRC, if you put the trans in drive and try to start it the fuel pump will run and purge the filter, but I could be wrong about that... (Got rid of the '93 15 years ago...)

If the electric lift pump isn't working you'll also have unusual running problems. Most common failure mode is the oil pressure switch that powers the pump. Kennedy Diesel sells a neat kit to add a fuel pump relay and solve that issue forever.

The wastegate is spring loaded and only moves when maximum boost is reached. You should be able to move it by hand, though, against the spring. The rod pulls out of the canister (unless it's stuck out already.)
    Thank you for that information. The glow plugs do have a light on the dashboard. I do wait for the light to go out. I’ll try installing a new fuel filter and glow plugs . Hopping that will help

The 93's have a manual wastegate, it may be stuck open so no boost, it would be a good idea to have a boost gauge, but for now, spray some penetrating spray on the locations that move, you should be able to figure it out, work the parts and see if you can free it up without breaking something... A boost gauge will let ya know if the gate is working or not...
    Great idea. I’ll do that and see if it helps

Have you had a chance to check the items already listed?
    1993 Chevy K3500

like us on Facebook

Default Lift pump

I’ll be replacing the glow plugs very soon. My question is. When I turn on the Ignition key I’m supposed to hear the lift pump or not? If I go to the junction box on the fire wall and jump the fuel pump fuse I can hear the pump

Default T valve

I’m checking the T valve at the moment. It’s hard to turn245A7AA5-483A-4BC7-BDB3-D15432CD2E17.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Swatravels View Post
    I’m checking the T valve at the moment. It’s hard to turn245A7AA5-483A-4BC7-BDB3-D15432CD2E17.jpg
    Got the T valve loose shortly after engine dies

Angry

The lift pump must be weak if you heard it when jumping it but the engine dies when you open the T valve.

Sorry about the mad face up top. My daughter did it and I couldn’t figure out how to delete it.
    2000 6.5 Chevrolet K3500 Longbed 4 Door, 4L80E, Turbo Master, Gooseneck Hitch, 300,000 miles original engine

Default About the angry face

Quote Originally Posted by Jaryd View Post
    The lift pump must be weak if you heard it when jumping it but the engine dies when you open the T valve.

Sorry about the mad face up top. My daughter did it and I couldn’t figure out how to delete it.
    That’s funny . I’m thinking a new lifter pump might be need it

Quote Originally Posted by JohnC View Post

I have being messing with the wastegate rod. I can move it towards the firewall about half an inch, i feel it should move more than that am i wrong? If indeed the wastegate is stuck. How do I go about opening it?

I would disconnect the rod and continue to spray the lube, check the rod and see how much it moves in the canister part, it might need some lube also..

The arm the rod connects to on the housing should move easy by itself, if it's tight some lube might help, if it doesn't it's time to consider a turbo rebuild... while your their, remove the rubber hose on the turbo inlet and see how the blades spin, they also should spin easy, if it doesn't the turbo is ready for a rebuild as it's coked up, the older ones are good at that due to their age...
    1993 Chevy K3500

like us on Facebook