Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Detroit Diesel

Default 1994 Chevy silverado 1500 pick up detroit Conversion

hey every one i am a little lost with my Conversion i have two motors 4-53 and a 4-71 Detroit's and i really don't know what one would be best and could i also use my 5 speed manual tranns that's in the truck now witch is on a 350 and also what about the weight and the rear end so if anyone got any tips i should would be thankful

Default Tranny

Given that you have a 1500, I doubt that the NV3500 you have right now could take the kind of torque that it would get behind these engines. As for your rearend, you have either a 8 1/2" rear or if you have a 6 bolt 1500, you have a 9.5". The 9.5" would stand up better to a diesel for sure.
    1993 HD2500- 4X4, Nv4500, rc/lb, Lots of mods, killed her. Awaiting her TT rebuild!

2002 Camaro L36/M49- Killed In Action

1995 HD2500 - 4X4, NV4500 rc/lb, GL4, Turbo, exhaust

1994 HD2500- 4X4, NV4500, ec/lb

Quote Originally Posted by 6.5 Detroit Diesel View Post
    Given that you have a 1500, I doubt that the NV3500 you have right now could take the kind of torque that it would get behind these engines. As for your rearend, you have either a 8 1/2" rear or if you have a 6 bolt 1500, you have a 9.5". The 9.5" would stand up better to a diesel for sure.

but would the tranny fit it ????

Quote Originally Posted by MRHELLBILLYDELUXE View Post
    but would the tranny fit it ????
    I cannot be certain about the Nv3500 bellhousing bolting up to the 4-53 Detroit. That's the least of your worries, getting the correct clutch and flywheel to go with that would be a nightmare!

The Nv3500 is also not the strongest. From another gasser truck forum I have seen them grenade with just a little over 500 ft.-lb, they are only rated at 300 ft.-lb. from New Venture.

From what i can remember the 4-53 Detroits came with a Clarke 280 Vo 22 5 spd. with overdrive as one option.

As for the rear, the 8.5 inch 10-bolt that is in your Silverado is not going to handle the torque. I am almost 100% sure GM equipped a 14-bolt SF rear that came with 6-lugs. They are very rare and $$$$$, I know I have been looking for one. These rears are almost a bolt in. Otherwise you will have to look into alot of fabrication.

Ask this guy what he did. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3qyR2z8xEs
    Late Model Specialties
    94 Camaro-6.5-4L80E-Holset vgt-WMI-DB2-3.42-stock longblock-8,500mi+
    96 Silverado C2500 ECSB-vin "S"-6.5-4L80E-3.42-FTB-relocated PMD-travel cruiser-203,000 mi+

Quote Originally Posted by Rafedial1 View Post
    I cannot be certain about the Nv3500 bellhousing bolting up to the 4-53 Detroit. That's the least of your worries, getting the correct clutch and flywheel to go with that would be a nightmare!

The Nv3500 is also not the strongest. From another gasser truck forum I have seen them grenade with just a little over 500 ft.-lb, they are only rated at 300 ft.-lb. from New Venture.

From what i can remember the 4-53 Detroits came with a Clarke 280 Vo 22 5 spd. with overdrive as one option.

As for the rear, the 8.5 inch 10-bolt that is in your Silverado is not going to handle the torque. I am almost 100% sure GM equipped a 14-bolt SF rear that came with 6-lugs. They are very rare and $$$$$, I know I have been looking for one. These rears are almost a bolt in. Otherwise you will have to look into alot of fabrication.

Ask this guy what he did. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3qyR2z8xEs

so what would be the best way to go with the tranny and the rear?????

Default 4-53 or 4-71?

Hello HellBillyDeluxe. Maybe I can help you. I am talking about the 4-53 engine. What model is it? I put a 4-53T in a 1964 K10 suburban and it worked okay. I added 2 leaf springs to each side in the front. The rear was the original 10 rear end. I put different gears in it. I used 3.07:1 ratio gears. It held up fine. The trans was a manual 4 speed with granny low. It held up fine. The engine I used had N-50 injectors. What size does yours have? That might make a difference. I have GM part numbers for the adapters for the manual trans from engine to trans/bell housing but they might not be available anymore. It bolts up to the original crossmember for the trans. I have the part number for the flywheel too. It uses an 11 inch clutch and pressure plate I think. It is the original clutch size for my truck. You will need a return fuel line to the tank. I have my engine out now for a rebuild with cross-head pistons. Hopefully I can get it running again this year. Good luck and let me know if you have any questions!

wish i had pictures but my dad and his cousin put a 6v53 in his 78 c30.

bent something upfront slightly...went through front tires in about 1500miles.

they said it bolted straight up to the 4spd trany.

my plans for the truck were to go to a drivetrain from one of these

i've since picked up a 95 6.5 k2500 and gave my dad his truck back.

i would in the future like to get one of these K3500HD's with a crew cab and put a regular pickup bed on it.

then stick a 6v in there.
    95 Sierra, K2500, 4x4: $1,000.00................
    two new heads and headbolt sets: $951.00..
    Miscellanious gaskets parts etc: $1,000.00...

Having a reliable truck that will get my
    camper, my jeep, my girlfriend, me,
    and some of our stuff, to Nashville to start
    my music career: Priceless.......................

Quote Originally Posted by journeyman View Post
    I had a 4-53 in an IH travelall. Things I disliked: Noise (but that is exactly what you LIKED), fuel economy (only got 12-13 mpg). Things I liked: Power and torque.
    My boss had a 4-71 in an old work truck and it always sounded a lot more "sedate" than mine (lower rumble, smoother), not sure why.

If you want to go with the aluminum 4-71, I would recommend investing in an Allison 1000 transmission (if you want A/T) or one of the newer 6 or even 7 speed manuals. The DDAD's rev like there's no tomorrow, but they don't like to lug. Right gears will make the whole experience a LOT better.

I worked at a Detroit Diesel/Allison shop for years. The rotors inside the blower are shaped differently on a 53 series than the other series Detroits (71, 92, etc). The 53 rotors are straight while the 71 are twisted into a spiral shape. That's why a 53 series is louder than a 71, the extra noise from a 53 is coming from the blower.

I am now on the hunt for an aluminum block Detroit Diesel. In fact, an engine with aluminum heads and front/rear covers would be ideal.

6V-53 preferrable, but I am also considering a 4-53.

Obviously, I'm willing to pay shipping costs to get it here, so then naturally aluminum would be nicer for that as well.

Running or not, if its an aluminum block I would like to get my hands on it.

Thanks.
    2011 VW Jetta TDI, pretty well loaded without leather.
    2006 GMC Sierra D-max, 4x4, 4 door, bumper, winch, Espar heater, and the HID lights are a nice touch too.....
    1986 GMC 3500, 454 on propane, 4 speed, 4x4, crew cab dually......the welding truck
    1984 Toyota 4x4 pickup, 4.3 V6, 700R4, Toyota t-case.......transforming into 4x4 cage buggy

Since we're on the subject of aluminum Detroits, here's a pic of my aluminum 4-71 in my 1 ton Silverado.

A lot has been done to the motor (ceramic coated piston domes and teflon coated skirts), Jet-hot coated exhaust (and turbo), etc. It will also be intercooled. I have a 10 speed Roadranger to go behind it.

Keep us posted on your 4-71 build please. I to am considering the same engine for a Ford F-450 4X4 conversion in the future. Was going to to go with the 4-53T with an RTO6610, but am now looking at the 4-71T with RTO6610 or RTLO14613. The only drawback I can see with the 4-71 is the weight. The difference is around 600 pounds with the transmission, which is a fair amount. I can easily get a front differential that can take the weight, but the main problem I see is getting stuck off road? Weighting for someone who has done this for some feedback for offroad applications. The last thing I want is to get this truck stuck up to the bumper and have to try and tow it out of the bush. lol

Quote Originally Posted by A-310 View Post
    The only drawback I can see with the 4-71 is the weight.
    That's why I went with an aluminum motor.

Quote Originally Posted by ARAMP1 View Post
    That's why I went with an aluminum motor.
    Have you weighed the cast iron block and compared it to the aluminum block? Just curious as how much savings there is?

A-310, I ran a 3-71N off and on for 10 years in a 79 Chevy crewcab. Some times I used a 454 and some times I'd put in a 6.2 diesel. I liked it real well but it was very heavy in the front. It was 2WD and when you got off the road you might as well forget about going very far. I was hauling boy scouts into a camping site and had to go up a small hill and it was a little wet and I just barely got started up and lost traction. A little 4WD Toyota had to pull me in. You have to have an overdrive transmission or very tall tires to get any road speed with a 71 series. I had a 25% overdrive and 3.21 1 ton axle. I now have a 4-53T in the truck with a 5 speed direct drive transmission and a 3 speed auxiliary that is abot 27% overdrive and still have the 3.21 axle. It's been in there 13 years with no other swaps.
    A 4-53T weighs 1300
    3-71N 1525
    4-71N 1780
    4-71T 1830
    6V53N 1485
    6V53T 1695
    I believe the best one to go with is the 4-53T, mine is supposed to be 170HP and it definitely runs better than the 3-71N did.

You will have to make motor mounts and brackets to mount the belt driven accessories. This forum http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/DetroitDiesel/ has a lot of good info for Detroit swaps. They say your RPM at cruising speed, say 65MPH or what ever speed you plan to cruise at, should be 2,200- 2,300 for a 4-53N and 1,800 -1,900 for a 4-53T. That's where you get the best economy.
    My avatar is the 2 transmission in the truck.
    Last edited by oshpunit987; 11-12-2009 at 19:42. Reason: forgot some thing

Quote Originally Posted by oshpunit987 View Post
    A-310, I ran a 3-71N off and on for 10 years in a 79 Chevy crewcab. Some times I used a 454 and some times I'd put in a 6.2 diesel. I liked it real well but it was very heavy in the front. It was 2WD and when you got off the road you might as well forget about going very far. I was hauling boy scouts into a camping site and had to go up a small hill and it was a little wet and I just barely got started up and lost traction. A little 4WD Toyota had to pull me in. You have to have an overdrive transmission or very tall tires to get any road speed with a 71 series. I had a 25% overdrive and 3.21 1 ton axle. I now have a 4-53T in the truck with a 5 speed direct drive transmission and a 3 speed auxiliary that is abot 27% overdrive and still have the 3.21 axle. It's been in there 13 years with no other swaps.
    A 4-53T weighs 1300
    3-71N 1525
    4-71N 1780
    4-71T 1830
    6V53N 1485
    6V53T 1695
    I believe the best one to go with is the 4-53T, mine is supposed to be 170HP and it definitely runs better than the 3-71N did.

You will have to make motor mounts and brackets to mount the belt driven accessories. This forum http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/DetroitDiesel/ has a lot of good info for Detroit swaps. They say your RPM at cruising speed, say 65MPH or what ever speed you plan to cruise at, should be 2,200- 2,300 for a 4-53N and 1,800 -1,900 for a 4-53T. That's where you get the best economy.
    My avatar is the 2 transmission in the truck.

Thanks for the info. As much as I love the 4-71T, I have decided to go with the 4-53T and a Fuller RTO6610 for my project truck. Recurring nightmares of getting the 4-71T stuck made up my mind, LoL. I've found a 1987 Silver 4-53T that runs but needs an overhaul, so will be purchasing it in the next few days and having it shipped to my dads shop. I think it will have all the power I need, so that's what I've decided to go with. This is a long term project, (3 years) until I get back to Canada, so at the moment I'm collecting all the parts for the build. I'll post some pictures of the engine and a video of the first start before I overhaul it. Thanks again for the help. Do you have any video's or pictures of your setup?
    A-310

P.S Sorry for hijacking this post

I don't have any videos but I have a bunch of pictures. I don't know how to put them on here but I could email them to you.

Quote Originally Posted by oshpunit987 View Post
    I don't have any videos but I have a bunch of pictures. I don't know how to put them on here but I could email them to you.
    That would be great. My email is emerald310@gmail.com. Thanks A-310

I'll take some pics too if you got 'em!

aramp1@gmail.com

Default detroit diesel

hi everyone! this is my first time on this so i dont really no how it works. i joined because i wanted to find out more info on detroit swaps into trucks. i have a 59 chevy one ton with the original napco 4x4 and i wanted to do a 4-53t swap. i was wondering where i could find a bell housing to fit a clark 5 speed? and also i need to find out where i can get a flywheel and a clutch? i wanted to locate all this kinda stuff before i started the project.

Default 5.7 diesel 350 olds engine

Hey guys & girls, I was hoping someof you here may have some experience and recomendations on this......

So I had been planning on dropping my spare Humvee 6.2 into my truck (86 GMC 3/4Ton 4x4 6.2L+th400+4:10's+AC all stock) when my orginal 6.2 siezed up. The problem is that when i dis-assembled the Humvee 6.2 to put new gaskets throughout I found spun rod bearings in #1-2 and a badly damaged crank. I just don't want to spend the money this year on a new build up.

So I have 79 2wd 1/2Ton that is very rusty with a bad th400 but a really strong Goodwrench 350DX unfortunately the milage is unknown but speedo says about 150k+ miles just have no idea when the engine was replaced during that 150k so the engine has something less than that, 75-100-125 who knows. it starts easy, runs great, gets great fuel milage.

I see the th400 bellhousings are different on the two trucks and the position of the engine mounts is different, and of course 6.2L truck is a 4x4 while the 5.7L truck is 2wd. It seems the biggest challenge is that bellhousing because of the position of the 5.7 vac pump and I'm not sure about bolt patterns matching up? (5.7 has the dip in the top of the bellhousing, th400 has the peak at the top).

Is there anyway to put the 5.7L into the 6.2L 4x4 truck with the chev th400 bellhousing? Has anyone done this before? Is there anything else to be aware of with this conversion?

This would be a short term temp setup until I rebuild the 6.2L next year sometime.

Also what about fitting a 6.5 TD into this 86 6.2L 4x4 w/AC? easy or hard?

Anything you can tell me would be great, thanks.
    Thomas Taylor