Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trans cooler

Hi
    One of the reasons that it pulls hard may be the tire size.
    It looks like 15" rubber by the pic. Make sure you have the tires at max pressure and see if that makes a difference.
    I have a car hauler with 16" rubber,my buddies trailer is built lighter with 15" rubber and it pulls harder loaded.
    Rolling resistance of a smaller tire that has a bigger contact patch because of lower air pressure.
    Thomas
    90 Chev 3500 c/c 4x4,6.2na,400 auto,4:10 gears.DSG Timing gears,main girdle, isspro tach, pyro,boost,oil and trany temp.Dual Tstats, High volume peninsular pump,on shelf, Custom turbo and intercooler 85%complete. Change of plans for the dually, it's going to get a Cummins. Both trucks are Blue 90 4x4 crews

Correct on 15 inch tires. It had D rated tires on it when I got it. I have replaced three tires recently with E rated. I run 65 in the old D rated tire and 75 in the other 3 tires.

If I get another trailer I would never get one this big again.

I can get 1000 degree exhaust temp just by flooring it passing a car without towing anything.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 94GMC2500; 07-02-2018 at 10:42.
    1995 K3500 Silverado extended cab dually auto trans. Diamond Eye exhaust, KOJO chip, manual boost control, HD cooling, PMD behind bumper, modified fan clutch.

Quote Originally Posted by 94GMC2500 View Post
    Correct on 15 inch tires. It had D rated tires on it when I got it. I have replaced three tires recently with E rated. I run 65 in the old D rated tire and 75 in the other 3 tires.

If I get another trailer I would never get one this big again.

I can get 1000 degree exhaust temp just by flooring it passing a car without towing anything.
    Is the soot trap still in the exhaust?
    90 Chev 3500 c/c 4x4,6.2na,400 auto,4:10 gears.DSG Timing gears,main girdle, isspro tach, pyro,boost,oil and trany temp.Dual Tstats, High volume peninsular pump,on shelf, Custom turbo and intercooler 85%complete. Change of plans for the dually, it's going to get a Cummins. Both trucks are Blue 90 4x4 crews

Nope, it has a diamond eye 4 inch without a muffler.
    1995 K3500 Silverado extended cab dually auto trans. Diamond Eye exhaust, KOJO chip, manual boost control, HD cooling, PMD behind bumper, modified fan clutch.

That would have been too easy...
    Is the crossover stock? There have been cases of the crossover having issues.

Another question ????
    When was the TDC offset done last.

Get it checked and get it in the -1.5 to -1.9 degree range. NO MORE

Will be a tad more rattle cold, but these numbers work well.
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

Looks like stock cross over.

Never had TDC offset checked since I have had it. Don't know anyone with a scanner to check it.

Well I think I have most of my problems fixed. When I put the late model HD cooling stuff on my truck a couple years ago I got a new so called HD fan clutch that was claimed to engage earlier than the original.

The other day I took the fan clutch off and re bent the coil so the fan engages at a lower temp, It might be engaging a little early now. But anyways I can hear the fan roar now where it had to be like 220 on temp gauge to hear the fan and it didn't last long like it was.

I put a second trans cooler on and with the fan doing something the trans temp dropped about 75 degrees and the water temp stays at where the thermostats open, about 180.

We have a pull this Saturday so I will find out for sure how much the fan running helps when I hook the big trailer on. I have a feeling its going to be way better. I guess never assume anything with new parts these days.

Quote Originally Posted by 94GMC2500 View Post
    The other day I took the fan clutch off and re bent the coil so the fan engages at a lower temp, It might be engaging a little early now. But anyways I can hear the fan roar now where it had to be like 220 on temp gauge to hear the fan and it didn't last long like it was.
    I did the same mod on my stock fan clutch a few years ago. Definitely one of the best things I did for cooling capabilities!

Casey
    1995 K1500 Tahoe 2 door, 6.5LTD, 4L80E, NP241, 3.42's, 285/75R16 BFG K02's; 1997 506 block; Kennedy OPS harness, gauges, Quick Heat plugs, and TD-Max chip; Dtech FSD on FSD Cooler; vacuum pump deleted, HX35 turbo, Turbo Master, 3.5" Kennedy exhaust, F code intake; dual t/stats, HO water pump, Champion radiator; Racor fuel filter

Hi All
    Any chance of a bit of direction on how to do the modification of the spring for others that would like to try it?
    Thanks Thomas

Thumbs up

Truck ran awesome today, New PMD and a fan clutch that works helps a lot lol.

Water temp never made it to 210 pulling trailer today, Trans temp and EGT were way down too. I backed my waste gate down a bunch and it would still pull 13 lbs on a hard pull. EGT would go to 1250 on a hard pull before, today on a long hill it was 1050.

But it sucked fuel like mad today. A little over 3/4 of a tank in 158 miles.