Thread: Remote Start

Exclamation Remote Start

It's not a diesel, but I asked this over in the Pontiac Forums and haven't got one reply. Plenty of looks, just no replies.

I have a 2005 and need to replace the remote door fob. I see there is another one that offers remote start and a module for remote start. Is this a plug and play? Is the module a receiver that works with the existing wiring / computer? Do they come from the factory pre wired to accept this? Is there an RPO code that would ID this ?

I know, so many questions. . . .

I know there have to be similarities, they are both GM. Any help here?
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government."
    -Patrick Henry

A5150nut
    2006 K3500 D/A
    94 6.5 4x4 5spd Sold

Arrow

I think you can do a lot better with an aftermarket alarm system with the remote start feature. They work well, and have more features than OEM. And, probably less than 1/4 the cost of an OEM upgrade.

I don't know if they are pre-wired (I doubt it). It will require the remote module, a BCM program, and probably more. For the cost of a couple OEM key fobs, you can do the aftermarket job.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Thanks Dmax,

IIRC, the fob was $13 more for the 5 button w/rs and the module is $38. Now what is a BCM program? Spose this is something I have to get done at the dealer? It's not critical, just need to replace the fob (already re soldered the battery strap back in) and thought if an upgrade was possible, why not now.

Got to love this site. A week on the Pontiac Forum and no answer. Get one here overnight!
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government."
    -Patrick Henry

A5150nut
    2006 K3500 D/A
    94 6.5 4x4 5spd Sold

Just a cute little story concerning remote start key fobs.

A couple years ago a friend of mine is telling me of his experience with the, then new, remote start on their SUV (O I hate that term)

He and his wife had just settled into bed and were getting cozy when they both hear the Rig start up in the garage, which is in the lower level of their home.

Quite disturbed and suprised they run down to the garage and find the car sitting there idleing away happily with all the doors locked. Hmmm, they never lock the doors in the garage, but they are locked.

Running back upstairs to retrieve the keys and get this situation under control reveals the keys to be nowhere in sight.

The wife runs off to get her purse and her set of keys.
    They shut the car down and then resume getting cozy in the bedroom.

This scenario repeats itself at least two more times in the next half hour.

Convinced that the car is either posessed or that it has an electrical issue the plan is made at once to have the car looked at by the dealerships shop.

The next morning at breakfast the childrens new KITTEN is seen hiking across the livingroom floor with what is left of the keyfob after a great time of chewing on it

Just had to share this.

OMG we laughed ourselves stupid when we heard the story.

I agree with Maverick on the merits of an aftermarket setup.

Far more options and much less trouble than trying to get the stuff from the dealer

Best

Robyn
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by a5150nut View Post
    Thanks Dmax,

IIRC, the fob was $13 more for the 5 button w/rs and the module is $38. Now what is a BCM program? Spose this is something I have to get done at the dealer? It's not critical, just need to replace the fob (already re soldered the battery strap back in) and thought if an upgrade was possible, why not now.

Got to love this site. A week on the Pontiac Forum and no answer. Get one here overnight!
    A good aftermarket kit will cost in the neighborhood of $300.

The BCM is the Body Control Module (computer). It manages everything electronic that's not engine/tranny (door locks, driver profiles, etc.). The PCM may need some attention, too. I don't know. To change option settings, it requires a Tech II, at the dealer or independent shop with one. Not required for an aftermarket solution.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com