Thread: Where can i find another A/C nut?

Default Where can i find another A/C nut?

The steel 3/8" A/C nut on the liquid refrigerant pipe on the condenser side is corroded and stripped. I plan on cutting off the nut,putting a new one on, with a "Splice-loc" line repair coupling. A new line is available, but it looks much easier and safer than running into another cranky fitting, and possibly having to replace the evaporator also. Where can i find another nut! Anybody got an extra !!!
    94 Chev Blazer, 6.5TD, 3.42, 4WD,Gear drive,,Remote FSD behind drivers headlight,,Mobil 1 in difs and trans,Rotella 30W, Over a quarter of a million miles !! Member -1.94 club.

Arrow

If the line measure 3/8" (0.375") O.D., you can use a 3/8" flare nut and backing sleeve (AN/MS #6). The threads should be the same. They are available in steel, aluminum and stainless steel. Use anti-seize compound or dielectric grease (tune-up or silicone) on the threads only, to prevent corrosion and future seizing.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Quote Originally Posted by DmaxMaverick View Post
    If the line measure 3/8" (0.375") O.D., you can use a 3/8" flare nut and backing sleeve (AN/MS #6). The threads should be the same.
    Be careful! Aviation flares are 37 degrees whereas most automotive stuff is 45 degrees.
    The Constitution needs to be re-read, not re-written!

If you can't handle Dr. Seuss, how will you handle real life?

Current oil burners: MB GLK250 BlueTEC, John Deere X758
    New ride: MB GLS450 - most stately
    Gone but not forgotten: '87 F350 7.3, '93 C2500 6.5, '95 K2500 6.5, '06 K2500HD 6.6, '90 MB 350SDL, Kubota 7510

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
    Be careful! Aviation flares are 37 degrees whereas most automotive stuff is 45 degrees.
    Correct, but it doesn't matter. The A/C fittings are O-ring sealed. All that's required is to hold it squarely in place with modest clamping force. A greater concern is using compression type fittings on the typically very soft and not-so-round A/C tubing. They are usually OK near straight ends if they haven't been damaged or bent. If the sleeve slides on, it should be fine. I don't know what aluminum is used, but it's significantly softer than aviation 5056 aluminum, and at the relatively low pressures, it doesn't present an issue.

An alternative is to replace the entire line set.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com