Thread: injector pump ?

Default injector pump ?

Hey guys so i'm dealing with black smoke and no power & oil consumption!
    just rebuilt upper end two months ago. new heads and head gasket, studs etc. did a compression test before tear down , all in and around 300 psi so i went for it.
    turbo is making boost, did a leak down test all cylinders are fine.
    so it runs fine but no real power and black smoke like mad when i stomp on it.
    is it the injector pump? can a bad injector pump burn oil? where else could my oil be going? (and no it's not on the ground) lol
    Thanks for all your help
    merry Christmas and Happy holidaz

What is the year and model of your vehicle? That will help folks respond with better answers, since the 6.5L has used both mechanical and electronic injection pumps and turbo waste gate systems.

You probably have more than one issue going on here.

First, black smoke = lack of air, which is usually a result of low boost pressure. You say you have boost, how have you determined that? Do you have a boost gauge? The factory 6.5L turbo boost waste gate control system is prone to failure. It will allow boost at low RPM, and then open the waste gate and all allow exhaust gases to bypass the turbo and quit building boost right when you need it the most. Black smoke can also be the result of a clogged air filter. Either lack of boost or clogged air filter will also result in low power.

Second, oil consumption. What is the rate of oil consumption? Do you have any blue smoke coming out the exhaust? Black smoke is fuel, blue smoke is burning oil.

Casey
    1995 K1500 Tahoe 2 door, 6.5LTD, 4L80E, NP241, 3.42's, 285/75R16 BFG K02's; 1997 506 block; Kennedy OPS harness, gauges, Quick Heat plugs, and TD-Max chip; Dtech FSD on FSD Cooler; vacuum pump deleted, HX35 turbo, Turbo Master, 3.5" Kennedy exhaust, F code intake; dual t/stats, HO water pump, Champion radiator; Racor fuel filter

I guess that would help .. my bad bad ..
    I am in a 98 GMC Sierra 4x4 sle
    With a mechanical injection pump I think..?
    I’m running a aftermarket turbo with a mechanical waste gate ( heaths turbo master that isn’t made for this turbo but I kinda got it working ..?
    I’ve put spacers in and compressed the spring to its max with the treads on rod..
    Doing this definitely helped but still only showing 10 lbs boost at the gauge, and still getting some black smoke ..
    the air filter is a new k&n ..
    Wondering if I should just try a tenser spring?
    Seems waist gate is opening to easily. Not staying closed to boost pressure at low rpm when needed

I think the first thing I'd do is confirm the wastegate is opening. There are other things that can limit boost.

One test that's easy to do is to wire it shut and see what happens. Just be careful with the throttle to make sure you don't over boost it.

Your pump is electronic. Check for codes.

When you had the heads off is there any chance you could have messed up the cam or pump timing? When was the last time you changed the fuel filter?
    The Constitution needs to be re-read, not re-written!

If you can't handle Dr. Seuss, how will you handle real life?

Current oil burners: MB GLK250 BlueTEC, John Deere X758
    New ride: MB GLS450 - most stately
    Gone but not forgotten: '87 F350 7.3, '93 C2500 6.5, '95 K2500 6.5, '06 K2500HD 6.6, '90 MB 350SDL, Kubota 7510

The truck is electronic, and the IP should be also (check for a mechanical throttle cable, vs. only electrical connectors to the IP). If it isn't, for whatever reason, then electronics will have no affect on running or power. If still electronic and the wastegate system is still intact, the PCM will defuel if vacuum is too low or not present, or if the wastegate control solenoid is defunct or incorrectly connected. If you're using an aftermarket wastegate turbo and a full engagement Turbomaster type wastegate controller can't keep it closed, either the controller is much underrated, or your exhaust pressure is too great (first suspect), which may indicate the turbo is simply too small for the air needed (makes black smoke). Even if you have high boost pressure, too much exhaust pressure will nullify it. This can also lead to excessive oil consumption. 10 PSI boost with an appropriately sized turbo should provide enough charge air to clear up black smoke and minimize exhaust pressure. All that correct and still getting black smoke, the IP has gone south. Get your air induction system in order before suspecting anything else, though.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

My first diesel was a 1988 6.2 suburban. after I had owned it for maybe a year it would start to build up black smoke. If you let it build up a little black smoke it would send out a black cloud the size of the suburban when you punched it. Since I was new to diesel vehicles, I took it to a diesel truck dealer. This is where I learned how to use mechanics wire to make a clamp for vacuum lines. They tightened all the lines and set the timing an this solved my problem. I drove the car like this for a few weeks before getting it fixed and during that time I was coming home and a young girl was following me way to close. Going down the road at 60 mph and following someone less than two car lengths is way to close. So, I couldn't resist. I backed of on the fuel and let the smoke build-up. When I punched it a cloud of black smoke the size of the 6.2 covered her car. She backed off maybe a half city block and never came close for the rest of the time she was behind me.
    1995 Chev 4X4 1500 Suburban 6.5 TD,Phazer Gear Kit from JK, High Capacity Water Pump Kit from JK. Special Calibration fan clutch W/8 blade fan from JK
    1995 Chev 4X4 2500 Suburban 6.5 TD>>SOL-D (parts car)
    1999 Chev 4X4 2500 Suburban 454 "Gas Hog" with Hiniker C-Plow