Thread: Throttle issues and shutting down

Angry Throttle issues and shutting down

What yall my names luke and I have a 1996 c2500 2wd with the 6.5 with 280000 miles in it and she ran great forever and just recently she has been giving me this problem when I'm around 65, 70 mph she starts to shutter and try to cut out then I lose pedal response and she shuts down takes about ten minutes to get started then finally starts idles super rough then shuts down again then will finally start again and run ok I guess with some spuddering. I had the injector pump rebuilt about two years ago could it be the pmd again I'm just not sure i have been told that a bad oil pressure switch can cause issues like this tooShe threw one code and said it was the boost solenoid so j replaced that the map sensor the fuel filter and bought a new pedal assembly with sensor and new lift pump and injectors I have installed all the sensors up top and the fuel filter but havent installed the pedal assembly the injectors or the lift pump I'm just curious if anyone would know what's going on and if I have just wasted money on all of this but keep in mind the injectors are original and so is the lift pump and the pedal assembly this is my daily and my only mode of transportation any help would be appreciated.

Are there any other codes stored? Did you replace the boost solenoid? (Not that it would cause stalling.) Does the Check engine light come on? Have you verified the lift pump is working? Stop throwing part$ at it until you figure out what's going on.

For Diesel Page members, there's a comprehensive article on stalling here: https://www.thedieselpage.com/members/tt99-9.htm
    The Constitution needs to be re-read, not re-written!

If you can't handle Dr. Seuss, how will you handle real life?

Current oil burners: MB GLK250 BlueTEC, John Deere X758
    New ride: MB GLS450 - most stately
    Gone but not forgotten: '87 F350 7.3, '93 C2500 6.5, '95 K2500 6.5, '06 K2500HD 6.6, '90 MB 350SDL, Kubota 7510

Quote Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
    Are there any other codes stored? Did you replace the boost solenoid? (Not that it would cause stalling.) Does the Check engine light come on? Have you verified the lift pump is working? Stop throwing part$ at it until you figure out what's going on.

For Diesel Page members, there's a comprehensive article on stalling here: https://www.thedieselpage.com/members/tt99-9.htm
    There are no codes at all but everything I have read is pointing towards the oil preassure switch is causing it cause it runs the lift pump also

When was the fuel filter last changed ?????
    Sounds like it may be running out of fuel....this will cause stalling and hard restart.

You can check the lift pump operation by opening the fuel drain at the front of the engine by the water crossover with the engine running..fuel should flow and the engine should stay running...
    If the engine stalls the lift pump has issues likely.

The 96 does not use the same oil pressure switch or have issues that the earlier ones did.
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

Quote Originally Posted by Robyn View Post
    When was the fuel filter last changed ?????
    Sounds like it may be running out of fuel....this will cause stalling and hard restart.

You can check the lift pump operation by opening the fuel drain at the front of the engine by the water crossover with the engine running..fuel should flow and the engine should stay running...
    If the engine stalls the lift pump has issues likely.

The 96 does not use the same oil pressure switch or have issues that the earlier ones did.
    I just changed the fuel filter and I opened the t while running fuel was flowing out it did sputter alil bit but kinda kept running I'm just so over chasing this problem it ran fine to work this morning then sputtered out when I got to work but when I look up the oil pressure switch it says it runs the lift pump also

I just changed the lift pump about ten mins ago and when I took it off I heard a bunch of gurgling air noises and it started with no hesitation once the new one was installed

Would seem you vanquished the dragon..

A weak lift pump will usually result in fuel starvation at high power demands..

Keep us posted on how this follows up.
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

Quote Originally Posted by Robyn View Post
    Would seem you vanquished the dragon..

A weak lift pump will usually result in fuel starvation at high power demands..

Keep us posted on how this follows up.
    It's been a fight haha but now time for upgraded injectors to be installed

Does any of yall know of any decently priced tunes for the 96 6.5

Default ****ing bull****

So I have replaced the map sensor the boost sensor the fuel filter the lift pump and she is still sputtering then shutting down after driving for about 15 20 mins and I cant figure out why I was told a bad oil pressure switch can still be an issue I'm about to give up

The fuel filler cap should be on your list. If it doesn't vent right, it causes excessive pump suction vacuum, and will exploit the slightest air leak into the system. Using a gasser cap, working well or not, will do the same. The cap must be "Diesel Fuel Only". Fuel caps are cheap.

On 1996+ models (OBD II), the lift pump isn't reliant on the OPS for continued operation . The OPS is an issue on prior models, as it carries the full electrical load of the LP (in stock trim). However, the fuel pump relay, related wiring and the IGN switch is. Any of the above can cause intermittent issues. Also, anything under the hood is subject to greater temperature variations.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com