Thread: Where To Drill For 5th Wheel Trl Plug In Cargo Bed?

Default Where To Drill For 5th Wheel Trl Plug In Cargo Bed?

I am going to be installing a trailer plug for a fith wheel in the cargo bed. My question is where are you drilling the hole on a 2008 standard size bed? Pictures would be helpful if anyone has them.
    I will be using a new harness that plugs into the bumper harness and them run the plug end thru into the trailer bed.
    Thanks in advance,

Bill Small
    2020 GMC-3500 Denali
    CrewCab 4x4
    56 Gallon Titan Fuel Tank

2008 GMC CrewCab
    4x4 6.6L SLT-2 LMM Duramax
    Allison 1000 6 Spd. (SOLD)

Arrow

Most common is between the forward edge of the fender, and the front of the bed, about 4-6" above the floor (driver side). I install them rear of the fender, about 6" above the floor and about 4" from the rear ( from the corner where the sheet metal flattens). Much easier access, IMO (you don't have to reach over the bed rail), and you don't have to splice into the middle of the harness if you don't have the camper provision. You can also use a Tee connector (GM or Napa) at the trailer wiring connector (above the spare tire, near the bumper), which is a better option than cutting/splicing.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Quote Originally Posted by DmaxMaverick View Post
    Most common is between the forward edge of the fender, and the front of the bed, about 4-6" above the floor (driver side). I install them rear of the fender, about 6" above the floor and about 4" from the rear ( from the corner where the sheet metal flattens). Much easier access, IMO (you don't have to reach over the bed rail), and you don't have to splice into the middle of the harness if you don't have the camper provision. You can also use a Tee connector (GM or Napa) at the trailer wiring connector (above the spare tire, near the bumper), which is a better option than cutting/splicing.
    Thank you very much! I do have the Tee Conector that you mentioned.

Bill Small
    2020 GMC-3500 Denali
    CrewCab 4x4
    56 Gallon Titan Fuel Tank

2008 GMC CrewCab
    4x4 6.6L SLT-2 LMM Duramax
    Allison 1000 6 Spd. (SOLD)

Hi,

I confess that the last two fifth wheels I've owned, I just plug into the trailer plug that's already installed below the bumper. The power cord is long enough, it has never bound up or shown signs of wear, and saves me work.

FWIW.

Rich Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by richp View Post
    Hi,

I confess that the last two fifth wheels I've owned, I just plug into the trailer plug that's already installed below the bumper. The power cord is long enough, it has never bound up or shown signs of wear, and saves me work.

FWIW.

Rich Phillips

That is what I have been doing since I started pulling a 5th wheel. One less electrical connection to corrode.
    08 Blue Granite Silverado LTZ, DMax/Ally, CC/LB/4x4, Cab lights, Camper mirrors, Brake controller, Sunroof, Park assist, and skinny tires

06 Jetta TDI

00 Jayco 263RK (2nd home)

upgraded to an "09" Ranger 619VS/full windsheilds, w/an ETEC 225HO, T8 kicker, Minnkota 101 Terrova, and Lowrance electronics.

Real Trucks have LONG BEDS!

Quote Originally Posted by Runaway_Dmax View Post
    That is what I have been doing since I started pulling a 5th wheel. One less electrical connection to corrode.
    Less corrosion opportunities and just easier.
    Bob O.
    2004 K2500 DA LLY CC LT LB Wow! Edge w/A + BS + CAT pre fuel filter, 06 air box,
    2002 C6500 EC. 7.2 Cat NoMar rollback/ 92 C7500, 7.2 Cat, 25ton No-Mar / 2005 C5500 D/A rollback / 1969 Corvette 350-350 4spd AC T-top stock orginal
    XP850LE WOW nice ATV, 09-550XP hers, 03-Predator, 04 Honda400EX, 05-Banshee, 08-KTM525, 08 KFX700, 38' enclosed GN hitch